WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

starfrombirth

Reaction score
sago1;2108313 said:
Frankly Matt Jones has heck of a lot more talent then Hurd will have; same goes for Austin unless he finally figures out how to consistently catch the ball and Stanback is an unknown.

Given our need for a legit #2 WR, there's no way Jerry should rule him out unless his contacts in Arksansas give him too much bad feedback on this kid. If that turns out to be the case, we shouldn't bother any talking to him. On the other hand, if Arkansas contacts mostly positive & if Wade's contacts around the NFL are also mostly positive, then we must bring him in & take a look. If he consistently looks very good in TC & preseason games & shows strong work ethic & fully motivated, we should sign him to minimal contract for a year with option for 2nd year. If we followed some of you guys advice, we never would have signed OG Leonard Davis (also viewed by Card fans as lazy & not very talent; and how did his signing work out for us. Hmmm. Pretty darn good.

Same with T.O., Colombo, Hamilin, and Keyshawn when he was with us. Players chemistry with their other teams may not always be good but can be changed with the right people. Our current team has shown the ability to blend all types. Matt Jones is very big and very fast. Whenever he is released then I say bring him in and let him try out. If he is an improvement then lets improve our team. If he isn't then we haven't lost anything. As far as someones desire to give the rep's to Austin instead, I can understand that as well. Austin has good size (not as big as MJones) and great speed. If he ever develops the hands to catch, he will be deadly. If someone is inclined, go back and look at clips of him in last years games, he was consistently open but Romo didn't throw in his direction. I don't know if it was from not trusting him or not seeing him but you can't fault Austin for not being open.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Up to this point Matt Jones is a bust. By anyones definition. Unless you are a matt jones homer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;2111311 said:
Up to this point Matt Jones is a bust. By anyones definition. Unless you are a matt jones homer.

So then, by the same 'definition', Alvin Harper was also a bust, right?

Since Jones' overall numbers in his first 3 years are better than Harper's were here in his first 3 years.

Using the same 'definition' and all.....

burmafrd

Reaction score
Frankly I could care less about Harper. Jones is a first rd pick and has done very little. He is a bust up to this point.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Just went back and looked at his stats. 101 catches 1392 yds 13 TDs. In his career.
TO just about had all that beat THIS YEAR.
Matt Jones is a bust.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;2111322 said:
Frankly I could care less about Harper. Jones is a first rd pick and has done very little. He is a bust up to this point.

In case you didn't know, Harper was also a 1st rounder as well.

And a guy who actually played receiver in college to boot.

So if Jones is a bust, so was Harper.

Yet Harper was somehow 'good enough' to play for a team that would win back-to-back Super Bowls.....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;2111325 said:
Just went back and looked at his stats. 101 catches 1392 yds 13 TDs. In his career.
TO just about had all that beat THIS YEAR.
Matt Jones is a bust.

So your rationale is to compare Jones' numbers to Owens'?

Some real creative thinking there.......

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'll just say Matt Jones would not be high on my list of player I would like to see in Dallas. If by some chance he comes to Dallas I wish him the best but I don't think he is a shoe in and will have to earn a spot here. Some may have given up on our young WR, I'm not one of them

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feels like I'm arguing with the kid from Terminator 2:

"You can't go around killing people"

"Why?"

"Because you just can't, OK?"

Except in this case it's:

"Matt Jones sucks and is a bust"

"Why?"

"He just is"

"Why? His numbers are better than anyone on this team not named Owens or Crayton"

"He just is"

"Why? His numbers in his first three years of playing are better than Harper's were when he played here"

"He just is okay?"

terminator-2-movie.jpg

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't compare the stats between Matt Jones and Alvin Harper and say one performed better than the other. Each played in their own situation and had their roll in the offense. Harper's stats are slighted because he was way down the pecking list on touches.

Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and Jay Novacek were always going to be getting the ball more than Harper. I don't see that kind of talent on Jax offense ahead of Matt Jones.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;2111354 said:
You can't compare the stats between Matt Jones and Alvin Harper and say one performed better than the other. Each played in their own situation and had their roll in the offense. Harper's stats are slighted because he was way down the pecking list on touches.

And Matt Jones is way up there on the 'pecking list' in Jacksonville?

Firstly, the team is 'run-first' all the way.

Secondly, the guy has started just a handful of games.

I'm comparing two guys drafted in the first round. One played receiver in college and one didn't. One has lesser numbers than the other, and yet the guy with better numbers is the 'bust".

Great logic.

bigdogcowboy said:
Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and Jay Novacek were always going to be getting the ball more than Harper. I don't see that kind of talent on Jax offense ahead of Matt Jones.

