WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Source: http://www.rototimes.com

Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams are the likely starting receivers for Jacksonville this season, according to Jaguars.com. If that holds true, then Dennis Northcutt would likely move into the slot role as the number three receiver, with promising second-year pro Mike Walker following him on the depth chart at four. Troy Williamson, Matt Jones, and John Broussard will fight for the remaining spots, which may only be one.

Our View: Porter had a few solid seasons in Oakland, and racked up 44 receptions for 705 yards and six scores last season despite poor play at quarterback. Porter could rank as a solid sleeper candidate if he nails down a starting gig, with the consistent and efficient David Garrard delivering his passes in Jacksonville.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bungarian;2108047 said:

Do you have someone else in mind that you would prefer or would you rather simply go with the young receivers currently on Dallas' roster?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gryphon;2108044 said:
Source: http://www.rototimes.com

Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams are the likely starting receivers for Jacksonville this season, according to Jaguars.com. If that holds true, then Dennis Northcutt would likely move into the slot role as the number three receiver, with promising second-year pro Mike Walker following him on the depth chart at four. Troy Williamson, Matt Jones, and John Broussard will fight for the remaining spots, which may only be one.

Our View: Porter had a few solid seasons in Oakland, and racked up 44 receptions for 705 yards and six scores last season despite poor play at quarterback. Porter could rank as a solid sleeper candidate if he nails down a starting gig, with the consistent and efficient David Garrard delivering his passes in Jacksonville.

I think the recent trade from Minnesota gives Williamson a better than average chance to stick, and they had high hopes for Broussard if I remember correctly.

Given the relationship between Jones and Del Rio, I don't think his chances to stay are very good.

And I expect Del Rio to follow through on his intentions to keep Jones until late in the preseason.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a Superbowl contender whose best receiver nearly matched the numbers Crayton put up last year as our 3rd receiving option. They're letting Matt Jones go mainly because they don't like his attitude and effort. No thanks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idgit;2108127 said:
Here's a Superbowl contender whose best receiver nearly matched the numbers Crayton put up last year as our 3rd receiving option. They're letting Matt Jones go mainly because they don't like his attitude and effort. No thanks.

It amazes me how one factor gets totally dismissed:

As you said, their "best receiver nearly matched the numbers Crayton put up"

Does anyone else wonder why that is?

It just surprises me that people seem to place all blame on Matt Jones, while all the rest of the Jags receivers struggle as well.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2108141 said:
It amazes me how one factor gets totally dismissed:

As you said, their "best receiver nearly matched the numbers Crayton put up"

Does anyone else wonder why that is?

It just surprises me that people seem to place all blame on Matt Jones, while all the rest of the Jags receivers struggle as well.

I was referring to Porter, who wasn't a Jag last year, obviously. No matter how you cut it, the fact that Matt Jones didn't produce is not a chit in his favor. Neither is the fact that they're releasing him. He didn't produce relative to the rest of the league. If you want to adjust that b/c of the design of the Jags offense, then he didn't produce relative to the rest of his own roster. Either way, no thanks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idgit;2108156 said:
I was referring to Porter, who wasn't a Jag last year, obviously. No matter how you cut it, the fact that Matt Jones didn't produce is not a chit in his favor. Neither is the fact that they're releasing him.

You're right, I don't consider his being released an endorsement or a positive thing.

idgit said:
He didn't produce relative to the rest of the league.

I posted some numbers that showed that Matt Jones did a better job in his first three years than Alvin Harper did in his first three for the Cowboys. The silence was deafening. Jones, a guy making a positonal change to receiver put up better numbers than a guy who had played the positon in college. And I would venture to say that nobody called Harper a bust during his time in Dallas.

idgit said:
If you want to adjust that b/c of the design of the Jags offense, then he didn't produce relative to the rest of his own roster. Either way, no thanks.

I would mention that Jones did lead the Jaguars in receiving in 2006, so I wouldn't judge him solely on his 2007 season in which he was firmly in Del Rio's doghouse.

JonCJG

Reaction score
No thanks to Matt Jones.

Rather see those snaps go to Stanback or Austin.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KD;2108293 said:
No thanks to Matt Jones.

