News: Yahoo: Mike McCarthy and other coaches on the hot seat already

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What a load of crap! Fans apparently like to substitute what they think will happen for reality.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure about this, after all, it's just another media head opinion. Remember how long 8-8 Garrett was on the hot seat for?!

Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
It's unfair to have McCarthy here after Dallas went 12-5 and won the NFC East last season. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is perhaps too patient with his coaches and has shot down every question about McCarthy's job security. But everyone knows former New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton is a favorite of Jones after stepping down from his Saints job. The Cowboys are already dealing with injuries and personnel losses over the offseason, and all anyone seems to remember about the 2021 Cowboys is how they lost in the wild-card playoff round.

Maybe all the speculation about McCarthy is irresponsible dot-connecting. Still, McCarthy might want to have a good season just in case.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nfl-p...oaches-on-the-hot-seat-already-123717979.html
I actually like Mike he is in a tuff position, I just don't think any coach can succeed to their full potential with JJ looking over their shoulder, talking too much to the media and making decisions a GM shouldn't be making, hate to beat a dead horse but Jimmy hamstringed JJ as much as he could and was successful at it just enough to keep JJ at bay and JJ won't let that happen again. The best coach in the NFL could come here and that person won't be allowed the full reigns of operations by JJ, the idea being "if" we win another bowl while JJ is the owner there will be no question who will take the credit.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This seed was planted after the loss to the 49ers. We checked all the pregame boxes necessary for a W......solid defense, offense clicking, home field and more importantly we were healthy but penalties, penalties, penalties. The disturbing thing is they had been issues all season. So yea he's on the hot seat but I think we have to miss the playoffs for Jerry to fire him. In other words, I think he can save his job with one playoff win. Not that I agree but that's all it will take for one reason......two years left on his contract. Firing him not only means paying off his contract but all assistant coaches who are fired also. We all know Jerry DO NOT like paying off contracts before they expire. Hell, it's why Garret finished his final season as a lame-duck coach.
If that is true, then that is sad and jerry is like a scrooge, a misor and tightwad, who allows that to control his decisions.
When you have billions, firing a head coach, and paying him off a few million, is a drop in the ol bucket !

I would not hesitate to fire a HC, regardless of how many years left on his contract, if I felt I could get a better one at that time.
Poof! he would be gone, and new one in place. The money is meaningless in that scenario.

quickccc

Reaction score
This seed was planted after the loss to the 49ers. We checked all the pregame boxes necessary for a W......solid defense, offense clicking, home field and more importantly we were healthy but penalties, penalties, penalties. The disturbing thing is they had been issues all season. So yea he's on the hot seat but I think we have to miss the playoffs for Jerry to fire him. In other words, I think he can save his job with one playoff win. Not that I agree but that's all it will take for one reason......two years left on his contract. Firing him not only means paying off his contract but all assistant coaches who are fired also. We all know Jerry DO NOT like paying off contracts before they expire. Hell, it's why Garret finished his final season as a lame-duck coach.

i think the seed was planted , even before that Niners playoff game .. and despite a 12 win season.

- McCarthy brought his boys in per Mike Nolan and DL coach Jim Tomsula ... both were major disasters and major set backs alone,..
such as Nolan is in the Cowboys team record books as one of the worst DCs we've ever had ...

- If people were complaining about Marinelli and Kris Richard, welcome to the Nolan era
And keep in mind Cowboys were heavily depending upon that HC that could be a get over the top, but McCarthy's rookie year
ended up being major steps back ...

- And methinks if it was up to McCarthy, he would have brought Mike Nolan right back ..and methinks ( like a few media others i have heard too) management
not only forced the Nolan firing but they also made the search and recruit of new DC Dan Quinn into the fold. ..not McCarthy..

- With the lack of discipline on this team, most penalized team in NFL, the lack of physicality, i still don't get McCarthy's hand print and presence on this
team.. it seems so puppeteer, and paper clip board only HC.
- Not a presence on offense, Kellen is more to Dak than McCarthy, ....the defense is 100% Quinn..and i don't think Mac is a motivation figure

-But i also believe he has been handcuffed and bushwacked by management.
The Jones clearly want Kellen to be the offense controller ... with no input or help from the Mac. Despite what they may say in offseason, i think it is still
gonna remain during the season.

quickccc

Reaction score
All eyes on Sean Payton and Dan Quinn ... one of them will eventually the new HC of Dallas Cowboys .... :rolleyes:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
i think the seed was planted , even before that Niners playoff game .. and despite a 12 win season.

- McCarthy brought his boys in per Mike Nolan and DL coach Jim Tomsula ... both were major disasters and major set backs alone,..
such as Nolan is in the Cowboys team record books as one of the worst DCs we've ever had ...

- If people were complaining about Marinelli and Kris Richard, welcome to the Nolan era
And keep in mind Cowboys were heavily depending upon that HC that could be a get over the top, but McCarthy's rookie year
ended up being major steps back ...

- And methinks if it was up to McCarthy, he would have brought Mike Nolan right back ..and methinks ( like a few media others i have heard too) management
not only forced the Nolan firing but they also made the search and recruit of new DC Dan Quinn into the fold. ..not McCarthy..

- With the lack of discipline on this team, most penalized team in NFL, the lack of physicality, i still don't get McCarthy's hand print and presence on this
team.. it seems so puppeteer, and paper clip board only HC.
- Not a presence on offense, Kellen is more to Dak than McCarthy, ....the defense is 100% Quinn..and i don't think Mac is a motivation figure

-But i also believe he has been handcuffed and bushwacked by management.
The Jones clearly want Kellen to be the offense controller ... with no input or help from the Mac. Despite what they may say in offseason, i think it is still
gonna remain during the season.

Good stuff.

agree 100 percent.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If that is true, then that is sad and jerry is like a scrooge, a misor and tightwad, who allows that to control his decisions.
When you have billions, firing a head coach, and paying him off a few million, is a drop in the ol bucket !

What convinced me was 2019 when he refused to fire Garrett with one year left on his contract. Never mind we all knew the chances of Jason getting a new contract were slim to none but rather than eating the final year of his deal, Jerry brought him back as a lame-duck coach. But it's not just that, they rarely cut/release players before their contracts expire.

Creeper

Reaction score
If Jerry gives up 2 first round picks for Sean Payton he will just be throwing away more years for Dallas. It would be a dumb move. Not that I am a huge fan of Mike McCarthy but I just do not think Payton is a miracle worker. He still has to manage Jerry's team.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
stories keep quoting 12-5 but MM was 6-5 in the last 11 games with an awful playoff loss while his sloppy play led the NFL in penalties.
MM is also 29-31 in his last 4 years (including last years 12-5) which fielded solid qbs Rodgers and Dak.
Hes on the hot seat. If he has a poor year and defense remains as strong as they looked in preseason Quinn will start to speak up as well as the Payton rumors

If we have to give up any first rounds for Payton, it would be stupid.

So we should really start thinking about Quinn, not Payton. And I'm a big Payton fan.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
What a load of crap! Fans apparently like to substitute what they think will happen for reality.

I'm more amazed by fans who convince themselves that every year is a new team, ignoring the same FO of the last 27 years, and thinking this year will be different.

But maybe that's just me?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm more amazed by fans who convince themselves that every year is a new team, ignoring the same FO of the last 27 years, and thinking this year will be different.

But maybe that's just me?
So, are you proposing everyone stop being Cowboys fans? The Jones boys aren't going anywhere so that argument you just presented sounds like you are advocating for all Cowboys fans to find another team to root for. That's an odd thing to say on a Cowboys fan forum.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Can we get at least 8 games into the season first.

What I want to know is how many fans want to lose so they can say they were right, and get a new coach, possibly. Rather than just winning instead.

why not make a survey?

sorry i couldnt resist ;-)

bratch59

Reaction score
The media wants Dallas to lose the first two games so bad. They want them to lose because of a coaching error from MM so they can talk about it on their talk shows. Dallas has the best coaching staff in the NFC East, the best players quarterback/defensive player, the best offense and defense in the division. MM will be fine.
Exactly what my season prediction is. The Cowboys will have a rough year because the first time they lose to in a row the media will absolutely destroy them. Yes Jerry could say Sean Payton is not the next head coach, and they would move right on and say Dan Quinn or Kellen Moore is it. It will not stop

Kingofholland

Reaction score
McCarthy is definitely on the hot seat and his leash is much shorter than Jason Garrett's. McCarthy was hired because Jones was impressed with his coaching resume and thought he could offer a quick solution rather than waiting on a college coach or less experienced coach to figure things out. These are the hree scenarios I see for McCarthy and the Cowboys.

1) In line with the Taylor Swift connection theory McCarthy goes on to have a great year and takes the Cowboys further than they've been in a very long time. He keeps his job.

2) McCarthy has a solid season, but ultimate delivers the same results. He's fired and we have a new head coach in 2023.

3) It's a bad start for McCarthy, and he's fired around mid-season. Dan Quinn takes over and the Cowboys suddenly are playing inspired football. Dan Quinn is named head coach in 2023.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Big Mike wasn't even allowed to hire a proper OC .

Its Jerrah's plan all along to put KM as HC ., and give us another 10 year nightmare .

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The standards applied for McCarthy and Garrett are remarkably different. Why?