WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
stasheroo;2108052 said:
Do you have someone else in mind that you would prefer or would you rather simply go with the young receivers currently on Dallas' roster?

I am not a big fan of our depth at WR like many are but they are better than Matt Jones almost to a man. He still hasn't grasped running routes at full speed or catching the football. Deep down he still hopes some team will give him a shot at QB. And I am not sure he wouldn't rather play QB in a lower league than play WR in the NFL.

I would have liked Jerry Porter a good deal because he can flat play when put in a system that works.

JonCJG

Reaction score
If we pick him up and he does help us, I will be telling friends and family how I always wanted him, and that I knew there was "something" special about him. :)

You never know what the future holds. We will see shortly I do believe.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;2108524 said:
I am not a big fan of our depth at WR like many are but they are better than Matt Jones almost to a man. He still hasn't grasped running routes at full speed or catching the football. Deep down he still hopes some team will give him a shot at QB. And I am not sure he wouldn't rather play QB in a lower league than play WR in the NFL.

Would you consider Austin, Hurd, and Stanback "better" than Matt Jones?

Jones had a lousy 2007 and yet still outperformed that threesome combined.

Also, I have never heard anything that said that Jones was insistant on playing QB.

jterrell said:
I would have liked Jerry Porter a good deal because he can flat play when put in a system that works.

Don't you find it a bit contradictory that you claim that Jerry Porter could benefit from a "system that works" but are closing the books on Matt Jones?

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Observations from Jaguars minicamp

June 6, 2008 3:16 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas.

Some observations from the first workout of Jacksonville's minicamp:

We'll have to wait and see how this truly plays out, but the trade for wide receiver Troy Williamson from Minnesota might turn out to be a steal. All the Jaguars had to give up was a sixth-round pick for a guy who had first-round talent when he came into the league. Williamson flashed that talent today, making several nice catches. He also talked after practice and it sounds like he's out to prove Vikings coach Brad Childress wrong. If Williamson and Jerry Porter can play up to their potential, the Jaguars suddenly could have a strong receiving corps, although Matt Jones, a first-round pick in 2005, still hasn't shown much and could be playing for a roster spot.

Nice gesture by all the Jacksonville coaches. They wore "AP Falcons'' hats to practice after making donations to help raise money for the victims of the recent tornado in Parkersburg, Iowa. Center Brad Meester is one of four NFL players from Parkersburg. The "AP'' stands for Aplington-Parkersburg High School, which Meester attended. Green Bay's Aaron Kampman, Denver's Casey Wiegmann and Detroit's Jared DeVries also attended the high school. The Jaguars also sold hats to fans attending minicamp. The hats are available at jaguars.com.

The Jaguars have four players trying out during minicamp and former Minnesota running back Ciatrick Fason may be the most interesting of that group. Fason played for the Vikings when tight ends coach Mike Tice was the head coach in Minnesota. Fason said he was close to signing with a team in the Canadian Football League before the Jaguars invited him in for a tryout. Receivers Ryan Hoag and Bennie Brazell and running back Lavarius Giles also are trying out.

The Jaguars used early picks on defensive ends Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves, but veterans Paul Spicer and Reggie Hayward got the work with the first team. But it's probably only a matter of time until Harvey and Groves start getting some time with the starters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KD;2108536 said:
If we pick him up and he does help us, I will be telling friends and family how I always wanted him, and that I knew there was "something" special about him. :)

That's alright, I'll be telling everyone how I made it happen!

:laugh2:

You never know what the future holds. We will see shortly I do believe.

We'd have to.

If this guy were to help us at all, he'd have to get here quick and try to learn the system.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gryphon;2108555 said:
We'll have to wait and see how this truly plays out, but the trade for wide receiver Troy Williamson from Minnesota might turn out to be a steal. All the Jaguars had to give up was a sixth-round pick for a guy who had first-round talent when he came into the league.

Obviously it's early in the process, but this is the type of risk/reward deal I envision with Jones.

A former first round talent who was in a bad situation and might succeed with a fresh start.

Plenty of people referred to Williamson as a worthless bust, yet he may prove to have some value after all.

Gryphon said:
Williamson flashed that talent today, making several nice catches. He also talked after practice and it sounds like he's out to prove Vikings coach Brad Childress wrong. If Williamson and Jerry Porter can play up to their potential, the Jaguars suddenly could have a strong receiving corps, although Matt Jones, a first-round pick in 2005, still hasn't shown much and could be playing for a roster spot.

I think the situation for Jones in Jacksonville is beyond repair. I can envision where he sticks there.

Gryphon, I have to ask:

You post a lot of information on Matt Jones, what's your stance on him and the Cowboys?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MarionBarberThe4th;2108567 said:
Count him as one of the few I got right pre-draft

Another Randal Williams

How about another Alvin Harper?

Just with better numbers....

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
stasheroo;2108569 said:
Obviously it's early in the process, but this is the type of risk/reward deal I envision with Jones.

A former first round talent who was in a bad situation and might succeed with a fresh start.

Plenty of people referred to Williamson as a worthless bust, yet he may prove to have some value after all.

I think the situation for Jones in Jacksonville is beyond repair. I can envision where he sticks there.

Gryphon, I have to ask:

You post a lot of information on Matt Jones, what's your stance on him and the Cowboys?

We need to bring the BP transition players to a conclusion by releasing Terry Glenn and take the next step by bringing a more experienced receiver into the fold, with the intent of introducing a new dimension onto the field.

I think that this dimension can be either height (example: Plaxico Burress) or speed (example: Caroilina's Steve Smith). I believe that person can be anyone that will force the opponent to change the way they play defense. basically anyone that can create a mismatch.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Stash, you really should start a "The Myths of Matt Jones" thread.

:)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gryphon;2108592 said:
We need to bring the BP transition players to a conclusion by releasing Terry Glenn and take the next step by bringing a more experienced receiver into the fold, with the intent of introducing a new dimension onto the field.

I think that this dimension can be either height (example: Plaxico Burress) or speed (example: Caroilina's Steve Smith). I believe that person can be anyone that will force the opponent to change the way they play defense. basically anyone that can create a mismatch.

I agree completely and I think Jones can potentially bring both.

Will he?

I can't be sure.

If his work ethic and attitude are as bad as some people think, probably not.

And worst case scenario, he might get cut in training camp.

But best-case scenario, the Cowboys acquire an experienced threat who can take advantage of the lack of coverage opposite Owens and Witten.

But at the risk of a 6th round draft pick?

I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub;2108606 said:
Stash, you really should start a "The Myths of Matt Jones" thread.

:)

I couldn't do a myths thread, but I was considering doing a "Case for Matt Jones" article/post.

I did a "case for Adam 'Pacman' Jones article for a friend's blog and that seemed to "work"......

:D

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
stasheroo;2108612 said:
I couldn't do a myths thread, but I was considering doing a "Case for Matt Jones" article/post.

I did a "case for Adam 'Pacman' Jones article for a friend's blog and that seemed to "work"......

:D

Go for it!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2108659 said:
I dont.

Can he return kicks like Austin or Stanback?

(Im assuming Hurd is the #4)

He wont block on the perimeter so its not like hes going to cover kicks or the like. The dude just isnt cut out for the physicality of the position.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2108659 said:
I dont.

Can he return kicks like Austin or Stanback?

(Im assuming Hurd is the #4)

Lets see TG be go kick rocks barefoot.

I'd rather have Matt Jones at the #3 three than Austin. Mind you Jones will be an upgrade over Austin or Stanback.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2108672 said:
Lets see TG be go kick rocks barefoot.

I'd rather have Matt Jones at the #3 three than Austin. Mind you Jones will be an upgrade over Austin or Stanback.

Youre comparing Glenn and jones thats nice. One is an accomplished receiver that has had multiple 100o yard seasons. the other is considering being cut by a team that needs WR.

hes been given every chance to succeed and he has failed. I would rather give our guys a chance to succeed. At least they can say they have improved every year they have been in the league.

Matt Jones can say that Del Rio all but gave up on him by deactivating him and has already put Troy 'I couldn't break Minny's WR squad' Williamson ahead of him on the depth chart.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2108683 said:
Youre comparing Glenn and jones thats nice. One is an accomplished receiver that has had multiple 100o yard seasons. the other is considering being cut by a team that needs WR.

hes been given every chance to succeed and he has failed. I would rather give our guys a chance to succeed. At least they can say they have improved every year they have been in the league.

Matt Jones can say that Del Rio all but gave up on him by deactivating him and has already put Troy 'I couldn't break Minny's WR squad' Williamson ahead of him on the depth chart.

I am comparing and old injury prone guy with bad knees that still requires new surgery to a young WR with a lot more upside. TG has been healthy for 3 season out of his 12 year career i'd rather not depend on him this year. Every chance to succed? I beg to differer i thought it was common knowledge that WR is the hardest position for young players to learn mind you he was a 1st round pick but he is making the transition for QB to WR. So i have no problem with having this guy on our team instead of Terry Glenn. TG can go the way of a race horse that hurts it leg.