Rather see those snaps go to Stanback or Austin.

I can respect that opinion.

But I would like to know what it is that makes Austin appealing to you?

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly Matt Jones has heck of a lot more talent then Hurd will have; same goes for Austin unless he finally figures out how to consistently catch the ball and Stanback is an unknown.

Given our need for a legit #2 WR, there's no way Jerry should rule him out unless his contacts in Arksansas give him too much bad feedback on this kid. If that turns out to be the case, we shouldn't bother any talking to him. On the other hand, if Arkansas contacts mostly positive & if Wade's contacts around the NFL are also mostly positive, then we must bring him in & take a look. If he consistently looks very good in TC & preseason games & shows strong work ethic & fully motivated, we should sign him to minimal contract for a year with option for 2nd year. If we followed some of you guys advice, we never would have signed OG Leonard Davis (also viewed by Card fans as lazy & not very talent; and how did his signing work out for us. Hmmm. Pretty darn good.

JonCJG

Reaction score
stasheroo;2108304 said:
I can respect that opinion.

But I would like to know what it is that makes Austin appealing to you?

Stanback and Austin are younger and cheaper for one. Both of them have just as much physical talent as Jones as well. But unlike jones, they haven't had a chance to prove themselves.

Jones was a first round pick in 05. He's had three years to prove he is at least making progress at the WR position. Yet the Jags want to get rid of him entering his fourth 4th year, at the age of just 25? Does that not tell you something? Trading for Troy W and signing Porter told me all I need to know. This guy was a bad pick, end of story.

And you can save me the doghouse speech. If he could ball, he would be on the field, period.

It's not like he's been behind Owens, Glenn or even a Crayton in his short career. With his size, speed, and hands, he should be at least a number 2 at this point, not a scrub fighting to make the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KD said:
Stanback and Austin are younger and cheaper for one. Both of them have just as much physical talent as Jones as well. But unlike jones, they haven't had a chance to prove themselves.

I would definitely disagree with that statement. Jones was over-drafted by Jacksonville based strictly on his physical skills, which I would say are probably better than Stanback's but definitely better than Austin's.

KD said:
Jones was a first round pick in 05. He's had three years to prove he is at least making progress at the WR position. Yet the Jags want to get rid of him entering his fourth 4th year, at the age of just 25? Does that not tell you something? Trading for Troy W and signing Porter told me all I need to know. This guy was a bad pick, end of story.

My opinion on the situation is not as cut-and-dried I guess. I see a team in Jacksonville where multiple receivers have struggled to develop into #1 guys, that tells mae something about the team, not just the player.

KD said:
And you can save me the doghouse speech. If he could ball, he would be on the field, period.

Again, I disagree with what I feel is a close-minded observation. He "balled" better than the other receivers in '06, but somehow that wasn't good enough to get him on the field in '07.

KD said:
It's not like he's been behind Owens, Glenn or even a Crayton in his short career. With his size, speed, and hands, he should be at least a number 2 at this point, not a scrub fighting to make the team.

Again, if it were simply Matt Jones struggling in Jacksonville, then all of the blame is his. But he's had company when it comes to struggling receivers.

And let's not forget that Crayton started out of total necessity, it's not like he beat out Glenn (or anyone else) for the #2 role in Dallas.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
Matt Jones will be the 4th WR on some team and out of football soon. No offense but it did not work out for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bungarian;2108353 said:
Matt Jones will be the 4th WR on some team and out of football soon. No offense but it did not work out for him.

None taken.

The guy's career is certainly at a crossroads and if he doesn't turn it on soon, you'll be 100% correct.

juck

Reaction score
Matt Jones is way better than any reciever we have beyond T.O.-Hopefully Stanback can step up.

JonCJG

Reaction score
stasheroo;2108360 said:
None taken.

The guy's career is certainly at a crossroads and if he doesn't turn it on soon, you'll be 100% correct.

I understand you really like the guy. I think he sucks. We'll see who's right soon enough. :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KD;2108480 said:
I understand you really like the guy. I think he sucks. We'll see who's right soon enough. :)

Fair enough.

And you're right, we will.

The odds are the Cowboys aren't even interested and my entire "campaign" will have been in vain.....

:banghead: