Wrestling Fans... Faces & Heels, Your Favorites

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
DallasGirl50;3894754 said:
I don't agree with you about AJ and all this charisma he supposedly has but we've been over that umpteenth times and I'll just leave that alone. Can't stand RVD. Never have liked him..never will. Angle is one of the best obviously but he's a loose cannon. He's miles above anybody else on the TNA roster though and I say that as a huge Sting fan. Sting is being used right but I think that's more his doing than the writers of TNA...

Samoa Joe is a heart attack waiting to happen...he gets fatter everytime I watch TNA. Too bad. Not that fat guys don't wrestle everywhere else but to me he's a shadow of what he was. I don't even watch him anymore on there. Hit FF FAST....

I don't know who Desmond Wolfe is or John Bennett. I FF over most of TNA unless Angle is on or Sting. All the rest I don't care to watch.

Mike Bennett is from ROH, and Desmond Wolfe is currently injured. You don't like RVD or AJ Styles, make's sense because there both similar performers.

Patton

Benched
Reaction score
Faces

Shawn Michaels
The Rock
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Sting
Hulk Hogan
The Undertaker
Bret Hart
The Steiner Brothers
Randy Savage

Heels

Kurt Angle
Shawn Michaels - Including him on both lists. I like him that much. :laugh2:
Ric Flair - More-so the classic Ric Flair, he became a parody of himself at a certain point.
John Bradshaw Layfield - Probably going to be in the minority here, but I love that character.
Jeff Jarrett
Vader
Triple H
Vince McMahon
Brock Lesnar
The Big Show

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3894757 said:
Mike Bennett is from ROH, and Desmond Wolfe is currently injured. You don't like RVD or AJ Styles, make's sense because there both similar performers.

I actually do like AJ..as a wrestler only. I think all his appeal goes out the window when he's handed a live microphone but I like to watch him wrestle.

I wouldn't cross the street to watch RVD wrestle..

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Remember when Jerry Lawler used to use inventive ways to attack people? Like throwing fire in someone's face.

I want him to do that to Jack Swagger so that Michael Cole is more vulnerable than he already is with Stone Cold as referee.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
Hostile;3895205 said:
Remember when Jerry Lawler used to use inventive ways to attack people? Like throwing fire in someone's face.

I want him to do that to Jack Swagger so that Michael Cole is more vulnerable than he already is with Stone Cold as referee.

I use to watch Jerry on some cheap production on TV out of Memphis...and he was doing the fire bit.

I think the whole "Cole in a cage" stuff is silly but I have to say there is some excitement about that match...you just know going in Swagger is going to get stunned as well as Cole.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Hostile;3895205 said:

Haha i remember one time i believe it was georgia championship wrestling and mr wrestling 2 was being interviewed. Next thing you know a huge box appears ringside....apparently a delivery for mr wrestling 2.

Well he goes up to investigate the box and out busts buck robley who then puts a pretty good beating on Mr wrestling 2.

I remember scandor akbar using fire quite a few times as well.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
Achilleslastand;3895234 said:
Haha i remember one time i believe it was georgia championship wrestling and mr wrestling 2 was being interviewed. Next thing you know a huge box appears ringside....apparently a delivery for mr wrestling 2.

Well he goes up to investigate the box and out busts buck robley who then puts a pretty good beating on Mr wrestling 2.

I remember scandor akbar using fire quite a few times as well.

They use to do that wrestler in a box stuff in WCW.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Eddie Gilbert loved using fire.

I never was a big fan of it because it's tough to execute. Gotta get the lighter on the flash paper and not look cumbersome doing it.

Strangely enough, I always dug Muta's green mist.

YR

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3891830 said:
I grew up watching wrestling when I was 5 years old. My family was big into amateur wrestling. Kinda weird because growing up, nobody in my family had an issue with pro wrestling. But when I look at amateur wrestlers today, they all knock it. I remember most of the kids understood fully that pro wrestling was 'fake', but they just were into it much like some kids are into comic book heroes.

I think the first thing that I got into was Sgt. Slaughter. Eventually my parents got one of those old, giant satellite dishes which rock because they can get virtually any TV station known to man. So I used to grow up watching WWF, NWA Georgia Championship wrestling which later became WCW, World Class with the Von Erichs, and AWA. Eventually a family friend of mine became a pro wrestler, but I won't mention his name.

Later on I got to see a lot of Lucha Libre. Today's Lucha I'm not too much into. But this was AAA in the Los Gringo Locos days (Art Barr & Eddy Guerrero) Eddy was the better athlete, but Art was really good in the ring and I never saw a guy who could just make a smirk and cause the fans to almost riot. He was the most natural heel I ever saw.

Then came ECW. I had a friend going to Penn and he taped one of their shows and I really enjoyed it. A few months later it showed up on MSG Network. I came home a bit early from a party and discovered it was on TV (1st MSG episode as well).

I made it to the ECW Arena a few times. It's kinda funny how much I loathe Philly sports fans, yet have such a high respect for Philly pro wrestling fans. Usually it's the opposite way. I went to the Elks Lodge in Queens twice and vowed never to go again because the fans there were vile, drunk and high, and looking to start a riot. And they were more about getting themselves over than getting the wrestlers over. ECW Arena, to me, was about as good as it got.

It also coincided with when I first got on the internet and I met so many good friends thru that. I always shrug when people think that wrestling fans are a bunch of morons as by far and away, some of the most brilliant people who are very successful financially are wrestling fans.

College came and pro wrestling hit its peak. My family friend was long into WCW by that time and I got to make some backstage visits and meet guys like Steve Austin. There's a reason why Austin turned into the, IMO, the greatest wrestler ever...he's a bright and creative guy, works hard and loved wrestling and thought about 24/7.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of ugliness in pro wrestling. Lots of guys are good guys deep down, but once they get messed up with drugs you'd rather not have anything to do with them. Bam Bam Bigelow was like that. Great guy, but if he was drunk or high, he just came off as more pathetic than anything else. Not that it's anything new with people and drugs, but the drug problem is so rampant in pro wrestling, you get that all of the time.

Now I hardly ever watch wrestling. I'd probably watch Chikara if it were on TV. TNA is just making the same mistakes that WCW made (Vince Russo used to live down the block from me in Atlanta) and I kinda got sick of the WWE after Owen Hart's death.

YR

I haven't watched wrestling in years. When I was younger though I loved:

Sgt. Slaughter
Hacksaw Jim Dugan
the Bushwhackers
the Von Erichs
Dick Murdoch
the Funks
JYD
and of course Rick Flair.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3895246 said:
Eddie Gilbert loved using fire.

I never was a big fan of it because it's tough to execute. Gotta get the lighter on the flash paper and not look cumbersome doing it.

Strangely enough, I always dug Muta's green mist.

YR
And Kabuki before him with the red mist.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Hostile;3895314 said:
And Kabuki before him with the red mist.

I was re-watching another great match on YouTube the other night....Funk vs. Flair 'I Quit' match. Forgot how great Gary Hart was as a manager. My top 5 managers would go

1. Bobby Heenan

Nobody pulled off the hatred quite like Heenan. He could pull off the flustered/outraged emotion so well and could pull off the gloating emotion so well. I always get the feeling that there should've been something bigger for Heenan, like Hollywood or something along those lines. He was that talented.

2. Gary Hart

What I dug about Hart was he was a different kind of manager. He was 'tougher' that your typical scared, wimpy manager. But he had this sense of 'evil' about him and the type of guy who would do something 'awful' if he didn't get his way. Like Hart turning his back on Terry Funk after the Funk v. Flair 'I Quit Match.' You really wanted to strangle Hart after doing that.

3. Paul E. Dangerously

Dangerously's flaw versus Gary Hart and Heenan was that he often bordered too much towards annoying rather than being hated. I like guys that are hated because of their actions, not hated because they do not execute their heel skills as a wrestler well and the fans are trying to 'boo them off the stage.'

But Dangerously's shining moment was that he got Cornette over as a face. Very, very hard to do. And he made it look easy.

4. Jimmy Hart (Memphis days only)

I'd probably rank him higher if I didn't like his WWF days. The untrusting, cowardly weasel that would walk over one of his guys for a slice of pizza types. Great manager in Memphis, really great.

5. Jim Cornette

Part of me didn't like Cornette because he's a little too 'deep south' for my tastes. The ole 'rich momma's boy who actually lives with his momma' routine never really appealed to me. I also thought he was more funny than being actually hated. STill though, a great manager, but I've got him ranked 5th.

YR

YR

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Liked:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Macho Man
Junk Yard Dog
Roddy Piper
Dr. Death Steve Williams
Steve Austin
Leaping Lanny Poffo

Disliked:

Ric Flair
The Rock N Roll Express
Ted DiBiase
Honky Tonk Man
Ravishing Rick Rude
Kamala the Ugandan Giant
Skandor Akbar
Hulk Hogan
Jake the Snake

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich;3895362 said:
I was re-watching another great match on YouTube the other night....Funk vs. Flair 'I Quit' match. Forgot how great Gary Hart was as a manager. My top 5 managers would go

1. Bobby Heenan

Nobody pulled off the hatred quite like Heenan. He could pull off the flustered/outraged emotion so well and could pull off the gloating emotion so well. I always get the feeling that there should've been something bigger for Heenan, like Hollywood or something along those lines. He was that talented.

2. Gary Hart

What I dug about Hart was he was a different kind of manager. He was 'tougher' that your typical scared, wimpy manager. But he had this sense of 'evil' about him and the type of guy who would do something 'awful' if he didn't get his way. Like Hart turning his back on Terry Funk after the Funk v. Flair 'I Quit Match.' You really wanted to strangle Hart after doing that.

3. Paul E. Dangerously

Dangerously's flaw versus Gary Hart and Heenan was that he often bordered too much towards annoying rather than being hated. I like guys that are hated because of their actions, not hated because they do not execute their heel skills as a wrestler well and the fans are trying to 'boo them off the stage.'

But Dangerously's shining moment was that he got Cornette over as a face. Very, very hard to do. And he made it look easy.

I'd probably rank him higher if I didn't like his WWF days. The untrusting, cowardly weasel that would walk over one of his guys for a slice of pizza types. Great manager in Memphis, really great.

5. Jim Cornette

Part of me didn't like Cornette because he's a little too 'deep south' for my tastes. The ole 'rich momma's boy who actually lives with his momma' routine never really appealed to me. I also thought he was more funny than being actually hated. STill though, a great manager, but I've got him ranked 5th.

YR

YR

No guys from the WWWF on there? I guess I wouldn't have had any on there either. I think Abdullah Farouk was good when he was manager of the original Sheik.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3895362 said:

1. Bobby Heenan

2. Gary Hart

3. Paul E. Dangerously

5. Jim Cornette

Mine would be...

1. Paul Ellering. The Road Warriors were just awesome and he seemed almost as tough. I remember him talking about using that rolled up newspaper to swat a dog's nose to tell them no. He didn't over power his stable either. He let them talk. Loved how Hawk, always started his comments yelling "Well," and then ended with "what a rush."

2. James J. Dillon. All the wrestling stables ever pale in comparison to the original 4 Horsemen.

3. Gary Hart. Gotta agree with you on how good he was.

4. Kevin Sullivan. He was seriously weird, but the Varsity Club was awesome.

5. Bobby Heenan. I liked him better as a commentator than a manager, but the guy just had that greatness factor in whatever he did.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Has anyone caught the vid on youtube of Jim Cornette going thru the drive thru at dairy queen and they didnt have his order ready when he got to the window.
Wow he went off on the poor gal.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
Achilleslastand;3895533 said:
Has anyone caught the vid on youtube of Jim Cornette going thru the drive thru at dairy queen and they didnt have his order ready when he got to the window.
Wow he went off on the poor gal.

He looks like a 5th grade Girl Scout could whip up on him...never saw the video if this is true.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Wow, couple of my favorites

-Undertaker
first time I ever saw restling, it was him and he's been my favorite sense
-Shawn Michaels
Another one of my favorites, heel or face, I always rooted for Michaels
-Kevin Nash/Big Daddy Cool Diesel
-Scott Hall/Razor Ramon
-Brett Hart
I liked him far more as a heel, probably because I couldn't stand stone cold steve austin

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Any manager list that doesn't include Bobby Heenan and Classy Freddie simply isn't a valid list in the least. :p

Phoenix

Reaction score
Okay, here are some thoughts:

Faces

DX (HHH/HBK)
Mick Foley
Rey Mysterio Jr
Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Ultimate Warrior
The Rock
Stone Cold
Brett the Hitman Heart
HHH
Undertaker
Shawn Michaels
Brutus the Barber Beefcake
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Sting
Diamond Dallas Page
Jake the Snake Roberts
DE....MO....LI...TION!!
The Bushwackers!
Hulk Hogan
John Cena
Test
Goldberg
Dusty Rhodes
Lex Lugar
Chris Benoit "the Crippler"
Jeff Hardy

Heels

Vader
Randy Orton
Vince McMahon
Diesel (Kevin Nash)
Big BOSS Man!
Mr. Perfect
The Great Kali
Ravishing Rick Rude
Andre the Giant
Legion of Doom
Million Dollar Man
Kane
Booker T
JBL
Earthquake
Ric Flair
Razor Ramon (Scott Hall)
Kurt Angle
Edge
Y2J
Steiner Brothers
Sid Vicious

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
I always hated Vadar because I was such a big Sting fan and they had some great feuds...and I feel into the trap of thinking he was just this big lug.

And maybe a year or so ago I saw an interview of his and he was bright and articulate and so different than the image I had of him.

I knew better because that's a character he played. He was scary strong. I remember that about him.