You Are The Coach. You Trust Your QB. What's Your Call?

What is your pre-play instruction based upon possible press coverage?

  • "Automatically throw the ball away"

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    50
  • This poll will close: .
I would like to think they would practice game scenarios,
Do you think the squad has enough intelligence to do that?
I know, Bill Belichick, spend as much time doing that, as game planning .
I'll always believe during training camp that Dak made that throw many, many times.
 
Brian Schottenheimer said he overcoached his quarterback and admitted his mistake (link). He said he trusts and acknowledges his quarterback, "...doesn't play the game that way (link)."

Obviously, Schottenheimer cautioned his quarterback not throw based on what he saw. Below is a split-screen. On the left is third-and-goal, from the five, right hash mark, fourth quarter, last Sunday. Pre-snap read: Nate Wiggins has press coverage on George Pickens. On the right is second-and-goal, from the five, right hash mark, first quarter, December 2024. Pre-snap read: DaRon Bland allows a 4-yard cushion on Ja'Marr Chase:

nb6HdgA.gif


How would you coach your quarterback before the down based on the pre-snap look?
Since you said " I'm the Head Coach" I'd go with option 4.......but if the scenario involves Shoddy the only answer can be "just throw the ball in the stands or something "
 
I despise Dak but our coach only has five braincells. Worst coach in the NFL.

I think the team should jump him practice!
 
This thread was made the day before DAL vs HST for the Texas State Championship and y'all still on last week? Move on people
 
Is that leadership on Dak's part? A leader needs to trust his own judgement and act accordingly. A Quarterback is the leader of the team.
There are many ways to be a leader. Going against your coach, the real leader, isn’t usually a good idea. But I wish he had.
 
Jerry can be very convincing.
How do you explain the masses buying into the SB BS every pre season?
It’s true, it’s actually a little bit sad, but true
Every year next year is our Super Bowl we made two trades
I’ve been watching this league for such a long time, you have to be blessed by the gods to win a Super Bowl
Or even be in one, just look at last season New England, they beat Denver in a snow game
Reminds me of another snow game against the Oakland Raiders that they probably shouldn’t have won
Blessed by the gods
 
I would like to think they would practice game scenarios,
Do you think the squad has enough intelligence to do that?
I know, Bill Belichick, spend as much time doing that, as game planning .
If Marty Schottenheimer's son does not train with basic football lessons like game scenarios, he should have never coached above the junior high level.
 
This thread was made the day before DAL vs HST for the Texas State Championship and y'all still on last week? Move on people
Or you could just get in on it, with some weird scenario, just like the rest of us
 
If Marty Schottenheimer's son does not train with basic football lessons like game scenarios, he should have never coached above the junior high level.
You know, another subject, can’t help it, I really wanted Kellen Moore. He’s a football genius. I don’t know why people didn’t like him.
 
You give Pickens a chance. You can trust him to battle for the ball and not allow an interception. That's Pickens' greatest strength.

Dak knows this. It's on him. Shotty is just covering.
On the biggest stage both of these guys "play and coach not to lose"

No killer instincts in either of these nice guys
 
If Marty Schottenheimer's son does not train with basic football lessons like game scenarios, he should have never coached above the junior high level.
You’re right, but can he teach it to his players is the question,
I backed coach, I was happy. He was the head coach, he looks lost out there. He’s not prepared. I don’t know what the issue is, but that was a high school decision, you are absolutely correct.
 
I think Jerra talked him into the job also. "Hey, uh...um..Shot....if I um...tell you what to do...um...will you coach the Cowboys for me? All you...um...need to do is...um listen into the headphone for my...um play call. You...um game?"

Shotty, "Yes, Sir, boss man"
your posts in this thread were pretty reasonable until this one. Jerry’s an idiot But come on.
 
You know, another subject, can’t help it, I really wanted Kellen Moore. He’s a football genius. I don’t know why people didn’t like him.
I was one of Kellen Moore's critics, but he has changed my mind since coaching in Dallas.
 
You just don't get it. You don't understand situational football. This isn't a game of Madden on Franchise Mode. You just don't get it. Its cool. How do you know Dak hasn't audibled to his own plays before? Im sure in 11 years, Dak has changed calls before.

Dak has been between a top 6 to 10 player his whole career. Quarterbacks in this league can only play that long at a high level by being smart and making intelligent decisions.

And you said would Aikman have listened to Schotty? Well he had to listen to Barry Switzer, so...
Situational football that created the situation the Ravens needed to win the game? A former player having said we should've went for it. Not enough time run off the clock.

Yeah saying this isn't madden is the go to blanket statement, where you can drop the mike on the floor and walk away. But coaches being too conservative is a thing. Dak having been called too conservative is a thing too, quite the opposite problem Romo had of being too much of a gambler.

I've ranked Dak about top 12. This is probably the wrong organization for him to ever be successful. Heck, the team we lost against, would've been a better fit for him.

Aikman had to take over duties from Barry that he didn't want to. Barry was never a play caller. You put Aikman in that exact same situation, he would of lasered it in to Pickens, because that is what leaders do.
 
Actually it is because you say throw it away immediately he did not throw it away immediately george Pickens was not open then he threw it away then George got open at the same time but probably would have got a flag so you think you covered it but you didn't because he did not throw it away automatically he chose not to hold onto the ball any longer to risk a sack to risk a tipped ball to risk an interception and most likely it's going to be a flag anyway so another moot point that you all are trying to create a narrative where you're putting a square peg in a round hole philosophy in hindsight doesn't work with me. in hindsight doesn't work with me


OK i'm done posting in here so you're OK I meant this particular thread I said what I need to say you all can carry on even if you want to make it ridiculous because there's nothing to really talk about it was not open immediately therefore he threw it away that's different than throwing it away without looking he looked george was covered George got uncovered too late by pushing off..

wait a minute I wasn't done but now I am. Wait a minute I wasn't done but now I am lol.. :laugh: :lmao: :popcorn::oldcouple:
Are you done or not? Lol
 
We see what level of football you played, when you think an NFL Quarterback is the same as a High School Quarterback. NFL Starting Quarterback can change the play, without getting in trouble. It is in fact expected for them to do so. Are you telling me that Dak is subpar or defective in some manner compare to other starting quarterbacks? We had another thread with a former player telling the story about how Romo got a gutless call from Jason Garrett and went to the huddle, and told them about the call but they were going to go for the win. That is an instance of leadership, especially if your play caller is incompetent.

To answer your question, I've played Pop Warner, high school and 2 years of semi-pro. No, ive never played in the NFL.

Let me ask you this though. If great quarterbacks like Elway, Montana, Mahomes, etc listen to their coaches instructions, why can't a very good quarterback like Dak listen to his?

Its obvious you're not watching Cowboys games because Dak has yelled "kill, kill, kill" on multiple occasions, that means he's audible before. Again, in sports, you play the high percentage situations, not always the riskier route.

All great quarterbacks don't just take the high risk roads. They do play smart and take the higher percentage angles. You wouldn't understand because its obvious where your mindset is.

Great coaches and great quarterbacks set themselves up for game tying fgs or TDs all the time, but you want to paint this pick as if Dak is the only quarterback who shouldn't have.

There's a reason why Dak is a successful NFL veteran quarterback at the highest level and you're not. You couldn't do what Dak does. So its a little odd questioning the moves of someone that you've never been or will ever be capable of doing.

A quarterback can't be a perennial top 6 to top 10 quarterback for 11 years without intelligence and the inability to take chances.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
476,063
Messages
14,660,422
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top