Cooper
Gallup
Cobb
Austin
Hurns
Wilson
Johnson

Smith and Guyton to the practice squad
I think Austin is going to be a casualty goodbye. I think the rookie running back will take over special teams

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? No one has Lenior....:lmao:

Still not buying the Wilson hype. I need to see him in a full TC and in PS games, and same for the UDFA rookies, or other FA's.

As no one has mentioned Devin Smith that I seen, unless I missed it.

So until I see otherwise with my eye test in TC. LOL. And yes, my new glasses combine this week, so we will see if they got the prescription correct. :laugh:
I will go with...

Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Brown, Hurns, and Smith or Wilson (based on potential from what people say on here) if they keep 7.
I say Smith just to be different.

Possibly gets replaced is Hurns, Brown, then Austin in that order.
Johnson and Guyton to the PS, one if not both.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I think Austin is going to be a casualty goodbye. I think the rookie running back will take over special teams
That's possible, but Austin can play. Not just return guy but all over the offense. He is also one of the fastest guys on the team. We could have a ton of packages with speed everywhere, I'm talking legit 4.3 speed.

ESisback

Reaction score
This makes for a very good conversation, as I feel that the Cowboys have done a great job of remaking their wide receiver corps in a short period of time and are now quite deep at the position.

I think there are three 'locks' and then it's all up for grabs.

I have Cooper, Gallup and Cobb set for roles, and after that's it's a toss up. Due to roster sizes on both the offensive and defensive lines, I think the Cowboys can only keep 6 receivers in total.

I think veterans like Hurns and Austin have a 50-50 shock to stick around. Austin due to health and Hurns due to contract. If Austin gets hurt and misses any time, he's a goner. And if Hurns is unwilling to take a substantial paycut, I don't see him sticking around.

Noah Brown has to step up and show that he's an actual receiver, rather than a gadget blocker.

And it will be interesting to see what the young guys can do, specifically Wilson's return from injury and if Jon'vea Johnson can keep his early momentum going when the stakes get higher.

My best guess for who sticks as of today would be:

Cooper
Gallup
Cobb
Austin
Wilson
Johnson

Too much talent! Good problem to have! I think if they put Johnson on the PS, he’ll get poached.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm thinking the rookie running back it's going to be special teams threat over Austin. I think Austin is a casualty

I think that's a distinct possibility, especially if Austin gets hurt again and misses time. I've read that he's already missed some OTA work due to a hamstring issue, not doing him any favors. While I'd love for the team to have a speed/playmaking ability player like Austin on the roster, I don't think they will have much patience with injury. Austin's missed time last year has put him on thin ice as it is and I'm not sure the Cowboys will have the patience to deal with any more. And given the depth and other options, they won't have to.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too much talent! Good problem to have! I think if they put Johnson on the PS, he’ll get poached.

It's a possibility if he carries over the momentum he's had recently into training camp and the preseason. My own thinking is that I'd prefer to keep a young talent with upside potential over Hurns in the final year of his contract here. Honestly, if the glowing reports on Cobb continue, I'd turn around and cut Hurns and offer that money to Cobb on an extension already.

J-man

Reaction score
My list goes Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin and Johnson as the top 5.
I think Wilson has the inside track for the 6th spot. It will be between Brown and Hurns to decide the 7th spot (if there is one).
I think they want to roll with 6 but may be forced to keep 7. They like all 3 of these guys and may not want to cut bait with all of them.
Hurns probably gets the nod here but will have to show he's 100% and willing to take a pay cut. Brown will have to show marketable improvement and is most likely the odd man out.
Guyton to the PS. I think Brown has PS eligibility left, any know for sure?

Austin is a top 5 guy on my list but TBH, I have never been sold on him. Speed yes, but questions everywhere else. His real value to this team is a returner. Does having Cobb and Johnson make him, his $ and his injury history expendable?

lostar2009

Reaction score
I don't think Hurns and Austin make it. They didn't do squat last year so I doubt they do anything this year. Hurns had that one play which resulted in an injury but besides that I don't recall him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Hurns and Austin make it. They didn't do squat last year so I doubt they do anything this year. Hurns had that one play which resulted in an injury but besides that I don't recall him.

