Yipes!!!Moss says Wayne addition would be a plus

dstew60105

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I've been hearing this Washington Cap stuff for a few years now, and it has yet to affect them signing whomever they want in free agency...clearly, someone is doing something right in that godforsaken city.

Washington's cap situation is always flexible because they don't hesitate to cut players with big numbers and replace them or renegotiate with a guy who has a huge cap number. This year alone they should free up quite a sum of money if they dump Arrington.

Who did they sign last year? Not one big name UFA. They don't have the room to sign and top flight FA.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
dstew60105 said:
Who did they sign last year? Not one big name UFA. They don't have the room to sign and top flight FA.
You watch...they'll make room for a WR...bank it. The best players on their team are all FA or trades, except for Samuels. Washington will sign a WR.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Every year we laugh about the Reskins's salary cap and every year they sign a major FA. If Wayne would like to play for them, they will get it done. I don't know I they do it, but they always do it.

Tagliabue.

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly we need to add Wayne to our WR set and USE him. Can't understand why so many people believe Glenn, Keyshawn & Crayton with Witten at TE can get us to the SB. We playing with danger if we don't have a quality WR (whether Wayne or player like him) playing should Glenn go down; losing Keyshawn w/o another quality WR to replace him won't get the job done for us either.

Our passing game was badly effected when Crayton went down. I'm just concerned Parcells will stay with the guys we have and at end of 06 season we will all be talking about what might have been if we had at least 1 more quality WR. Didn't watch Stephen Smith (we did contain him) in playoffs give Cowboys any ideas? Don't they remember what Moss can do to us? Do we really want to go against Hines Ware & Randal El, etc.

Know these are problems for our defense, but offense might have to match them on the field & we better be prepared until our running game is so dominant in 06 that we stand in awe of them. Does anybody believe latter will happen given our OL. And frankly how much will OL improve anyway. Seems many people still willing go with Adams/Allen/Johnson/Riveria but agreeable to new RT. Pettiti by himself not responsible for OL failed running game.

cfujskins

Reaction score
dstew60105 said:

We could have signed a big name FA if we wanted to. Hell, we offered Smoot a $10 mil bonus and we threw some dough at Pierce too. And do not forget that we had to sign TWO first round draft picks. All this while eating a $9 Million dollar cap hit for Coles and you're telling me that we couldn't have signed a big name last year if we wanted to? Please.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
cfujskins said:
We could have signed a big name FA if we wanted to. Hell, we offered Smoot a $10 mil bonus and we threw some dough at Pierce too. And do not forget that we had to sign TWO first round draft picks. All this while eating a $9 Million dollar cap hit for Coles and you're telling me that we couldn't have signed a big name last year if we wanted to? Please.
Didn't you guys want the DE from Cleveland pretty bad? He went to Denver, where he was offered more money.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Commanders | Moss says Wayne addition would be a plus
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:43:56 -0800

David Elfin and Ryan O'Halloran, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Commanders WR Santana Moss said it would be great for the team if they could acquire Indianapolis Colts WR Reggie Wayne, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. Wayne is considered the prize free agent at the receiver position entering the offseason.

all well and good, but they're going to be losing 1/3 of their roster this year cause of snyders spending habits.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
Bach said:
Washington will add a quality WR to start opposite Moss. That was one of their major flaws this year. Cap or no cap, I'm sure they'll restructure contracts and/or release some marginal players to get under the cap and still add some players.
It may or may not be Reggie Wayne, but I guarantee you they will add a solid starting WR this offseason.

Wonder how much they'll save when they get rid of Arrington?

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
cfujskins said:

David Patten and Casey Rabach were signed, as well as a new deal for Santana Moss.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
David Patten and Casey Rabach were signed, as well as a new deal for Santana Moss.
While losing Fred Smoot and Antonio Pierce.

RoyWilliams

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:

True, but they lost Pierce and he was a guy they really wanted to keep.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
RoyWilliams said:
True, but they lost Pierce and he was a guy they really wanted to keep.

Trust me the level of play at the MLB position really took a step backwards in the first half of the season. Definitely hampered the Commanders in a lot of key situations.

From what I understand they lost Pierce when then were less than 1M apart. Seems mind boggling. Marshall by mid-season had stepped his game up but the beginning was worrisome.

Fan21

Benched
Reaction score
Tio said:
While losing Fred Smoot and Antonio Pierce.

Didn't the Skins get better this year, though? I seem to remember a playoff win...

No worries about the Skins and the cap. We'll be well under with a couple of strong free agent pick-ups.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Did I see a picture of Jason Campbell with a sig line that says the future starts now? :laugh1:

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
Did I see a picture of Jason Campbell with a sig line that says the future starts now? :laugh1:

Speaking of sigs. I hope you have to change yours after this weekend.

Go Broncos!

aikemirv

Reaction score
Come on Commanders fans,

I know you had a good season and all and we credit you for that, but if you guys cannot admit that, while being 25 million over the cap, and continually , year after year, having to renegotiate deals and taking on all that dead money.

That you will not be going into cap hell, then you guys have to get agrip on reality here.

If you drop Arrington, that will in no way free up space but accelerate his signing bonus and create even more dead money.

Nobody has beaten the cap - it always eventually catches up to you - your only saving grace this year was Greg Williams and a fortunate situation with Santana Moss, who had done very little in previous years to show that he would perform like he did this year.

cfujskins

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Come on Commanders fans,

I know you had a good season and all and we credit you for that, but if you guys cannot admit that, while being 25 million over the cap, and continually , year after year, having to renegotiate deals and taking on all that dead money.

That you will not be going into cap hell, then you guys have to get agrip on reality here.

If you drop Arrington, that will in no way free up space but accelerate his signing bonus and create even more dead money.

Nobody has beaten the cap - it always eventually catches up to you - your only saving grace this year was Greg Williams and a fortunate situation with Santana Moss, who had done very little in previous years to show that he would perform like he did this year.

Right now, we are in the mist of the so-called "cap hell". This is the worst that is will probably get and we will STILL survive it pretty well. One of the reasons for this, as you already pointed out, is more production for less money as opposed to the other way around (the way we did in the past). This is the product of coaching, pure and simple.

Edit: here it is broken down: http://Commanders.scout.com/2/490049.html
The only way we would be in HUGE cap trouble is if there is no CBA by 3/1 because a team would find it rather difficult to convert salaries and roster bonuses to signing bonuses for proration because of the 30% rule. This would put many teams in a bind, not just us.

cfujskins

Reaction score
kingwhicker said:

Yes you did. Hey, I'm just glad that we have a coach who won't simply hand the starting position in 2006 to our aging 2005 starter by default. Open QB competition is great, isn't it guys?