Yahoo: Darren Woodson: Bills lost Super Bowls due to excessive partying

rangers71

Reaction score
Future;3259609 said:
As long as they weren't out Saturday night I don't see the big deal...there is no such thing as a 48 hour hangover

Yet this board has a total meltown when Romo goes to Mexico on an off week.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3259558 said:
Darren's just repeating something he heard. He didn't witness it. It's just a 20 year old memory based on media reports.

In other words, not that reliable.

Actually, he isn't the only one to say it. They say Darryl Talley was the worst of the worst. There was even a rumor that he was so drunk that he got in a fight with Magic Johnson's bodyguard! :lmao:

Temo

Reaction score
tunahelper;3259697 said:
I used to date a girl that worked at Rachel's (strip club) in Orlando. The manager and I were out one night on a double date and he told me that Jim Kelly was the craziest of them all. Some real wierd stories that are not fit for this forum.

He would consistently purchase party favors and hang with as many girls as he could (PG as I can make it). During Jim Kelly's playing days he had the reputation as a family guy and advocate for his handicap child.

You might be thinking of Doug Flutie. Jim Kelly's son (who had an inherited physical disease) wasn't born until 1997, which had a big role in Kelly's decision to retire that year.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Both rosters were stacked, although I think the Cowboys' was slightly better. But the Bills were outcoached in both super-bowl games vs. Dallas. That's why Dallas outplayed them. And that counts; coaching is a HUGE part of the game's success.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Temo;3259799 said:
You might be thinking of Doug Flutie. Jim Kelly's son (who had an inherited physical disease) wasn't born until 1997, which had a big role in Kelly's decision to retire that year.

It was the late 90's when I was told of his escapades and he partied crazy as described his entire career. This guy was a long GM of these clubs.

I dont care really the story was in line with what Woodson claimed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3259613 said:
ummm, you are 21, aren't you. You get to veteran age and you'll find that partying hard can really mess you up for days after - especially if you have to deliver high level performances
Hah, yes I am 21...but it's not like the guys on the Bills were in their 40's....they were probably mostly mid to late 20's. And I doubt that they were so wasted it slowed them down for two days.

I agree that if it was all week it probably screwed with their practices a little bit, but when it comes down to it, the partying shouldn't have had much impact ont he game IMO. In the games against the Cowboys at least, they got physically dominated, it had nothing to do with them not playing up to potential.

Now Scott Norwood on the other hand...who knows :laugh2:

Primetime42

Reaction score
Wow. I'd always heard that the Cowboys were the ones who partied hard both SB's against Buffalo and that Buffalo was quiet and determined and ready to win.

The Cowboys were all out snorting drugs off the backs of strippers during the week. Didn't you know the Bills were all in bed by 10PM?

:rolleyes:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3259549 said:
1) I like to imagine that Marv Levy was the ringleader in all of this, hosting all-night orgies and making fun of rookie defensive backs who wanted to go to bed at 3:30 a.m.

:eek:

Levy: "Anyone seen my underwear?"

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Future;3259609 said:
As long as they weren't out Saturday night I don't see the big deal...there is no such thing as a 48 hour hangover

You must be young...

newlander

Reaction score
oh my...no such thing as a 48 hr. hangover? Guess again...I use to hit it so hard in college I wouldn't recover for days...then hit it again. Glad and thankful I didn't develop a real problem like some of my friends. Barely touch it now. Just an occasional beer or three. Rarely hit the hard stuff.

JBond

Reaction score
Future;3259609 said:

Not so sure about that. I had a couple in college. I have since learned the error of my ways.

JBond

Reaction score
rangers71;3259778 said:
Yet this board has a total meltown when Romo goes to Mexico on an off week.

Aint that the truth. It's not like he was doing lines of coke with his hooker girlfriend at the "white house". Time has a way of blurring reality.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wasn't Jim Kelly a notorious drunk? that explains everything when your on-the-field leader is a drunkard

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;3259783 said:
Actually, he isn't the only one to say it. They say Darryl Talley was the worst of the worst. There was even a rumor that he was so drunk that he got in a fight with Magic Johnson's bodyguard! :lmao:
yeah, that was mentioned in that book "Boys will be boys" by Jeff Pearlman

Future;3259842 said:
Hah, yes I am 21...but it's not like the guys on the Bills were in their 40's....they were probably mostly mid to late 20's. And I doubt that they were so wasted it slowed them down for two days.

I agree that if it was all week it probably screwed with their practices a little bit, but when it comes down to it, the partying shouldn't have had much impact ont he game IMO. In the games against the Cowboys at least, they got physically dominated, it had nothing to do with them not playing up to potential.

you realize these guys weren't just drinking a few beers when he says "partying" right?

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Yep, knew a girl who worked at a club called Mons Venus (yes a strip club) in Tampa and Jim Kelly and a lot of the players were their the night before they played the Giants. I don't know what time their curfew was (if there was one) but she said they were on a roll and if anybody knows that place....geez.

Years later I got to know Thurman Thomas and he confirmed that they went at it pretty hard.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DandyDon1722;3260458 said:
Years later I got to know Thurman Thomas and he confirmed that they went at it pretty hard.
That helps to partially explain the whole missing helmet incident.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Future;3259842 said:

Young 'un, there's a world of hurt difference between 21 and 27. WORLD of hurt difference. The crap you pull at 21 will put you down in bed for a solid day at age 30, if not get you hospitalized.