WR position in 2022 and possible loss of Gallup

Plankton

Reaction score
McCarthy likes to draft WRs and usually big WRs.

Notes about Green Bay drafts in McCarthy era:
10 of 13 years they drafted at least 1 WR.
8 of 13 years they drafted 2 or more WRs.
12 WRs in McCarthy's final 6 years.
Only 1 drafted WR under 6' (Randall Cobb).
Drafted 3 WRs in 2018 and signed UDFA Allen Lazard (6'5, 227).

Green Bay WRs drafted during McCarthy's tenure as Head Coach
Year ….. Ht …... Wt …..... Player
2018 ….. 6'3 ….. 205 ….. J'Mon Moore
2018 ….. 6'4 ….. 206 ….. Marquez Valdes-Scantling
2018 ….. 6'5 ….. 214 ….. Equanimeous St. Brown
2017 ….. 6'1 ….. 220 ….. DeAngelo Yancey
2017 ….. 6'2 ….. 196 ….. Malachi Dupre
2016 ….. 6'1 ….. 188 ….. Trevor Davis
2015 ….. 6'0 ….. 216 ….. Ty Montgomery
2014 ….. 6'1 ….. 215 ….. Davante Adams
2014 ….. 6'1 ….. 195 ….. Jared Abbrederis
2014 ….. 6'3 ….. 219 ….. Jeff Janis
2013 ….. 6'2 ….. 215 ….. Charles Johnson
2013 ….. 6'1 ….. 207 ….. Kevin Dorsey
2011 ….. 5'10 ….. 195 ….. Randall Cobb
2008 ….. 6'3 ….. 217 ….. Jordy Nelson
2008 ….. 6'1 ….. 200 ….. Brett Swain
2007 ….. 6'1 ….. 208 ….. James Jones
2007 ….. 6'1 ….. 190 ….. David Clowney
2006 ….. 6'0 ….. 198 ….. Greg Jennings
2006 ….. 6'0 ….. 188 ….. Cory Rodgers

McCarthy had no say over drafting in Green Bay - Ted Thompson ran the drafts, and it was a scout driven operation.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
McCarthy likes to draft WRs and usually big WRs.

Notes about Green Bay drafts in McCarthy era:
10 of 13 years they drafted at least 1 WR.
8 of 13 years they drafted 2 or more WRs.
12 WRs in McCarthy's final 6 years.
Only 1 drafted WR under 6' (Randall Cobb).
Drafted 3 WRs in 2018 and signed UDFA Allen Lazard (6'5, 227).

Packers always seemed good for a deep WR bench.

Surprised we went into the season with 4 WRs in their contract year. Simi hasn't looked like much yet either. We need a *lot* for next year. Probably bring in a vet for the #3 role.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yah.....I stood corrected.

Sometimes I wear the star on my sleeve.

I like the dude. Hate to see him go......he's quality people.
Yeah, I can see him “going off” for another team and is wishing he was still a Cowboy. I would rather see him stay as well.

On the other hand you can only go off of what we have seen so far, and if he turns into Jerry Rice, well, there is just not enough evidence to believe he will be at this point in time.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The biggest priorities on defense are trying to keep Gregory, Lawrence and Kearse. When healthy, that's one of the best DE duos in the league and it opens up the possibilities for Parsons. Losing one or both would make getting a DE a top priority. There aren't many weaknesses on defense. Hopefully a healthy Cox can replace Neal. Finding another inside LB to replace LVE would be nice.

As far as offense goes, we really go as far as the O-line takes us. You don't need a bunch of 1st rounders at the skill positions. It would be nice to bring back Gallup, but I'd rather invest on OL. The only real sure thing is Zack Martin. If we can take a top OT prospect, we need to consider life after Tyron. There's also a good chance we end up losing Collins and Williams. Our OL will likely look something like Smith-McGovern-Biadasz-Martin-Steele. Even healthy, that's not a great OL, and one injury to Smith can decimate the entire offense.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
This offense could use a guy with top-end speed who can take the top off defenses.

I don't see how they can sign Gallup when they are already $12m over the CAP and have to sign Gregory, Kearse, Schultz, LVE (or replacement), etc... They are going to have to do a bunch of restructuring just to keep as many of them as they can.

Will be interesting to see if they go all in during the offseason if they fall short this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yah.....I stood corrected.

Sometimes I wear the star on my sleeve.

I like the dude. Hate to see him go......he's quality people.

It's nice to see someone able to admit when they're wrong. That character trait is in short supply nowadays. Props. :thumbup:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This offense could use a guy with top-end speed who can take the top off defenses.

I don't see how they can sign Gallup when they are already $12m over the CAP and have to sign Gregory, Kearse, Schultz, LVE (or replacement), etc... They are going to have to do a bunch of restructuring just to keep as many of them as they can.

Will be interesting to see if they go all in during the offseason if they fall short this year.

Great post. It's nice to see a realistic assessment of the situation.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I’ll be watching DJ Chark in Free Agency.

I don’t know how much money he is going to get but that guy seems to be perfect for what we need.

He’s a taller Gallup with 4.3 speed.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
WRs are a dime a dozen. We won't even have to find one if we lose Gallup. He was gone 8 games and we were fine. He's played 8 games and has one significant game that came even close to 100 yards. And one TD. That type of production isn't hard to replace. Wilson would do just fine. He's very good after the catch as well.
I like Gallup and his sideline skillset, but we have defensive players to keep. That's our priority in FA.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I know this thread is about WRs, but we are probably going to need a starting TE next year as well.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
The biggest priorities on defense are trying to keep Gregory, Lawrence and Kearse. When healthy, that's one of the best DE duos in the league and it opens up the possibilities for Parsons. Losing one or both would make getting a DE a top priority. There aren't many weaknesses on defense. Hopefully a healthy Cox can replace Neal. Finding another inside LB to replace LVE would be nice.

As far as offense goes, we really go as far as the O-line takes us. You don't need a bunch of 1st rounders at the skill positions. It would be nice to bring back Gallup, but I'd rather invest on OL. The only real sure thing is Zack Martin. If we can take a top OT prospect, we need to consider life after Tyron. There's also a good chance we end up losing Collins and Williams. Our OL will likely look something like Smith-McGovern-Biadasz-Martin-Steele. Even healthy, that's not a great OL, and one injury to Smith can decimate the entire offense.
Why Collins, I thought he was signed until 2024.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know this thread is about WRs, but we are probably going to need a starting TE next year as well.

I think the team will try to make do with a combination of Jarwin, McKeon, and a mid-to-late round rookie next year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why Collins, I thought he was signed until 2024.

His suspension voided guarantees in his contract so they Cowboys could cut him for cap savings. I'm not sure exactly how much they would save if they did but I think that's what the comment is referring to.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Gallup is not equal to Cooper, in any way and I'm a huge fan of Gallup, but stop it
First....you're wrong. He's better in some ways.

Second.....READ. THE. THREAD.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We have 3 WR's that will be FA's. Gallup, Wilson and Brown. Im not even sure what Turners status is. He has been in the league for a few years. I think drafting at least 1 WR is very very likely
I think Wilso and Brown stay as they are more affordable. we know brown will always be a 5th wr, and 4th at best, but he is a great special teamer and that's inavaluable....he will be fairly cheap. I wonder what Wilson will demand, but probably in the 4-5M range. he is a great #3, #4 but will struggle as a #2...never will be a #1.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Gallup is no where near the route runner that Cooper is, plus to much dead money if we cut Coop. Unfortunately, I think Gallup is gone, but his skill set is easier to replace than Coop's.
gallup is a better contested catch reciever and a better down field threat...with that said, I rather keep cooper, better route runner, will demand more attention, can beat 1-on-1 s much easier.....and down field threat can be found a little easier....Wilson as #3 was adequate (not quite Gallup, but he made a few plays until he got injured again)