WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999;2111553 said:
except from 2000-2002, where he had 90+ receptions for over 1300 yards, and 13 TD's each season. INcluding a 93 catch 1400+ yard, and 16 TD season.

yea i didn't look at his stats so your right however at first you said 14 TD's and switched it to 16.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFWJC;2111593 said:
Talk about beating the hell out of dead horse.

But, hey, we're boared.

Yeah, if nothing else it's something to talk about during a slow part of the offseason.

My stance is that wide receiver is one of the few question marks on an otherwise Super Bowl level team. And I think the team should look into adding an experienced receiver to what they currently have.

DFWJC said:
Here are comments from David Garrard on the Jags OTAs---toward the end he gives special attention and some praise to some WRs and also Jones. I'm sure that will please a (very) few of you.

Cheers

http://www.jaguars.com/multimedia/video.aspx?id=2838

Any chance someone could write a recap for a guy at work?

Besides, I'd like to see someone actually have something good about Jones in writing since many would claim the audio was garbled or something.....

:laugh2:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2111618 said:
Yeah, if nothing else it's something to talk about during a slow part of the offseason.

My stance is that wide receiver is one of the few question marks on an otherwise Super Bowl level team. And I think the team should look into adding an experienced receiver to what they currently have.

Besides, I'd like to see someone actually have something good about Jones in writing since many would claim the audio was garbled or something.....

Garrard says that Matt Jones has stepped up his game and is really working hard this off season. This is year he puts it all together and plays consistent all this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2111628 said:
Garrard says that Matt Jones has stepped up his game and is really working hard this off season. This is year he puts it all together and plays consistent all this year.

Did he actually say that or are you pulling my leg?

I mean that's unpossible?!?!?!?

ralph.jpg

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2111615 said:
yea i didn't look at his stats so your right however at first you said 14 TD's and switched it to 16.

yea i know, i double checked it.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I am a fan of "churning the bottom of the bocket" but not at a cost. I want to see what Danny and Stanback can do but Hurd and Austin are all they will be with the exception of being a better Special Teams player. I wouldn't cry any tears to see them get replaced with other options. I just wouldn't pay for it, especially with draft picks. If he is cut, there is zero problem with him trying for a spot.

Do I think Jones will ever break into a top 2 role? Not really. But neither do I think that Hurd or Austin will.

Yay! Another 20 pages of, "Who's gonna be our fourth receiver?" !!! ;)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Velvet Jones;2111695 said:
I am a fan of "churning the bottom of the bocket" but not at a cost. I want to see what Danny and Stanback can do but Hurd and Austin are all they will be with the exception of being a better Special Teams player. I wouldn't cry any tears to see them get replaced with other options. I just wouldn't pay for it, especially with draft picks. If he is cut, there is zero problem with him trying for a spot.

The problem I have is that if you wait for him to be cut, you won't get him. He'll be claimed by a team with a higher waiver claim. Not to mention that if you wait until after training camp, he comes in not knowing the offense and unable to contribute right away.

For me it would be worth a 6th rounder. Consider the extra 2009 draft picks this team has already with more compensatory picks (which can't be traded) to come. A 6th would be next to nothing.

Velvet Jones said:
Do I think Jones will ever break into a top 2 role? Not really. But neither do I think that Hurd or Austin will.

I'm not saying he 'would', merely that he 'could'. And that he offers some variables to the offense that Crayton does not.

Velvet Jones said:
Yay! Another 20 pages of, "Who's gonna be our fourth receiver?" !!! ;)

Hey, it sure beats watching the tumbleweeds roll by this time of year!

DFWJC

Reaction score
stasheroo;2111618 said:

After talking about camp and a charioty relief efort he got to the WRs.

Troy Williamson has surprised by catching everything....they had heard about his hands not being great. He's been smooth and fluid and blowing by people whle catching everything.

Dino (Northcut) and Reggie (Willaims) have been fine

"Even Matt Jones" has stepped up his game. He worked hard this offseason. They are expecting a lot out of him and "hopefully" this is the season he puts it all together and becomes consistent all year.

Mike Walker is back from injury and sounds like he has stepped right in...doing all the right things at WR (adjusting routes when needed, etc).

Bottom line is they have 10 guys battling for 5-6 slots. Jerry Porter (#1 WR), T Williamson, R Williams, Northcut are locks. The rest are battling, but it sounds like Jones, Broussard, and Walker are the main guys in the hunt....maybe more.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFWJC;2111747 said:
After talking about camp and a charioty relief efort he got to the WRs.

Troy Williamson has surprised by catching everything....they had heard about his hands not being great. He's been smooth and fluid and blowing by people whle catching everything.

Dino (Northcut) and Reggie (Willaims) have been fine

"Even Matt Jones" has stepped up his game. He worked hard this offseason. They are expecting a lot out of him and "hopefully" this is the season he puts it all together and becomes consistent all year.

Mike Walker is back from injury and sounds like he has stepped right in...doing all the right things at WR (adjusting routes when needed, etc).

Bottom line is they have 10 guys battling for 5-6 slots. Jerry Porter (#1 WR), T Williamson, R Williams, Northcut are locks. The rest are battling, but it sounds like Jones, Broussard, and Walker are the main guys in the hunt....maybe more.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

I'm hopeful that Jones will be the 'odd-man out' in Jacksonville, if nothing else because he's not Del Rio's kind of guy.

I think it would work out best for both parties - and this team if they were to trade for him.

I'm not confident that Miles Austin will ever be an NFL receiver and I think Terry Glenn is done.

DFWJC

Reaction score
stasheroo;2111756 said:
Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

I'm hopeful that Jones will be the 'odd-man out' in Jacksonville, if nothing else because he's not Del Rio's kind of guy.

I think it would work out best for both parties - and this team if they were to trade for him.

I'm not confident that Miles Austin will ever be an NFL receiver and I think Terry Glenn is done.

FWIW

Here's my take on Matt Jones to Cowboys:

* It wouldn't bother me to pick him up, but I'm not anywhere near your level of enthusiasm. I have a feeling he would not be the worst WR on our roster.
* I'm not convinced that his work ethic is there--week in and week out. But a change in environment could help. You could say I'm skeptical but have not ruled it out.
* I haven't looked into the costs...so I'm not sure how that balances out.
* who would we drop? Does it at all hurt chemistry?

Overall, I'm fairly indifferent...and ready for football season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFWJC said:
FWIW

Here's my take on Matt Jones to Cowboys:

* It wouldn't bother me to pick him up, but I'm not anywhere near your level of enthusiasm. I have a feeling he would not be the worst WR on our roster.

That's my thinking as well. Under the current circumstances, I place him at worst 3rd on the current depth chart.

DFWJC said:
* I'm not convinced that his work ethic is there--week in and week out. But a change in environment could help. You could say I'm skeptical but have not ruled it out.

It seems to depend on what source you hear it from. Some attribute it to being a laid back guy while others say he's lazy.

DFWJC said:
* I haven't looked into the costs...so I'm not sure how that balances out.

He's in the last year of his rookie deal for $625,000.00 if I remember correctly, not much money. And a late round draft pick should be enough to get him - today.

DFWJC said:
* who would we drop? Does it at all hurt chemistry?

I think this team will have two openings at some point.

1) I think Glenn is done
2) I think Miles Austin is out of chances to show he can play receiver at the NFL level.

DFWJC said:
Overall, I'm fairly indifferent...and ready for football season.

Fair enough.

I'm just highly concerned about this team's current depth at the wide receiver position and see it as a weakness that could halt its' Super Bowl aspirations.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
<quote>I'm just highly concerned about this team's current depth at the wide receiver position and see it as a weakness that could halt its' Super Bowl aspirations.</quote>

So picking up Matt Jones will have you breathing a sigh of relief?

I am with the crew that is indifferent on it. Using a draft pick on a chance seems a bit much simply to churn the bottom of the roster. If you believe he is a project and can work, then fine. But he would be a project... not depth for this year.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2111823 said:
<quote>I'm just highly concerned about this team's current depth at the wide receiver position and see it as a weakness that could halt its' Super Bowl aspirations.</quote>

I am with the crew that is indifferent on it. Using a draft pick on a chance seems a bit much simply to churn the bottom of the roster. If you believe he is a project and can work, then fine. But he would be a project... not depth for this year.

where you one of those same ppl that didn't want us to use a draft pick on Pacman?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Velvet Jones said:

Somewhat. He'd be a better alternative to crossing my fingers on Austin, Glenn, or Stanback contributing anything.

Velvet Jones said:
I am with the crew that is indifferent on it. Using a draft pick on a chance seems a bit much simply to churn the bottom of the roster.

Fair enough. So you would be in the group that would rather go into this season with what the team has?

Velvet Jones said:
If you believe he is a project and can work, then fine. But he would be a project... not depth for this year.

I believe he's a bit of both. He's not a polished receiver, but I think he can contribute to this offense in ways that Crayton can't.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2111836 said:
where you one of those same ppl that didn't want us to use a draft pick on Pacman?

Good luck finding anyone willing to admit that.....

:cool:

fortdick

Reaction score
stasheroo;2111839 said:
Good luck finding anyone willing to admit that.....

:cool:

I believe that trading for Adam Jones was a mistake. Maybe we can trade him for Matt Jones. I just think Adama Jones is going to blow up soon after reinstatement. Drug test, false testimony in the Vegas case, something, but he won't make it throught the year. Maybe he can catch the ball for Vick in the Federal Penal League.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fortdick;2111851 said:
I believe that trading for Adam Jones was a mistake. Maybe we can trade him for Matt Jones. I just think Adama Jones is going to blow up soon after reinstatement. Drug test, false testimony in the Vegas case, something, but he won't make it throught the year. Maybe he can catch the ball for Vick in the Federal Penal League.

Duly noted.

I'll respectfully disagree on that subject.

I think the guy finally gets it.