X Box questions

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I'm thinking about finally breaking down and buying one. Thanks you EA Sports :bang2:

1. What is the difference between the different versions? Arcade is the cheapest but it is better to buy a better version.

2. I don't have a HDTV. Will the graphics be really bad?

3. I don't care anything about playing on line so do you have to have an xbox live account just to get updates?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Really the only difference between the systems is the amount of space you get on the hard drive disk and the HDMI cable you get with the elite system. As for the HDD, depends on what kinds of games you're going to be playing. If you're just sticking with sports games, you don't need a huge amount of space. I'm running out of space because I play online and have a lot of downloads.

If you don't have an HDTV to play it on, you don't need the HDMI cable. And while the graphics look better on HDTV, they certainly don't look bad on a standard def. The main difference I noticed on HDTV was that I could see the coloring better in games like first person shooters... I could see better in the dark, etc.

And yes, the updates come from being online. But if you don't want to PLAY online, and still want roster updates etc. you can just get a silver account which is pretty cheap.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
peplaw06;2760112 said:
Really the only difference between the systems is the amount of space you get on the hard drive disk and the HDMI cable you get with the elite system. As for the HDD, depends on what kinds of games you're going to be playing. If you're just sticking with sports games, you don't need a huge amount of space. I'm running out of space because I play online and have a lot of downloads.

If you don't have an HDTV to play it on, you don't need the HDMI cable. And while the graphics look better on HDTV, they certainly don't look bad on a standard def. The main difference I noticed on HDTV was that I could see the coloring better in games like first person shooters... I could see better in the dark, etc.

And yes, the updates come from being online. But if you don't want to PLAY online, and still want roster updates etc. you can just get a silver account which is pretty cheap.

:mad: So I gotta pay for something I'm not really going to use.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2760117 said:
A silver account isn't for the online gamer. That's basically all it's for is online updates. You don't get access to online gaming.

Just did a quick check and a silver account is free anyway. My bad. It's not something I'm familiar with. I don't even play a huge amount online, but the gold membership works out to something like $5 a month, so I have always had it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

No, the Silver account is free. The only difference between silver and gold is you need gold to play against others online and sometimes Demos/videos are available to gold exclusively sometimes before being released for silver members.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73905

thats the one you want. and no you dont have to pay for xbox live if you dont want it. Gold Live is 50 a year, Silver is Free; can't play your friends online though, but you get a free month of xbox gold to try it out and be amazed.

All of the consoles come with hdmi (im not 100% on the arcade though)

if you can i'd find an arcade a refurb'd 20 gb hdd and upgrade it to 120gb HELL of a lot cheaper then through msft:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just an idea to throw out, but I saw a couple at a pawn shop a few days ago...

I don't know what the difference would be between new and used, but it wouldn't hurt to look and see if they had something you can use.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
My wife got me an X-Box for Christmas a few years ago, for my office.

I've played it maybe a half dozen times, the NASCAR game. I just don't have the patience to learn how to play the other stuff, and I got about a dozen games. I can see why folks get into it though, it's just not my thing.

It's like new, obviously. You're welcome to it if you want to PM me and make a deal. Most of the other games are "fighting" or war games like Batman and army stuff. I got golf and baseball and football too. Again, like new.......

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
get a ps3 x-box's are crap. almost everybody i know has had to buy a new xbox 360 cause there original 360 broke. Sony>Microsoft.

Jap duribility>american duribility.

Ren

Reaction score
Rampage;2760307 said:
get a ps3 x-box's are crap. almost everybody i know has had to buy a new xbox 360 cause there original 360 broke. Sony>Microsoft.

This^^

The new models are more reliable but there are still issues, the older models are notoriously unreliable though so what ever you do don't buy a used one and get the extended warranty cause chances are you will need it at some point

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Rampage;2760307 said:

As I was typing this I said to myself....Self who would be the one person to say buy a *insert console* instead of *blank console* it would be Rampage.

If I had asked about a PS3 you'd have said they suck and to buy an XBox. :laugh2:

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Rampage;2760307 said:

they need to take better care of their electronics and not stuff them into a box with no air. i've had a launch 360 and it has yet to die on me i bought a launch elite and it has yet to die on me. ya stuff a computer in a small poorly vented place (like most entertainment stands) and they will fry out, Jap or not

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2760458 said:
As I was typing this I said to myself....Self who would be the one person to say buy a *insert console* instead of *blank console* it would be Rampage.

If I had asked about a PS3 you'd have said they suck and to buy an XBox. :laugh2:
no way yeager, i don't wanna see anymore people waste hundreds on a system that's a piece of crap. go with the ps3. remember "Ron Brace 4 life!"? well when it comes to video gaming it's "SONY 4 LIFE!"

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Rampage;2760557 said:
no way yeager, i don't wanna see anymore people waste hundreds on a system that's a piece of crap. go with the ps3. remember "Ron Brace 4 life!"? well when it comes to video gaming it's "SONY 4 LIFE!"

Considering a guaranteed 3 year console with free replacement if need be I wouldn't call it a waste. Now if the PS3 dies after 2 years, you're SOL.

Of course, I say buy both and a friggin' HDTV

Ren

Reaction score
the kid 05;2760513 said:
they need to take better care of their electronics and not stuff them into a box with no air. i've had a launch 360 and it has yet to die on me i bought a launch elite and it has yet to die on me. ya stuff a computer in a small poorly vented place (like most entertainment stands) and they will fry out, Jap or not

I've had 3 disc drive failures which has nothing to do with ventilation. I take good care of my stuff and it's a well documented fact that the 360 specially the early models have issues. Consider your self lucky if you haven't had any problems

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2760760 said:
Considering a guaranteed 3 year console with free replacement if need be I wouldn't call it a waste. Now if the PS3 dies after 2 years, you're SOL.

Of course, I say buy both and a friggin' HDTV

Send me some money :laugh2: