Yahoo: Darren Woodson: Bills lost Super Bowls due to excessive partying

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By MJD

From 1991 to 1994, the Buffalo Bills made it to four straight Super Bowls, and of course, lost every single one of them. According to Darren Woodson, a safety on the Dallas team that snatched two of those Lombardi trophies away from Buffalo, there was a reason the Bills kept getting spanked.

Woodson was on the Mike and Mike in the Morning show, and shared this insight about the Bills Super Bowl woes (via Sports by Brooks):

“As much as everyone talked about how much experience the Bills had back then, they partied harder than any other team. That’s all we heard about the entire week in L.A., the (Cowboys) first Super Bowl.

“They (Bills players) were out Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Couple guys got into altercations in the clubs, older, veteran guys with the Bills.

“Experience doesn’t mean that much, it’s all about leadership. There’s a reason they (Bills) lost four Super Bowls. They partied harder than any other team.”

Three thoughts immediately come to mind.

1) I like to imagine that Marv Levy was the ringleader in all of this, hosting all-night orgies and making fun of rookie defensive backs who wanted to go to bed at 3:30 a.m. It probably didn't go down that way, but the thought amuses me;

2) If a member of the early '90s Dallas Cowboys thinks you were partying too much, you must have had a serious problem, and;

3) It is a bit difficult to believe, isn't it? If, for the first three Super Bowls, you went and partied like Frank the Tank and you ended up losing three straight times, wouldn't you maybe rethink that approach for the fourth one?

Who knows? Darren Woodson was there; I wasn't. I'm sure Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas would give a different recollection of events, but it's one explanation. But at least the Bills aren't in a position to be repeating this mistake again anytime soon.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...lls-lost-Super-Bowls-due-to-ex?urn=nfl,216360

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3259549 said:
By MJD

From 1991 to 1994, the Buffalo Bills made it to four straight Super Bowls, and of course, lost every single one of them. According to Darren Woodson, a safety on the Dallas team that snatched two of those Lombardi trophies away from Buffalo, there was a reason the Bills kept getting spanked.

Woodson was on the Mike and Mike in the Morning show, and shared this insight about the Bills Super Bowl woes (via Sports by Brooks):

1) I like to imagine that Marv Levy was the ringleader in all of this, hosting all-night orgies and making fun of rookie defensive backs who wanted to go to bed at 3:30 a.m. It probably didn't go down that way, but the thought amuses me;

2) If a member of the early '90s Dallas Cowboys thinks you were partying too much, you must have had a serious problem, and;

3) It is a bit difficult to believe, isn't it? If, for the first three Super Bowls, you went and partied like Frank the Tank and you ended up losing three straight times, wouldn't you maybe rethink that approach for the fourth one?

Who knows? Darren Woodson was there; I wasn't. I'm sure Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas would give a different recollection of events, but it's one explanation. But at least the Bills aren't in a position to be repeating this mistake again anytime soon.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...lls-lost-Super-Bowls-due-to-ex?urn=nfl,216360
Ain't that the truth!?

locked&loaded

Reaction score
honestly though, when you look back on life are you going to regret that you didnt win the superbowl or that you didnt get lit of your mind all the time? I think we all know the Bills really won

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Darren's just repeating something he heard. He didn't witness it. It's just a 20 year old memory based on media reports.

In other words, not that reliable.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
babe laufenberg has talked about this from time to time, never at length though.

he always makes reference to Jim Kelly and his brother being the craziest guys he has ever met and how nuts they were at night running around.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3259549 said:
By MJD

It's called being humble.

newlander

Reaction score
Bruce Smith has had countless DUI's in recent years....kinda sad really. But if this whole theory was true then the Packer teams of the 60's wouldn't have won too much. Kramer and Co. were rabble rousers too.....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
As long as they weren't out Saturday night I don't see the big deal...there is no such thing as a 48 hour hangover

AbeBeta

Reaction score
when I first read that I thought the WG was the one positing the Levy orgy theory ... disapointed to see it not so

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Future;3259609 said:
As long as they weren't out Saturday night I don't see the big deal...there is no such thing as a 48 hour hangover

ummm, you are 21, aren't you. You get to veteran age and you'll find that partying hard can really mess you up for days after - especially if you have to deliver high level performances

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Irvin and Erik Williams said the Cowboys partied a lot too...

Perhaps the Bills and Cowboys partied equally hard, but the Cowboys were just the better team...or had better hangover medicine.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Future;3259609 said:

perhaps you assume they just go party for 2 weeks and then play a game.......its a normal work week for them and more...they still practice the same and have to fulfill NFL duties surrounding Super Bowl week...so if they were out partying instead of getting rest and studying for the biggest games of their lives I would be very disappointed in them if they were my team and they lost

igtmfo

Reaction score
newlander;3259599 said:
But if this whole theory was true then the Packer teams of the 60's wouldn't have won too much. Kramer and Co. were rabble rousers too.....

Bart Starr was reading a newspaper in the hotel lobby Super Bowl morning when Max McGee rolled in from the night before. Legendary story, as the old man McGee somehow managed to go off 7-138-2 TDs that day.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Partying or not - they got an NFC East *** woopin'.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3259613 said:
ummm, you are 21, aren't you. You get to veteran age and you'll find that partying hard can really mess you up for days after - especially if you have to deliver high level performances

Ain't that the truth.

Lance Armstrong even talked about it on his second to last Tour de France. He specifically mentioned that you have to implement your hydration strategy 3 days in advance. He meant that if you were coming up on the hard climb on the Alps 3 days from now, you had to be drinking your fluids for that climb today. Not tomorrow, not the day before, and not during it.

3 days in advance.

If you are out partying on Wednesday and Thursday, it will impact your performance even if you are the greatest bicyclist to ever wear the yellow jersey.

tunahelper

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3259549 said:
By MJD

I used to date a girl that worked at Rachel's (strip club) in Orlando. The manager and I were out one night on a double date and he told me that Jim Kelly was the craziest of them all. Some real wierd stories that are not fit for this forum.

He would consistently purchase party favors and hang with as many girls as he could (PG as I can make it). During Jim Kelly's playing days he had the reputation as a family guy and advocate for his handicap child.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I have heard similar stories from guys I know who played.

Also, the boys might have partied hard during the regular season but I doubt Jimmy let them stray off of the reservation during the playoffs and the super bowl.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
newlander;3259599 said:
Bruce Smith has had countless DUI's in recent years....kinda sad really. But if this whole theory was true then the Packer teams of the 60's wouldn't have won too much. Kramer and Co. were rabble rousers too.....

:laugh2: ..........rabble rousers................ :lmao: Haven't heard THAT in a long while.

I'm gonna have to 'rue' something today..................... :laugh2: