WR's, who do you like

J-man

Reaction score
Here is an alphabetical list of our WR's currently on the rooster:

T Austin N Brown R Cobb A Cooper R Davis M Gallup
J Guyton A Hurns J Johnson L Lenoir D Smith C Wilson

I personally think this group has a chance to be really good. We seem to have all the WR "types" to have a dynamic offense. Speed, quickness, hands, size and route running. But there are some questions as to who makes the cut and who doesn't. I have my list but I'd love to hear what ya'll think.

How many do we keep?
Who makes the 53?
Who makes the 46?
Who makes the PS?
Who are your starting 5?

John813

Reaction score
Could see Austin as a 53 man cut if Pollard looks good and young guy like Johnson shows some deep threat ability.
Not sure if Hurns makes it either, especially if Cooper, Gallup and Cobb finish the PS healthy.

Locks:
Cooper, Gallup, Cobb (3)

Strong contenders/vets:
Wilson, Austin, Brown, Hurns(4)

Surprises:
Johnson, Davis, Guyton (3)

I'll go with:
Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Wilson, Brown and Johnson.

They'll go 3 deep at TE and Brown will once again play that hybrid TE/WR spot again.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You think Hurns makes it back? Giving up on N Brown?
Why wouldn't Hurns make it back, he has already been practicing. Brown was my next guy to make the roster but gets beat out and falls just short. He has been a good blocking receiver but injuries and not being much a threat in the passing game will hurt his chances...... Just my opinion, I think Johnson and Wilson are better and have higher upside.

starfan1

Reaction score
Coop ,Gallup and Cobb locks. Austin because his special teams threats. Hurn's because he is a reliable vet and if an injury happens he can contribute immediately if his injury is healed. that 6th spot and i believe the final one is up for grabs. I don't know why they would have held on to Wilson this long only to let him walk. I think they like him. They like 2 of the new guys I hear so its going to be tough. Its a good problem to have.

Brown can take a hike I've seen enough of him. If you aren't converting him to TE then he needs to go there's enough talent at the WR position to pinch him out.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

I personally think this group has a chance to be really good. We seem to have all the WR "types" to have a dynamic offense. Speed, quickness, hands, size and route running. But there are some questions as to who makes the cut and who doesn't. I have my list but I'd love to hear what ya'll think.

How many do we keep?
Who makes the 53?
Who makes the 46?
Who makes the PS?
Who are your starting 5?

1. Amari Cooper
2. Michael Gallup
3. Randall Cobb
4. Allen Hurns
5. Cedric Wilson
6. Tavon Austin

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
H
Coop ,Gallup and Cobb locks. Austin because his special teams threats. Hurn's because he is a reliable vet and if an injury happens he can contribute immediately if his injury is healed. that 6th spot and i believe the final one is up for grabs. I don't know why they would have held on to Wilson this long only to let him walk. I think they like him. They like 2 of the new guys I hear so its going to be tough. Its a good problem to have.

Brown can take a hike I've seen enough of him. If you aren't converting him to TE then he needs to go there's enough talent at the WR position to pinch him out.
Held on to Wilson this long? He was just drafted last year, got hurt in training camp. 1 year is holding a guy too long? I agree with you that he makes the roster and Brown most likely is gone.

They kept 7 last year and if I'm not mistaken 8 one time. I think Johnson forces them to keep 7 again.

I agree with you on the 6 you picked though.

starfan1

Reaction score
H

Held on to Wilson this long? He was just drafted last year, got hurt in training camp. 1 year is holding a guy too long? I agree with you that he makes the roster and Brown most likely is gone.

They kept 7 last year and if I'm not mistaken 8 one time. I think Johnson forces them to keep 7 again.

I agree with you on the 6 you picked though.
my bad I thought he was drafted 2 years ago.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I think, or like to believe, that we have a solid group of guys at the position. Should be competitive. I'm especially stoked to see what Wilson does. He wasn't super flashy at Boise State but he made plays, moved the chains, and had good hands. I hope that translates to the pros.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

How many do we keep?
Who makes the 53?
Who makes the 46?
Who makes the PS?
Who are your starting 5?

