WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BraveHeartFan;2111864 said:
I'd take Koren Robinson over Matt Jones.

Fair enough.

At least that's presenting an alternative.

But I think I read that part of why Robinson was released was because of a bone-on-bone knee condition.

We already have one of those in Glenn.

Here's a report from Pro Football Weekly:

"With 13 wideouts on the Packers’ 80-man roster, we hear there may not be room anymore for veteran Koren Robinson, who has a bone-on-bone knee problem that figures to get worse before it gets better."

fortdick

Reaction score
stasheroo;2111856 said:
Duly noted.

I'll respectfully disagree on that subject.

I think the guy finally gets it.

I would be pleased if he did, but I don't think that his character, or lack of, will let him function in the business world. Too narcissistic.

The thread however, has digressed. I for one think that if we can give Adam Jones a second chance, we sure can a guy like Matt Jones. Austin won't make it this year and I wonder why we haven't heard a lot of hooping and hollaring about Stanback yet. We need someone that can get open and a 6'6'' WR can do that almost at will.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fortdick;2111883 said:
I would be pleased if he did, but I don't think that his character, or lack of, will let him function in the business world. Too narcissistic.

You may end up being right, but I hope you're not. Only time will tell on that one.

fortdick said:
The thread however, has digressed. I for one think that if we can give Adam Jones a second chance, we sure can a guy like Matt Jones. Austin won't make it this year and I wonder why we haven't heard a lot of hooping and hollaring about Stanback yet. We need someone that can get open and a 6'6'' WR can do that almost at will.

I don't see why not, and I'm more than a bit surprised at the venom spewed at the mere thought of giving up a 6th round draft choice to get him.

For comparison's sake, nobody ever heard of Erik Walden - a guy who might not even make this team - but nobody said anything when the Cowboys used a 6th round pick on him.

I'm thinking Jones could prove to be a matchup nightmare lined up with Owens and Witten. If you double-cover Owens and Witten, a guy with Jones' size would have an advantage over any opposing defensive back in a one-on-one situation, to say nothing of what that size can do for your red-zone offense.

It seems like some people have grown attached to having Austin and his 5 career catches around.

I haven't.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Stash you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed. The Cowboys only have interest in a top flight receiver. I realize you think that Jones is good but I think and it looks like the Cowboys agree that they want to see what they have can do.

I'm sure that if Jason Garrett wanted/needed another WR we would have traded up for James Hardy. If its early August and he gets cut and we can get him for free i still don't see us grabbing him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2111939 said:
Stash you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed. The Cowboys only have interest in a top flight receiver. I realize you think that Jones is good but I think and it looks like the Cowboys agree that they want to see what they have can do.

First of all Fuzzy, welcome back.

You're very likely to be right, but I can dream can't I?

I'm not as confident in the amount of completely unproven guys on the roster, two I could see keeping, more than that makes me nervous. Jones isn't a finished product by any means, but he's got playing time and experience most of the others lack.

FuzzyLumpkins said:
I'm sure that if Jason Garrett wanted/needed another WR we would have traded up for James Hardy. If its early August and he gets cut and we can get him for free i still don't see us grabbing him.

From what I remember, there was some talk of going after Hardy but they stayed put and took Bennett instead. I think this situation is still fluid since Terry Glenn's future with the team is very much in doubt and yet to be resolved.

You could very well end up being right, they may not have any interest in him.

But, given the uncertainty at the position, I hope they do.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Matt Jones, WR Monday 6/9, 12:18 PM CT

Matt Jones has not been working among the top five receivers with Jacksonville during team OTA practices, according to Jaguars.com.

Our View: Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams are working as the starters, and Mike Walker is battling Dennis Northcutt for the slot role. Troy Williamson is working behind them, which means Jones could be in jeopardy of not making the team, assuming the team won't carry six receivers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gryphon;2112177 said:
Matt Jones, WR Monday 6/9, 12:18 PM CT

Matt Jones has not been working among the top five receivers with Jacksonville during team OTA practices, according to Jaguars.com.

Our View: Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams are working as the starters, and Mike Walker is battling Dennis Northcutt for the slot role. Troy Williamson is working behind them, which means Jones could be in jeopardy of not making the team, assuming the team won't carry six receivers.

Sounds good to me.

That means that they would probably take a low-round draft choice for him.

I think Ray Sherman and Jason Garrett could succeed where Jacksonville's coaches failed.