WR group coming together?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DasSchnitzel, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

6,113 Messages
    9,361 Likes Received
    So we can and/or likely will draft a slot receiver .......

2. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

6,113 Messages
    9,361 Likes Received
    Don't think he makes that far.....at least not to our pick.

3. BigCatMonaco

BigCatMonaco Well-Known Member

876 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    Wilson was the third highest graded draft eligible receiver in 2018, FWIW.

Furboy and 817Gill like this.
  4. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

4,101 Messages
    3,501 Likes Received

What does this mean? Graded by who? On what basis? Without that info WIW is roughly nothing.

Furboy likes this.
  5. BigCatMonaco

BigCatMonaco Well-Known Member

876 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    I assumed most people knew when talking about grades it comes from PFF.

Outlaw Heroes likes this.
  6. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

4,101 Messages
    3,501 Likes Received
    I suppose WIW is more than nothing. How much more is a real question, given that most teams passed on him 6 times. Might say more about PFF’s grades than it says about the player.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

7. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

9,340 Messages
    9,411 Likes Received
    I think they will reach a injury settlement with Hurns. He may not make it through camp. Was a pretty gruesome injury for a WR.

boysfaninMI likes this.
  8. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

9,832 Messages
    6,848 Likes Received
    You left out our secret weapon..

Rico "Doghouse" Gaithers.

The greatest TE to never play.

Now with Swain gone..

he is a lock.

9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

44,545 Messages
    31,251 Likes Received
    It looks a bit better to me even without Beas...though I think we may still add someone

• Cooper for a full >> Copper for a half year
    • Gallup in year 2 >> Gallup as a rookie
    • Hurns 2 years removed from ACL > Hurns 1 year after ACL
    • Wilson > no Wilson

Kaiser likes this.
  10. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

1,028 Messages
    1,820 Likes Received
    I agree, I dont see how people could feel the same way as last year.

Drop Thompson, Beasley. Add Wilson. Add a year of experience for Gallup, Cooper, and Dak working together. Hurns, Brown, Austin are a wash.

The only way we're the same or worse than last year is if Beasley and Thompson matter more than both Wilson and an additional year of experience for the top guys.

And if you look at this time last year we're lightyears ahead, as our top guy then was TWill and he was drunkenly biking and driving lambos and getting in trouble.

Roland and DFWJC like this.
  11. Mr_437

Mr_437 Well-Known Member

3,022 Messages
    3,130 Likes Received
    Question: #19 isn't available for 3 games, are you comfortable with...

WR1 - Gallup
    WR2 - Wilson/Hurns (rotate)
    WR3 - Austin
    WR4 - Brown

I'm not, after Coop n Gallup it's a crap shoot. I don't think Hurns will make the 53 at his price tag. I think Cowboys should draft a WR around the 4th or 5th round...Gary Jennings, Greg Dortch, Merecole Hardeman, DeMarkus Lodge, Jalen Hurd, Anthony Johnson, Travis Fulgham, Terry McLaurin, Hunter Renfrow, Hakeem Butler, Emmanuel Hall.

I really liked Devin Smith coming out of OSU, and he can stay healthy (big ?) with his speed he could be on the bubble.

jobberone likes this.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

40,139 Messages
    37,335 Likes Received
    I enjoy reading your posts.

Wilson was ahead of Gallup in training camp in terms of to play in an NFL offense.

I had Wilson and Gallup as 2 of the top 3 route runners in that draft.

I expect them to use a combination of players in the slot. Hurns, Austin, Wilson and some snaps for Cooper there.

It would be interesting to use Brown in the slot on occasion because he could block from there without having to motion down from the outside which tips off the play as a run.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

9,376 Messages
    16,309 Likes Received
    Noah Brown will be improved next year also, he is still younger today than Calvin Ridley was when he was drafted.

I think we draft a WR in the 4th or 5th round also.