Good question. DL is the other head scratcher. I see Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Wilson, Hurns, Brown. Johnson to the PS. Hurns is the only name that is on the bubble.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think we keep six receivers heading into the season.

I personally hope we keep Austin because he’s a dynamic player (reciever/returner/gadget) that brings a skill set you don’t typically have in a 5th or 6th receiver. We saw that last year against the Giants on the 60 yard TD and in the playoffs against the Seahawks when he had a punt return TD called back on a weak penalty and then turns around and returns the next one 50-60 yards.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How many do we keep?
Who makes the 53?
Who makes the 46?
Who makes the PS?
Who are your starting 5?

This makes for a very good conversation, as I feel that the Cowboys have done a great job of remaking their wide receiver corps in a short period of time and are now quite deep at the position.

I think there are three 'locks' and then it's all up for grabs.

I have Cooper, Gallup and Cobb set for roles, and after that's it's a toss up. Due to roster sizes on both the offensive and defensive lines, I think the Cowboys can only keep 6 receivers in total.

I think veterans like Hurns and Austin have a 50-50 shock to stick around. Austin due to health and Hurns due to contract. If Austin gets hurt and misses any time, he's a goner. And if Hurns is unwilling to take a substantial paycut, I don't see him sticking around.

Noah Brown has to step up and show that he's an actual receiver, rather than a gadget blocker.

And it will be interesting to see what the young guys can do, specifically Wilson's return from injury and if Jon'vea Johnson can keep his early momentum going when the stakes get higher.

My best guess for who sticks as of today would be:

Cooper
Gallup
Cobb
Austin
Wilson
Johnson

Jumbo075

Reaction score
It seems that every year, some wide receiver gets everyone excited in OTA's and minicamp, only to fade once the pads come on in training camp. I think the Cowboys have a lot to choose from, so it's a good problem to have. I will wait until training camp is about half way through before I start picking out the bottom 20 guys.

Top 33 guys - locks to make the team (barring injury)

Offense - 18 players
QB - Dak Prescott
RB - Ezekiel Elliott, Jamize Olawale, Tony Pollard
TE - Jason Witten, Blake Jarwin, Dalton Schultz
OT - Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Cameron Fleming
OG - Zack Martin, Connor Williams, Connor McGovern
OC - Travis Frederick, Joe Looney
WR - Amari Cooper, Randall Cobb, Michael Gallup

Defense - 14 players (plus 1 suspended player)
DE - DeMarcus Lawrence, Robert Quinn, Tyrone Crawford (Randy Gregory - suspended)
DT - Maliek Collins, Trysten Hill
LB - Leighton Vander Esch, Jaylon Smith, Sean Lee, Joe Thomas
CB - Byron Jones, Chidobe Awuzie, Anthony Brown
S - Xavier Woods, Jeff Heath

Special Teams - 1
LS - L.P. Ladouceur

CCBoy

Reaction score
This group of receivers is like looking at the field for the Kentucky Derby...failure at any stage and one doesn't place. Some great speed in this group. If a fan, just don't blink....but, what fun watching.:starspin:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'll go with:
Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Wilson, Brown and Johnson.
You thoughts & list are about spot on with mine. I know Brown does a lot of little things that are no doubt important but man I just haven't seen enough from him to prevent me from rolling with someone who could be more of a threat. I worry that the staff overvalues some of his skills and if injuries forced him to take a bigger role those skills wouldn't be as good as other options. Overall I believe we have as much or more talent at the position as i can remember in quite a while.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Cooper, Gallup and Cobb. Then likey Wilson. After that it’s mix and match. They all have a chance. Hurns has to come back from that injury completely and Brown has to make a step up from last year. It opens the door for a bunch of young talent.

See who Dak gets a connection with. It has to be exciting for these young kids knowing they have a real shot at making the 53. Some teams are pretty much set and it would take a miracle to get playing time.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I'm thinking the rookie running back it's going to be special teams threat over Austin. I think Austin is a casualty