WWE News: John Cena Confirms That He Will Never Turn Heel

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WWE News: John Cena Confirms That He Will Never Turn Heel
Posted: August 24, 2014

John Cena creates controversy as soon as his entrance music hits. As soon as Cena began his journey to the top of WWE, the Internet Wrestling Community started to clamor and predict when he would turn heel. It made sense that if Hulk Hogan could turn heel that Cena could too. In the end, it made sense for Hogan to turn. Cena as a heel just doesn’t make sense.

Despite what Cena wants, the WWE won’t pull the trigger. There will never be another “Bash at the Beach” moment for the man from West Newbury, Massachusetts. In fact, Cena commented on the potential for a heel turn and the result isn’t what the IWC wanted.

“[It will] never happen,” Cena said. “Oh I’ve got it in me for sure… I do what they tell me, boss.”

To say that Cena owns the skill to be a heel is an understatement. When he portrayed the “Doctor of Thuganomics” persona, Cena was a crowd favorite, while at the same time continuing to be a jerk to popular superstars. For example, Cena had many memorable moments with the crowd and some WWE legends.

A few weeks ago, John Cena teased a heel turn on Twitter. For the people who believed him, don’t let him fool you again. Cena will never go to the dark side of the wrestling industry. It isn’t in his blood. From a booking standpoint, nobody has the ability to carry the company as a top face right now.

Few wrestling fans really stop and think about the business aspect of the industry. It is easy to say that a young guy has all the tools to become the face of WWE. Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, and Dean Ambrose are the future of WWE. That is not in doubt, but not one of them is ready to lead a company into the future.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1430625/ww...-he-will-never-turn-heel/#JXLyfeMP8AAQv14Z.99

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Money is made in pro wrestling when the fans see babyfaces they want to see. That's Cena's strength...he gets the heel that is getting too popular to be a heel and feuds with that heel and after the feud the heel turns face. And Cena can still stay face himself and generate money from his fans.

The problem is that the last couple of feuds he has had it against heels that the company doesn't want to turn face (Wyatt and Lesnar). It's a big part of the reason why the WWE has struggled the past year or so.

I can't say I blame the WWE and Cena for not wanting to turn him heel. I think he still has those feuds and that ability to turn popular heels into faces in him.

In order to get the Hogan epic turn, Cena's popularity will have to reduce like Hogan's did. They will also need a very strong babyface for Cena to turn against. At this point, unless Daniel Bryan regains his popularity when he comes back, I think it's going to be a long time before we see that happen.

YR

jrumann59

Reaction score
Money is made in pro wrestling when the fans see babyfaces they want to see. That's Cena's strength...he gets the heel that is getting too popular to be a heel and feuds with that heel and after the feud the heel turns face. And Cena can still stay face himself and generate money from his fans.

The problem is that the last couple of feuds he has had it against heels that the company doesn't want to turn face (Wyatt and Lesnar). It's a big part of the reason why the WWE has struggled the past year or so.

I can't say I blame the WWE and Cena for not wanting to turn him heel. I think he still has those feuds and that ability to turn popular heels into faces in him.

In order to get the Hogan epic turn, Cena's popularity will have to reduce like Hogan's did. They will also need a very strong babyface for Cena to turn against. At this point, unless Daniel Bryan regains his popularity when he comes back, I think it's going to be a long time before we see that happen.

YR

Hogan turned heel because he was in decline and nobody saw it coming and nobody though he could do it I mean for much of the 80's he was as All-American as it came, "say your prays and take your vitamins". The NWO allowed Hogan to be the face of a stable where he didn't need to do the work because he was physically pretty much unable. Cena's popularity can wane because if he stays face too long people will come to hate him, look ate Brett Hart at the start of the attitude era he was wildly popular and his act grew tired that is the thing Cena is going to face.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
There's such a large percentage of fans wanting a Cena heel turn that if he did turn heel any time soon he'd get cheered out the building which isn't exactly the reaction they'd want.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Hogan turned heel because he was in decline and nobody saw it coming and nobody though he could do it I mean for much of the 80's he was as All-American as it came, "say your prays and take your vitamins". The NWO allowed Hogan to be the face of a stable where he didn't need to do the work because he was physically pretty much unable. Cena's popularity can wane because if he stays face too long people will come to hate him, look ate Brett Hart at the start of the attitude era he was wildly popular and his act grew tired that is the thing Cena is going to face.

People saw it coming. The entire storyline leading up to it was set up that way on whether or not Hogan would turn. That was a big reason why people tuned in, to see if he would turn or not.

There was also the sentiment from wrestling fans that Hogan would just outright refuse to turn heel. By that time, even the biggest marks started to realize that Hogan had creative control and used it to put himself over all of the time. Vince and the WWF (at that time) were discussing Hogan's ego and his creative control so it was fairly well known. And I think a lot of fans just thought Hogan would never allow himself to turn heel.

So when he did turn heel, it shocked and angered a lot of fans because they thought WCW would end up teasing a heel turn, but Hogan would never allow himself to turn heel.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
There's such a large percentage of fans wanting a Cena heel turn that if he did turn heel any time soon he'd get cheered out the building which isn't exactly the reaction they'd want.

Hogan ended up getting cheers soon after turning heel. IMO, the Hogan heel turn ultimately led to WCW's demise. It was great for business in the short term. But, Hogan can't work and by him refusing to put people over (which is really what a heel is supposed to do in the end), it just made the babyfaces look even worse because they couldn't beat a slow, plodding old man whose finisher was a leg drop.

The Hogan heel turn basically gave Hogan a leg to stand on for why he should continue main eventing cards and it effectively put a halt to the most important part of a wrestling promotion...creating and promoting new stars.

Cena doesn't appear to have that big of an ego. I'm not a big fan of his in-ring skills, but he's mobile and athletic and actually is good at calling matches in the ring. I think the opportunity should be there in the future for big money from a heel turn and the WWE actually sustaining that heel turn and using it to build new stars, unlike Hogan's turn.

YR

jrumann59

Reaction score
He is one of the most boring guys on that show.

He doesn't have the charisma of The Rock, and maybe him being a face makes him boring because you know he will take abuse from anyone and then throw out a witty one liner or two. I like his character I like that he appears gracious. WWE has recycled storylines for so long that I do not think it is Cena but the company, when you really have no competition you descend to mediocrity. I have watched more TNA in the last year than WWE, not that the stories are more compelling but it has been a little more entertaining.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Hogan ended up getting cheers soon after turning heel. IMO, the Hogan heel turn ultimately led to WCW's demise. It was great for business in the short term. But, Hogan can't work and by him refusing to put people over (which is really what a heel is supposed to do in the end), it just made the babyfaces look even worse because they couldn't beat a slow, plodding old man whose finisher was a leg drop.

The Hogan heel turn basically gave Hogan a leg to stand on for why he should continue main eventing cards and it effectively put a halt to the most important part of a wrestling promotion...creating and promoting new stars.

Cena doesn't appear to have that big of an ego. I'm not a big fan of his in-ring skills, but he's mobile and athletic and actually is good at calling matches in the ring. I think the opportunity should be there in the future for big money from a heel turn and the WWE actually sustaining that heel turn and using it to build new stars, unlike Hogan's turn.

YR

Can't really disagree with that. A Cena turn would essentially go the other way to Hogan as far as reaction in my opinion. Immediate reaction would be him getting cheered but I'm pretty certain he could play a heel successfully, see the video I posted a few minutes ago, and really help cement some of the up and coming guys as main eventers.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
He doesn't have the charisma of The Rock, and maybe him being a face makes him boring because you know he will take abuse from anyone and then throw out a witty one liner or two. I like his character I like that he appears gracious. WWE has recycled storylines for so long that I do not think it is Cena but the company, when you really have no competition you descend to mediocrity. I have watched more TNA in the last year than WWE, not that the stories are more compelling but it has been a little more entertaining.

I actually think he has no charisma. It's just wash, rinse, & repeat with him & I'm not a long time viewer.

I completely agree about the no competition theory. They can do whatever they want because they're it. Watch it or don't. We're going to do what we want.

If they'd get Stephanie & her stupid faces off there it'd go a long way for me to enjoy it more.

Cena just bores me. Talking, wrestling, whatever.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Cena is a very entertaining heel.

His face thing was great...for a couple of years. But now it's long passed the expired date of the Hustle, Loyalty, Respect, never give up thing.

It's tiring, it's boring, and the only people he's even remotely popular to is the 5-10 year old demographic. Anyone above the age of about 10 rolls their eyes when he comes out and spews the same promos week after week after week.

They could do a heel turn, and it would work in a huge way, because even without him saying that no one believes he'll ever actually turn.

The funny thing is that in not turning him the WWE is making him into a hated person anyway. It's just not the right type of hated. No one actually wants to see John Cena in this gimmick anymore and like I said unless you're in the 5-10 year old range then it's pretty highly likely that you're not rooting for him to win, or beat the bad guys, any more.

But I will admit that the WWE has a huge problem in that they're very light on big time faces who could take his place. With Bryan out the only other guy out there who you could build around as the face of the company is CM Punk and quite frankly Punk is a much, much, much better bad guy. Punk can be a really entertaining good guy, and has pulled it off with zero issue, but he's at his absolute best as a heel.

Sadly outside of those two the WWE doesn't have anyone else who could even remotely be the top face guy. They just don't have those guys, for whatever reason, right now.

To get that they're gonna have to bring in an established guy from outside of the company and let him be a big time face right from the start and let them run with it. You could possibly go Samoa Joe or AJ Styles for those roles if they were so inclined but I don't know if either of those guys can draw to the level they'd need them to in order to replace Cena at the top of the face chain.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I sure wish I had watched when Punk was there. Watching him on video he's entertaining & a good wrestler.

He's much better than Cena on every level from what I saw.

And bleh Brock. A part time part timer as champ. That is just not right.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score

His face thing was great...for a couple of years. But now it's long passed the expired date of the Hustle, Loyalty, Respect, never give up thing.

It's tiring, it's boring, and the only people he's even remotely popular to is the 5-10 year old demographic. Anyone above the age of about 10 rolls their eyes when he comes out and spews the same promos week after week after week.

They could do a heel turn, and it would work in a huge way, because even without him saying that no one believes he'll ever actually turn.

The funny thing is that in not turning him the WWE is making him into a hated person anyway. It's just not the right type of hated. No one actually wants to see John Cena in this gimmick anymore and like I said unless you're in the 5-10 year old range then it's pretty highly likely that you're not rooting for him to win, or beat the bad guys, any more.

But I will admit that the WWE has a huge problem in that they're very light on big time faces who could take his place. With Bryan out the only other guy out there who you could build around as the face of the company is CM Punk and quite frankly Punk is a much, much, much better bad guy. Punk can be a really entertaining good guy, and has pulled it off with zero issue, but he's at his absolute best as a heel.

Sadly outside of those two the WWE doesn't have anyone else who could even remotely be the top face guy. They just don't have those guys, for whatever reason, right now.

To get that they're gonna have to bring in an established guy from outside of the company and let him be a big time face right from the start and let them run with it. You could possibly go Samoa Joe or AJ Styles for those roles if they were so inclined but I don't know if either of those guys can draw to the level they'd need them to in order to replace Cena at the top of the face chain.

I generally hate long posts but I've read yours & they are very insightful. I can tell you really are a big fan.

I'm learning.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I sure wish I had watched when Punk was there. Watching him on video he's entertaining & a good wrestler.

He's much better than Cena on every level from what I saw.

And bleh Brock. A part time part timer as champ. That is just not right.

Punk is one of the best ever. He's got everything you want in a main event player.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The problem with the WWE is the fans want a face that is part heel and heel that is all heel, there creativity has no room for a true face. If you look at the biggest stars they had the faces where not 100% faces a la hogan era but they do not design things that way that is why Stone Cold was so popular, the Kliq was popular, the Rock was popular, CM punk was popular etc.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score

Joe's far better as a heel as well. If they were to take anyone from TNA and push them it should probably be Bobby Roode but again he is at his best as a heel. Plus Vince isn't exactly keen on acknowledging anything anyone has done before WWE so any of these guys would likely start off in NXT or feuding with Heath Slater or Zack Ryder

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Joe's far better as a heel as well. If they were to take anyone from TNA and push them it should probably be Bobby Roode but again he is at his best as a heel. Plus Vince isn't exactly keen on acknowledging anything anyone has done before WWE so any of these guys would likely start off in NXT or feuding with Heath Slater or Zack Ryder

Roode is amazing. My favorite guy in TNA but i excluded him because he's, without a doubt, a far stronger heel. I love that guy as a bad guy.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

Hogan turned heel in May of 1996, within that year and a half between Bash at the Beach and Starcade, he lost to Piper, he lost a tag match to to Luger and the Giant, where he submitted, he lost to Luger in a title match, he lost to Piper again in a non-title match, then at Starcade, he lost the title to Sting.

Not to mention, for almost that entire time period Hogan and the now put Sting so ridiculously over. He routinely took out the entire faction single handidly, so may times that you could argue after Starcade, he was the biggest name in the business.