News: Yahoo: Mike McCarthy and other coaches on the hot seat already

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Not sure about this, after all, it's just another media head opinion. Remember how long 8-8 Garrett was on the hot seat for?!

Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
It's unfair to have McCarthy here after Dallas went 12-5 and won the NFC East last season. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is perhaps too patient with his coaches and has shot down every question about McCarthy's job security. But everyone knows former New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton is a favorite of Jones after stepping down from his Saints job. The Cowboys are already dealing with injuries and personnel losses over the offseason, and all anyone seems to remember about the 2021 Cowboys is how they lost in the wild-card playoff round.

Maybe all the speculation about McCarthy is irresponsible dot-connecting. Still, McCarthy might want to have a good season just in case.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nfl-p...oaches-on-the-hot-seat-already-123717979.html

Last edited by a moderator:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we're under .500 after 5 games he's toast . Not a moment too soon.
Fortunately for MM the bucs stink.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This seed was planted after the loss to the 49ers. We checked all the pregame boxes necessary for a W......solid defense, offense clicking, home field and more importantly we were healthy but penalties, penalties, penalties. The disturbing thing is they had been issues all season. So yea he's on the hot seat but I think we have to miss the playoffs for Jerry to fire him. In other words, I think he can save his job with one playoff win. Not that I agree but that's all it will take for one reason......two years left on his contract. Firing him not only means paying off his contract but all assistant coaches who are fired also. We all know Jerry DO NOT like paying off contracts before they expire. Hell, it's why Garret finished his final season as a lame-duck coach.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Keep in mind, MM was for his experience in the postseason. In other words, Garret's ceiling was a winning season and maybe a postseason appearance. Their expectations of MM are not only a playoff (which should be automatic) but a deep run. That's why the loss to the 49ers has left a scar.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Not sure about this, after all, it's just another media head opinion. Remember how long 8-8 Garrett was on the hot seat for?!

Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
It's unfair to have McCarthy here after Dallas went 12-5 and won the NFC East last season. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is perhaps too patient with his coaches and has shot down every question about McCarthy's job security. But everyone knows former New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton is a favorite of Jones after stepping down from his Saints job. The Cowboys are already dealing with injuries and personnel losses over the offseason, and all anyone seems to remember about the 2021 Cowboys is how they lost in the wild-card playoff round.

Maybe all the speculation about McCarthy is irresponsible dot-connecting. Still, McCarthy might want to have a good season just in case.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nfl-p...oaches-on-the-hot-seat-already-123717979.html
The media wants Dallas to lose the first two games so bad. They want them to lose because of a coaching error from MM so they can talk about it on their talk shows. Dallas has the best coaching staff in the NFC East, the best players quarterback/defensive player, the best offense and defense in the division. MM will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleD

Reaction score
Cowboys are a dumpster fire waiting to ignite. Big Mike will be matriculating to the Wisconsin Fat & Cheese farm at season end.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I disagree with Carrol not being on the list. I know will say he has no QB but that's his choice. He passed on an opportunity to trade for Garoppolo and Mayfield. In fact, I would argue the intent is to use the QB as a scapegoat for a poor season. I'm keeping an eye on this one coz it's the one job I think would attract Quinn.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I disagree with Carrol not being on the list. I know will say he has no QB but that's his choice. He passed on an opportunity to trade for Garoppolo and Mayfield. In fact, I would argue the intent is to use the QB as a scapegoat for a poor season. I'm keeping an eye on this one coz it's the one job I think would attract Quinn.

It seems Seattle is “tanking” for a QB. I’d say going 9-7 with Mayfield would be more damaging than getting a fresh start with a high draft pick next year. Carroll is old, though, and he might not be around to develop a rookie anyway. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I think McCarthy gets a lot of undeserved heat.

But I also don’t think McCarthy does a whole lot as a head coach
Couldn't have said it better myself. He's really somewhere in between all chairs. Not great, not bad, just... in the middle.

Oh wait, that fits the Cowboys perfectly. What was the word I'm looking for... oh yeah, irrelevant.

:flagwave::thumbdown:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It seems Seattle is “tanking” for a QB. I’d say going 9-7 with Mayfield would be more damaging than getting a fresh start with a high draft pick next year. Carroll is old, though, and he might not be around to develop a rookie anyway. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Or they may not want him around, he's 70.

Carson

Reaction score
Cowboys are a dumpster fire waiting to ignite. Big Mike will be matriculating to the Wisconsin Fat & Cheese farm at season end.
I don’t get that take.

12 win team from last year, at worst will be a wild card team. This isn’t the Giants. I don’t think they are talented to win a super bowl. But a 9-11 win team

fredp22

Reaction score
stories keep quoting 12-5 but MM was 6-5 in the last 11 games with an awful playoff loss while his sloppy play led the NFL in penalties.
MM is also 29-31 in his last 4 years (including last years 12-5) which fielded solid qbs Rodgers and Dak.
Hes on the hot seat. If he has a poor year and defense remains as strong as they looked in preseason Quinn will start to speak up as well as the Payton rumors

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we get at least 8 games into the season first.

What I want to know is how many fans want to lose so they can say they were right, and get a new coach, possibly. Rather than just winning instead.

BHendri5

Reaction score
No, everybody don’t know that Sean Payton is a favorite of Jerry Jones! I for one don’t believe that crap one bit, because if he was he would be the coach!!
I believe Jerry see the truth that there’s nothing different between Sean Payton and McCarthy, both are the same. Their resume is identical, each had a Hall of Fame QB, one SB win, winning percentage etc.
If and or when Jerry make a coaching Change I hope it’s not Sean Payton, there’s someone out there that’s better

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was ambivalent to this because I am neither hot nor cold about McC but after watching this man has had to endure and handling that pc after Booger openly starts hanging out with Payton, I do feel for how he's been treated.

I agree, he not only chose to dance with the devil but sold himself hard in that 12 hour interview so he knew what he was getting into because he and Garrett are friends and he clued him into the Joneses way of football.

I do not think there is any HC that could have any real effect on the culture of this franchise. There is always going to be this "you are not the boss of me" from the players because the Joneses have made it very clear who they work for and serve.

The Dallas Cowboys have a design flaw that is unlikely to get fixed even when Booger goes toes up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Anytime an owner steps up to announce that his head coach is a temporary employee, he does that man a serious disservice. Once a statement like that is uttered, all the denial in the world isn't enough to turn it around. Jerry Jones is an ignorant fool for choosing to do that. No HC, nor employee, deserves to be treated in such a cold manner. It's a curse for any organization to have a leader with such damaging inclinations. As an avid fan of the Cowboys, it saddens me to see such a situation occur. I feel badly for Mike McCarthy, regardless of what he may or may not be as a head coach. o_O

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think McCarthy gets a lot of undeserved heat.

But I also don’t think McCarthy does a whole lot as a head coach

Big Mike has issues.

his game/clock management is terrible.

His Nolan hire was a freak show. At least we got DQ after that. That’s all on big Mike.

the Philbin hire is starting to show just how bad it was. The OL depth, blocking schemes, and player development are major problems. someone was telling Stephen that we are good at OL.

And Jerry is 80 soon. His patience is thin.