WWE "Silent Protest"?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the posts zrinkill.

Obviously Nash isn't 7'. Might even be a shade less than 6'10".

The Big Show looks like he's no more than 7'. He might even be a shade less.

lothos05

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prior to getting a big "channel bump" and suddenly getting TBS (Georgia Championship Wrestling) and other channels back in 1982... we had been receiving 3 wresting programs for several years...

The one on the longest was on CHCH out of the Toronto area. This was a Frank Tunney/Whipper Billy Watson promotion that was original part of the original Sheik's territory (Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo/Toronto), which was loosely affiliated with the NWA.

The second longest one was the WWWF show that shown at midnight on Saturday nights on WOR out of NYC.

The third was on a Buffalo TV station Saturday afternoons and was the NWA Mid-Atlantic area show– this by far was the best of the 3. Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Jimmy Snuka, Blackjack Mulligan, Paul Jones, Ole & Gene Anderson... It was just an amazing array of talent.

Ah, starting to jog some of the old memories again about watching wrestling on the WOR tv station! I was too far east to receive the Toronto and Buffalo feeds but sure did watch it on channel 9 . . . although, I hadn't realized it was on at midnight then.

It would have been awesome to watch the NWA back then with that line-up! Instead, we saw some decent mid-card talent such as S.D. Jones, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Ken Patera, Mil Mascaras, Johnny Rodz, George 'the Animal' Steele, etc but nothing like what they had in the NWA. For some reason, I even remember referee Dick Worley and announcer Gary Michael Cappetta.

In regards to the height/weight of wrestlers, I believe they were deliberately distorted to give them the aura of being 'larger than life.' McMahon did this especially with his dinosaurs (credit to the Hitman for that reference) like Andre, Gorilla Monsoon, Haystacks Calhoun and Hogan. I think he tried to carry that illusion out as long as he could at least until Triple H, Nash, Scott Hall and Shawn Michaels had their curtain call at MSG.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Growing up if it wasn't WWF it was this for me as far as TV goes:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ah, starting to jog some of the old memories again about watching wrestling on the WOR tv station! I was too far east to receive the Toronto and Buffalo feeds but sure did watch it on channel 9 . . . although, I hadn't realized it was on at midnight then.

It would have been awesome to watch the NWA back then with that line-up! Instead, we saw some decent mid-card talent such as S.D. Jones, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Ken Patera, Mil Mascaras, Johnny Rodz, George 'the Animal' Steele, etc but nothing like what they had in the NWA. For some reason, I even remember referee Dick Worley and announcer Gary Michael Cappetta.

In regards to the height/weight of wrestlers, I believe they were deliberately distorted to give them the aura of being 'larger than life.' McMahon did this especially with his dinosaurs (credit to the Hitman for that reference) like Andre, Gorilla Monsoon, Haystacks Calhoun and Hogan. I think he tried to carry that illusion out as long as he could at least until Triple H, Nash, Scott Hall and Shawn Michaels had their curtain call at MSG.

Oh yes, and Dr George Zahorian at ringside, who was doling out steroids.

WOR use to have horse-racing on prior to the WWWF show at midnight.

Yeah as far as lineups go the WWWF talent was pretty shallow compared to what the NWA could put out there. I remember watching Swede Hanson get a title shot against Backlund in the Garden after giving perennial jobber Frankie Williams two pile-drivers.

Then a few weeks later there was Blackjack Mulligan beating Hanson with a clean pin-fall right on Mid-Atlantic's weekly TV show.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really good shoot interview with King Kong Bundy by Vince Russo. I LOVE his blatant upfront no BS opinions and the way he expresses them.

http://www.pyroandballyhoo.com/podc...whulk-andre-locker-room-changed-returned-wwe/

Thanks for that!

It is a very good interview.

Interesting point in that Bundy doesn't think today's professional wrestlers even look like professional wrestlers.

He said guys like CM Punk don't even have a physical presence– and he's right.

Look at the image of Harley Race posted earlier... the guy looks like a pro wrestler and has a definite physical presence.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
032713-Paul-Wright-SW-PI_20130327174903639_660_320.JPG

His college days photo. Everything I read said he was 6-11.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6-11 is probably on the button.

FYI...he couldn't play a lick of hoops. When he signed his letter, everyone around here thought they were getting a beast center, an interior presence that would be a true game changer. Turned out to be a cruel joke. He got exposed regularily and was just down right painful to watch.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
so Daniel Bryan swerved us all and announced he is not retiring and going to be in the Royal Rumble...unless a heel is going to win it, Bryan seems like the most logical choice. Anyone else will just get a ton of heat.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
FYI...he couldn't play a lick of hoops. When he signed his letter, everyone around here thought they were getting a beast center, an interior presence that would be a true game changer. Turned out to be a cruel joke. He got exposed regularily and was just down right painful to watch.

He can't wrestle either. All I've ever seen him do is punch people. He's the one that one week he's bad & the next he's good.

I saw a segment last night where he then Reigns by the hair over a table & then tossed the table on him. I know the guy can wedge himself where that table will not hurt him but it looks dangerous to throw somebody into a group of chairs with arms. I would think he could break his ribs.

Last edited:

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
so Daniel Bryan swerved us all and announced he is not retiring and going to be in the Royal Rumble...unless a heel is going to win it, Bryan seems like the most logical choice. Anyone else will just get a ton of heat.

While I think that could most definitely happen..I think Reigns will still end up winning.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea true. There are many one note guys I see on tv.

I suppose a man Big Show's size can not be expected to be agile but he truly really is just a big lug out there.

When Andre the Giant was young, he could throw a decent drop kick.

No, TBS was never going to be an agile guy... heck he wasn't an agile basketball player. But he's put on so much excess weight that he's incredibly slow now.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
When Andre the Giant was young, he could throw a decent drop kick.

No, TBS was never going to be an agile guy... heck he wasn't an agile basketball player. But he's put on so much excess weight that he's incredibly slow now.

Maybe he has that gland issue that has made him so big.

Well I admire him at least for doing what he wants to do & being a success at it. He's a good bad guy. And probably a really nice person.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been watching the "Twilight Zone" marathon on SyFy and they're run umpteen commercials for "Smackdown" moving to Thursday night and the theme is that the different wrestlers are visiting a psychiatrist's office and are looking at "ink blots" and they are asked about what they see in the blots– and they always reply "Thursday" because the show is moving from Friday night to Thursday night.

Needless to say it never struck me more that these folks are actors and not wrestlers. I thought how ridiculous would it have looked for Bruno Samartino or Harley Race or the Four Horseman or Nick Bockwinkle to do something like that.

No wonder wrestling has lost the casual fan.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
6-11 is probably on the button.

Syracuse played Wichita State at the Carrier Dome and he was on the team. He road the bench and didn't play until the end of the game. Some other high school friends were at the game with different seats and the next day in school we couldn't believe how big this Paul Wight guy was.

YR

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been watching the "Twilight Zone" marathon on SyFy and they're run umpteen commercials for "Smackdown" moving to Thursday night and the theme is that the different wrestlers are visiting a psychiatrist's office and are looking at "ink blots" and they are asked about what they see in the blots– and they always reply "Thursday" because the show is moving from Friday night to Thursday night.

No wonder wrestling has lost the casual fan.

While that is a funny commercial, it helps explain storylines and how "wrestlers" who can speak get pushed over those who can't. Prime example is Ryback and Ziggler and The Miz. Also explains why the WWE is nervous about giving the belt to Roman Reigns.