The same way that Marion Barber, Terrell Owens, and Jason Witten do now?

That's part of my point actually, thanks for bringing it up.

Jones could play a similar role to what Harper did.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Stash, give it up. No one agrees with you. Matt Jones in 3 seasons barely beats what TO put up in one. That says all you need to know about Matt Jones.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;2111438 said:
Stash, give it up. No one agrees with you. Matt Jones in 3 seasons barely beats what TO put up in one. That says all you need to know about Matt Jones.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it under advisement.

And by all means, when your first argument is disproven, bring up some inane Owens comparison as if it has some sort of relevance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;2111461 said:
Thanks I apreciate it.

That wasn't directed toward you, I was referring to those of the double-standard that Harper was a 'solid contributor' while Matt Jones is a 'worthless bust' when Jones has actually outperformed Harper based on both player's first 3 years in the league.

I don't mind hearing an opposing viewpoint - it's welcome in fact - I just wish someone would put a little fact behind what they said.

The mindless "Matt Jones sucks" stuff gets old fast.

I'm also interested in anyone having a better alternative with regard to any receiver who might be available.

But I don't seem to get too much of that.

Too much 'work' I guess.....

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stasheroo;2111466 said:
That wasn't directed toward you, I was referring to those of the double-standard that Harper was a 'solid contributor' while Matt Jones is a 'worthless bust' when Jones has actually outperformed Harper based on both player's first 3 years in the league.

I don't mind hearing an opposing viewpoint - it's welcome in fact - I just wish someone would put a little fact behind what they said.

The mindless "Matt Jones sucks" stuff gets old fast.

I'm also interested in anyone having a better alternative with regard to any receiver who might be available.

But I don't seem to get too much of that.

Too much 'work' I guess.....

not that it's too much work, just that it wouldn't matter. again, he's not a starting WR that we could really use right now. not in name and/or performance to date. he's a "gamble" and i think we have enough of those right now and would rather see what our young guys can do vs. see what matt jones will do with possibly his last chance in the league.

so a better alternative? let's see what stanback can do. or this danny kid.

to me i'd rather see what our guys can do than hope matt jones turns things around.

that's my "better alternative". but i commend your passion around this. : )

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;2111482 said:
not that it's too much work, just that it wouldn't matter.

Thinking is too much work for some people. Typing "Matt Jones sucks" requires less thought so that's mostly what we get.

iceberg said:
again, he's not a starting WR that we could really use right now. not in name and/or performance to date. he's a "gamble" and i think we have enough of those right now and would rather see what our young guys can do vs. see what matt jones will do with possibly his last chance in the league.

Fair enough, but I disagree. I think Jones is a more 'known' commodity, warts and all, than Hurd, Austin, or Stanback. And trading for Jones probably wouldn't affect Hurd or Stanback's roster spots anyway. And would anyone lose sleep if Austin did or didn't make the team?

iceberg said:
so a better alternative? let's see what stanback can do. or this danny kid.

Again, I doubt Stanback is in danger of losing his roster spot. And Amendola could very well make the team too.

My thinking is that Terry Glenn is done and the sooner this team moves on, the better.

I envision a receiver corps of:

Owens
Crayton
Jones
Hurd
Stanback
Amendola

iceberg said:
to me i'd rather see what our guys can do than hope matt jones turns things around.

That's where our opinions differ. I would rather get a guy with good ability and at least a measure of proven NFL skills and experience than to have Owens, Crayton, and a bunch of question marks, which is what we currently have.

iceberg said:
that's my "better alternative". but i commend your passion around this. : )

Thanks for the compliment.

This is after all, my 'campaign' for 2008....

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo is sticking to his guns after all this i love it.

I agree with him and I don't see how you can compare TO to Matt Jones especially when if we pick him up he wouldn't take over TO's spot. He isn't a #1 WR and that was TO's best season of his career.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2111502 said:
stasheroo is sticking to his guns after all this i love it.

I agree with him and I don't see how you can compare TO to Matt Jones especially when if we pick him up he wouldn't take over TO's spot. He isn't a #1 WR and that was TO's best season of his career.

except from 2000-2002, where he had 90+ receptions for over 1300 yards, and 13 TD's each season. INcluding a 93 catch 1400+ yard, and 16 TD season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Talk about beating the hell out of dead horse.

But, hey, we're boared.

Here are comments from David Garrard on the Jags OTAs---toward the end he gives special attention and some praise to some WRs and also Jones. I'm sure that will please a (very) few of you.

Cheers

http://www.jaguars.com/multimedia/video.aspx?id=2838