I'm also starting to warm up to the idea of Hurns playing the slot on a restructured contract, I despised his play as the main option last year but he was good as the 3rd or 4th option once Amari Cooper was on board. He is apparently a good teammate as well, I thought he was a lock to be cut but I'm starting to come around on the idea of him as the slot guy.

jjktkk, JBell and DFWJC like this.
  14. Irvin88_4life

Irvin88_4life Well-Known Member

15,204 Messages
    16,651 Likes Received
    I'm not too smart but thats 5 days and yes Wilson looked better than Gallup before the injury. That being did Gallup now has an entire season of playing so i don't expect Wilson to look better now. Perhaps though he will have a season similar to Gallup last year.

15. 408Cowboy

408Cowboy Well-Known Member

2,081 Messages
    2,315 Likes Received
    Camp started on July 26th. He was injured on July 31st. I don't think you can really say he was that far ahead 5 days into camp.

xwalker likes this.
  16. boysfaninMI

boysfaninMI Well-Known Member

344 Messages
    282 Likes Received

Hey guys...what's up with Wilson? All I know is he went to Boise. Don't know alot about him frankly. TIA

17. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

3,200 Messages
    1,561 Likes Received
    Would love LJ Humphrey in the 5th if he’s available. If any receiver is drafted before the 5th, it will be a TE.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

9,376 Messages
    16,309 Likes Received
    This was the draft preview on him in Dane Brugler's guide:

CEDRICK WILSON | Boise State 6022 | 197 lbs. | SR.

STRENGTHS: Smooth strider with the vertical wheels to stretch the field…outstanding tracking skills over his shoulder…focused on deep throws to run underneath the ball…comfortable snatching away from his numbers…tall and long athlete…quick-footed in his line releases…vision in the open-field to weave through the defense…throttles up and down between gears to catch the pursuit off-balance…tougher than he looks and isn’t intimidated by contact after the catch…experienced returner, averaging 23.9 yards per kick return (31/742/0) and 13.2 yards per punt return (10/132/0) at BSU…senior captain and his coaches speak highly of his professionalism…steady performer and plays with the same demeanor no matter the stage or situation…played through a bum left ankle most of the 2016 season…productive in his two seasons in Boise, setting the single-season school record for receiving yards (1,511) as a senior…NFL bloodlines – father (Cedrick) played seven years in the NFL as a wide receiver (178 career catches), winning a Super Bowl with the Steelers in 2006.

WEAKNESSES: Lanky build with lean muscle definition…questionable play strength to defeat press coverage…can be out-physicaled mid-route and at the catch point…not a tackle-breaker after the catch…limited make-you-miss ability, especially in smaller areas…rounds in- and out-breaking routes…needs to introduce more nuance at the stem to sell routes – doesn’t fooled seasoned defensive backs…ball gets on him quickly at times, leading to double-catches or drops…missed playing time as a junior after tearing ligaments in his left ankle (Oct. 2016), requiring off-season surgery (Jan. 2017), which kept him out of spring drills.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Boise State, Wilson was the starting “X” receiver in the Broncos’ offense and lined up on both sides of the formation, running mostly verticals, underneath crossers and outs/digs. He became just the third Boise State receiver to post consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and is a quick study, especially considering he didn’t start playing the position until his first year at the JUCO level. Wilson has natural pass-catching skills and is very efficient from catcher to runner, but he isn’t physically impressive or much of a YAC threat. Overall, Wilson isn’t going to fool anyone with his current route tree, but is one of the best vertical threats in this draft class with his ability to stack-and-track downfield.

jjktkk and boysfaninMI like this.
  19. Mr_437

Mr_437 Well-Known Member

3,022 Messages
    3,130 Likes Received
    Wilson is a good WR, can go deep, excellent out routes, just a solid route runner.

boysfaninMI likes this.
  20. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

12,004 Messages
    5,316 Likes Received
    He was IR’d on the 31st but the injury occurred on the 28th during the first full padded practice. No reason to put any stock in one rookie looking better than another for the half of practice he participated in.