Yipes!!!Moss says Wayne addition would be a plus

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
you will be outbid

What are you talking about ? I dont own or work for the Commanders their is no "you" for me. The Commanders are my favorite team, my only team, but they are not "my" team.

I am not on the Reggie Wayne bandwagon. I think he is a decent player, but only because of Harrison. I would prefer Koren Robinson personally. I think he will be cheaper and a better fit for the offense.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Reggie Wayne is the last impact player the Colts drafted on offense and that was 5 years ago. And maybe Dallas Clark.

Not to mention that Marvin Harrison recently signed a huge contract and Edge will be a UFA.

"And Maybe Dallas Clark"....?

They are not worried about losing Edge. They waited a long time before they put the franchise tag on his last year so that shows they were not exactly fearfull of losing him. It's clear Wayne is better than Harrison. Manning isn't an idiot. He is not going to let him leave.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
money talks and you know what walks

a team will offer Wayne more money than Manning will be able to coax the Colt brain-trust into offering him

That's what people were saying about the Colts when Manning was UFA

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
That's what people were saying about the Colts when Manning was UFA

did you see his contract? and besides, he was franchised before anyone could have a chance to sign him

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
did you see his contract? and besides, he was franchised before anyone could have a chance to sign him

He wasn't franchised any faster than any other key free agent. The Colts took care of business. Do you really think the Colts are going to keep an aging RB in Edge over a young receiver who has the potential to be the best receiver in the NFL.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
"And Maybe Dallas Clark"....?

They are not worried about losing Edge. They waited a long time before they put the franchise tag on his last year so that shows they were not exactly fearfull of losing him. It's clear Wayne is better than Harrison. Manning isn't an idiot. He is not going to let him leave.

Yes, MAYBE. Do you think Clark is better than Witten ? Better than Cooley ?
He is on the lower tier of impact players at his position in the NFL. So to me that equates to a maybe. I dont think he has ever caught for more than 500 yds.

They didnt wait to franchise him. He was made the franchise player in mid Feb. last year. They considered trading him and because teams thought they might be desperate no one bit. They still paid him over 8M this year and signed Manning, Harrison and someone else to new deals.

And Reggie Wayne is a solid player, but to call him better than Harrison is laughable.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Do you really think the Colts are going to keep an aging RB in Edge over a young receiver who has the potential to be the best receiver in the NFL.

in a word

yes

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
2. Releasing Players Outright
Matt Bowen SS – save $2.0m
John Hall K – save [body].8m
Walt Harris CB – save $2.0m
Cory Raymer C – save $1.0m

3. Trades
Patrick Ramsey QB – save $1.7m (and receive draft pick compensation)

4. Retirements
Brandon Noble DT – save $1.7m

5. Release and resign deals with veterans
James Thrash WR – cut and resign to vet minimum deal plus the $25k signing bonus – save [body].4m

6. Restructuring contracts
Randy Thomas G – basic restructure – save $2.2m
Jon Jansen OT – basic restructure – save $2.3m
Mark Brunell QB – basic restructure – save $2.4m

you are talking about releasing 3 starters and a guy who gets some playing time (bowen...why is he gettin 2 mil anyways hahaha) but somehow you wont have to decimate your depth chart. doesnt make sense to me...

and explain to me why these guys would want to restructure for less money. especially brunell who should have been in the pro bowl this year.

and whats with all the fuss about wayne anyways and saying that he is better than harrison??? you cant be serious
he is the beneficiary of playing w/ peyton edge and harrison...throw other WR like stokely in there as well. he just does not strike me as being good enough to be a #1 possession type guy to go w/ moss

honestly wash can have him brunell's dead arm wont get him the ball anyways

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
And Reggie Wayne is a solid player, but to call him better than Harrison is laughable.

yep, this guy seriously overrates Wayne, in fact, Wayne thanks his lucky stars everyday for being able to line up on the opposite side of Marvin, and see single coverage all day...

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Do you really think the Colts are going to keep an aging RB in Edge over a young receiver who has the potential to be the best receiver in the NFL.

How old do you think Edge is ? He is around 27. Geez.

And Wayne has a long way to go to be called the best in the NFL. A very long way.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Yes, MAYBE. Do you think Clark is better than Witten ? Better than Cooley ?
He is on the lower tier of impact players at his position in the NFL. So to me that equates to a maybe. I dont think he has ever caught for more than 500 yds.

They didnt wait to franchise him. He was made the franchise player in mid Feb. last year. They considered trading him and because teams thought they might be desperate no one bit. They still paid him over 8M this year and signed Manning, Harrison and someone else to new deals.

Everyone knows the Colts drafted Dallas Clark on the behest of Peyton Manning. In fact, the Colts management was heavily criticized for the move because it was seen as one perfomred to merely pacify Peyton Manning. To even use the word "Maybe" is ridiculous.

Reggie Wayne is 27. Marvin Harrison is 33. Harrison's numbers have fallen while Wayne's have improved. Harrison edged out Wayne this year stats-wise but Wayne played better than Harrison last season. I will let you figure out who is the greater asset in the near future.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Why would Wayne want to leave? Marvin Harrison isn't getting any younger and Wayne has already superceded him as the better receiver much like Torrie Holt did with Isaac Bruce in St. Louis. I would much rather be the primary receiving threat in a pass friendly offense with Peyton Manning throwing to me in a nice cushy dome 8 games a year versus going to Washington and having Mark Brunnell throw to me in bad weather.

And it's not even about money because Peyton Manning will make certain Reggie Wayne is taken care of. He is not going to let his best receiver walk.

Reggie Wayne is not a better WR than Harrison. Wayne looks as good as he does because of Harrison taking the double teams

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
How old do you think Edge is ? He is around 27. Geez.

So maybe I was imagining the fact that the Colts were trying to trade him last year with no takers?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
So maybe I was imagining the fact that the Colts were trying to trade him last year with no takers?

he couldnt be traded last year b/c there were no teams who could afford to get him that really needed him i think

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Everyone knows the Colts drafted Dallas Clark on the behest of Peyton Manning. In fact, the Colts management was heavily criticized for the move because it was seen as one perfomred to merely pacify Peyton Manning. To even use the word "Maybe" is ridiculous.

Reggie Wayne is 27. Marvin Harrison is 33. Harrison's numbers have fallen while Wayne's have improved. Harrison edged out Wayne this year stats-wise but Wayne played better than Harrison last season. I will let you figure out who is the great asset in the near future.

How many times do I have to explain "maybe"? I am not saying that Clark is a bum or he sucks, I am saying he is no where near being an elite TE. Either blocking or receiving. Whether or not the Colts decided to draft Clark to appease Manning is irrelevant. Manning doesnt pay the bills. His opinion is noted and the ones in charge do what they think is best for the team.

Seems to me that Wayne has taken a step back, instead of a step forward, if that is indeed the case.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Reggie Wayne is not a better WR than Harrison. Wayne looks as good as he does because of Harrison taking the double teams

Harrison is 33 and hit a wall after the 2002 season. He just hasn't been the same receiver since. He is still a top receiver but he has lost some speed and athleticism. Wayne, on the other hand, has improved. This is a Torrie Holt thing all over again. The younger receiver is going to supercede the older receiver.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Harrison is 33 and hit a wall after the 2002 season. He just hasn't been the same receiver since. He is still a top receiver but he has lost some speed and athleticism. Wayne, on the other hand, has improved. This is a Torrie Holt thing all over again. The younger receiver is going to supercede the older receiver.

maybe in a couple years, but you are saying he is already better which is not the case.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

There were takers, just not good enough for the value of a franchise player.

The guy was fully recovered from his injury and backed it up with a solid 2000+ yds in production.

The teams that wanted him were willing to give up a first from what I recall, but not that extra that would put them over the top. Lets not forget that Manning was coming off of an amazing campaign last year, which may have led to a little more confidence from the Colts front office.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Whether or not the Colts decided to draft Clark to appease Manning is irrelevant.

Do you even know what you are arguing about? I wil remind you of the point we were debating. The point of trying to appease Manning is the entire issue. The point is the Colts management listens to Manning. Manning wanted a TE and Dallas Clark in particular so they drafted Dallas Clark. Similarly, if Manning tells management, he wants Reggie Wayne, they are going to make it happen.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Do you even know what you are arguing about? I wil remind you of the point we were debating. The point of trying to appease Manning is the entire issue. The point is the Colts management listens to Manning. Manning wanted a TE and Dallas Clark in particular so they drafted Dallas Clark. Similarly, if Manning tells management, he wants Reggie Wayne, they are going to make it happen.

So you are honestly telling me that you expect the Colts to place a franchise tag on a #2 WR ? haha.

I would love to see that, over a top ten RB ? Not likely.