I wouldn't say that Austin "didn't do squat", I'd say that like many other players, the boring, unimaginative Scott Linehan failed to use him. Austin produced very good numbers with the limited chances he did get.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Austin will be a cut unless we get hit with injuries in camp. I think Wilson will be a cut unless he really bounces back from injury fast. I think Noah Brown will be a cut as well. The experiment known as Lance Lenoir will be over as well. Jon vea Johnson and Guyton will make the team. Barring injury..they make it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm guessing 7 make the 53

Cooper
Gallup
Cobb
Austin
Hurns
Wilson
Johnson

Smith and Guyton to the practice squad
that's reasonable...I would replace Hurns with Brown. Brown in our multi receiver offense can create mismatches as a hybrid TE/WR due to his blocking abilities. if they put a safety on him, then you run and he can block..if you match him with a LB, then he goes into a route.....not sure what hurns brings to the table. I am on the bubble with Austin if he is 4th or 5th on the list and we have some players that are on PS and can be pulled into active roster. Austin doesn't bring much to the table at this point for what he costs. if he cost the minimum, then I would reconsider. I like Johnson.

Rayman70

Reaction score
that's reasonable...I would replace Hurns with Brown. Brown in our multi receiver offense can create mismatches as a hybrid TE/WR due to his blocking abilities. if they put a safety on him, then you run and he can block..if you match him with a LB, then he goes into a route.....not sure what hurns brings to the table. I am on the bubble with Austin if he is 4th or 5th on the list and we have some players that are on PS and can be pulled into active roster. Austin doesn't bring much to the table at this point for what he costs. if he cost the minimum, then I would reconsider. I like Johnson.
I think Hurns will stay put. He's a great guy to have in the wr room for the youngsters. Brown hasn't panned out well. Austin,Lenoir, brown will be gone barring injury.

Rayman70

Reaction score
My list goes Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin and Johnson as the top 5.
I think Wilson has the inside track for the 6th spot. It will be between Brown and Hurns to decide the 7th spot (if there is one).
I think they want to roll with 6 but may be forced to keep 7. They like all 3 of these guys and may not want to cut bait with all of them.
Hurns probably gets the nod here but will have to show he's 100% and willing to take a pay cut. Brown will have to show marketable improvement and is most likely the odd man out.
Guyton to the PS. I think Brown has PS eligibility left, any know for sure?

Austin is a top 5 guy on my list but TBH, I have never been sold on him. Speed yes, but questions everywhere else. His real value to this team is a returner. Does having Cobb and Johnson make him, his $ and his injury history expendable?
Not so sure on Austin. His spot may go to Ced Wilson or Guyton.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
1. Amari Cooper
2. Michael Gallup
3. Randall Cobb
4. Allen Hurns
5. Cedric Wilson
6. Tavon Austin

I love this, but Cobb and Hurns seem redundant, and it'd probably be best if one of the UDFA speedsters or Devin Smith beat Hurns out considering CAP savings.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Pathetic considering our TE rotation wasnt strong taking those targets, but pretty incredible that Dak had a high comp % considering the slot wasnt targeted.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think Hurns will stay put. He's a great guy to have in the wr room for the youngsters. Brown hasn't panned out well. Austin,Lenoir, brown will be gone barring injury.
not sure about Brown....he is not fast or greatest route runner, but if used right he can create mismatches.....I like Hurns, but is his time run its course? he will be 5th or 6th on the depth chart and you want those guys to be developmental type since most often they may not even be active on game day.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wouldn't say that Austin "didn't do squat", I'd say that like many other players, the boring, unimaginative Scott Linehan failed to use him. Austin produced very good numbers with the limited chances he did get.
That's fake snap, doesn't work without great blocking cuz they know it's coming . I wouldn't say what a waste of career . But the kid has talent coming out of his ears. Just can't stay healthy I think. Too small?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Tavon is one of the players I'm most excited to watch this season