CFZ You can't always get what you want

blueblood70

Reaction score
That Ryan Leaf comment is true! Amazing

To be fair, I'm not sure Jeff George remotely belongs on that list with the Art Schelists, Akili Smiths, and Jamarcus Russells of the draft.
:laugh:
Now those guys were TRUE busts.

George wasn't Dan Marino like many hoped, but the man had > 27,600 passing yards, led the league in passing a year, was runner-up for Player of the Year, and had a long career

He entered the league in the same era as Aikman yet had a similar passer rating and almost as many passing yards as Troy (definitely not saying he was better) but got stuck on bad teams long term
most likely a 30-1 odd of bust over hits on finding qb even on Daks level let alone a rogers or brady elite type..

J12B

Reaction score
And so the Stones song goes and this has a very good application for the Cowboys and their QB and this is not another Dak Prescott thread, it is about all the other QB's they could have.

While I wasted time watching that Jags-Jets snorer last night, I was struck by something about the Jets and their situation at QB, that could be the Cowboys.

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Cook instead of Prescott.

But let's not stop with the busts at that 2nd pick. How about these 1st round QB picks: Andre Ware, Jeff George, Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, Art Schlichter, Josh Rosen, Todd Blackledge, Kelly Stouffer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel (could have had him) and Marcus Mariotta. Most of those QB's were slingers, right down the owner's sweet spot.

The QB pool every year is a swim at your own risk with the best QB scouts in the league. The Cowboys wanted Lynch and Cook, think about that while you want a different QB. While you are at it, think about how they got Romo and Prescott or this could be even worse.

Even the highly touted QB's like Allen, Herbert, Burrow and Mahomes need help. Rodgers is a pretty good example of that as well.

So, what's easier to do. Strike gold with a blue chip QB that can lift the team and how many are there really like that or get a QB in the top 1/3 and once you have him, build around him?

I get it with those that do not want Prescott as the DC QB but might want cancel out need? The NYJ are now faced with a real QB problem and the Cowboys are not. The NYG and WAS might also have QB problems because Damiel Jones was a 1st round pick and no way I'd take him over Prescott.

When I consider the brain trust of this team and the QB history, that is one position I do not want them picking out of need. Much rather have them picking any other positions.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have been great selecting OL talent in the first round. I'd like them to use that same energy / perspective to select a DT in the first couple rounds.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
I think it's obvious why he doesn't run more. That kind of injury is hard to forget. But I agree with good, not great. He doesn't suck, as I see here often, he's just not elite.

As I get older, I struggle with the younger generation taking a position and never moving. It's either great or terrible.......why?

What's wrong with good, not brilliant, very good, have we lost the ability to grade these days?

I'm with you Jake, I really like Dak. I've settled for him never being top 5 or whatever. I also question his consistency to run 3 or 4 games together to allow us to get to trophy no6. He is however far from garbage, I really do despair at people these days that peddle that rubbish.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think it's obvious why he doesn't run more. That kind of injury is hard to forget. But I agree with good, not great. He doesn't suck, as I see here often, he's just not elite.
Yeah but removing his legs from his game is just a killer.

I’m hoping that maybe they decide to allow more of that during the playoffs when teams aren’t expecting it.

Him as a pocket passer just isn’t good enough, and management either thinks it is….or desperately wants to force it, and that’s the big disconnect between what Jerry expects Moore to try to make him into, and reality.

Dak Prescott is fully capable of winning in this league if used correctly. I’m not so sure that’s currently the case.

DFWJC

Reaction score
most likely a 30-1 odd of bust over hits on finding qb even on Daks level let alone a rogers or brady elite type..
It's not a given, that's for sure.

Not sure exactly what you were saying about 30-1.
Are you saying 30-1 odds against finding a Dak in the first round?
I guess you look at the last 30 QBs picked in the 1st and figure that out real quickly. How many were as good as Dak.

Odds would be worse if you make the pick 20th or worse, but still 30-1 seems really high.
Then again, teams looking for a QB would trade up from in the 20s.

I may have misunderstood though...

817Gill

Reaction score
And so the Stones song goes and this has a very good application for the Cowboys and their QB and this is not another Dak Prescott thread, it is about all the other QB's they could have.

While I wasted time watching that Jags-Jets snorer last night, I was struck by something about the Jets and their situation at QB, that could be the Cowboys.

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Cook instead of Prescott.

But let's not stop with the busts at that 2nd pick. How about these 1st round QB picks: Andre Ware, Jeff George, Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, Art Schlichter, Josh Rosen, Todd Blackledge, Kelly Stouffer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel (could have had him) and Marcus Mariotta. Most of those QB's were slingers, right down the owner's sweet spot.

The QB pool every year is a swim at your own risk with the best QB scouts in the league. The Cowboys wanted Lynch and Cook, think about that while you want a different QB. While you are at it, think about how they got Romo and Prescott or this could be even worse.

Even the highly touted QB's like Allen, Herbert, Burrow and Mahomes need help. Rodgers is a pretty good example of that as well.

So, what's easier to do. Strike gold with a blue chip QB that can lift the team and how many are there really like that or get a QB in the top 1/3 and once you have him, build around him?

I get it with those that do not want Prescott as the DC QB but might want cancel out need? The NYJ are now faced with a real QB problem and the Cowboys are not. The NYG and WAS might also have QB problems because Damiel Jones was a 1st round pick and no way I'd take him over Prescott.

When I consider the brain trust of this team and the QB history, that is one position I do not want them picking out of need. Much rather have them picking any other positions.
Great post!

75boyz

Reaction score
I do not believe he possesses enough individual talent to carry the team when 1 or 2 personnel circumstances are not perfect.
And I believe he is paid as if he does possess that kinda talent.

Last edited:

RoboQB

Reaction score
I was at a game and was watching him warm up and he threw a rocket 60 yards in the air and that ball did not get over 15' off the ground.

Someone around the league was discussing Jeff George and said,
"Million dollar arm and a 10 cent brain."

vicjagger

Reaction score

I approve this Stones reference. Ty.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah but removing his legs from his game is just a killer.

I’m hoping that maybe they decide to allow more of that during the playoffs when teams aren’t expecting it.

This is my big hope. His legs… or at least the threat of them, opens things up for the entire offense. It is hell on a defense to add another runner to defend. I hated that crap when I played (safety).

If they could just do it a little more, it could make a big difference. Hopefully, that is something they’re saving for the post season, which is something that always gives teams an edge in the playoffs.

I certainly hope they are just holding that in reserve.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes sir. It’s a “be careful what you wish for” situation for so many of our fans who are frustrated with Dak. Certainly Dak has not been a great QB but he is just as certainly a good QB.

Good QBs are super hard to find. And great QBs are even exponentially harder to find. This is the primary reason almost all NFL QBs are way overpaid. And it’s a fundamental misunderstanding by way too many of our fans who constantly act as if paying Dak his big contract was some kind of cash theft by a complicit Jerry and a thieving Prescott.

Getting rid of Dak Prescott would certainly not put this organization in a better spot. Too many fans think great QBs grow on trees at college campuses across America and all you need is a high draft pick. The list of teams that have failed at that prospect is longer than I care to list. You can’t always get what you want is so right. Never more so than with NFL QBs.

817Gill

Reaction score
I do not believe he possesses enough individual talent to carry the team when 1 or 2 personnel circumstances are not perfect.
And I believe he is paid as if he does possess that kinda talent.
In theory, but the context is lacking. It’s not only those who are at the tip top of the game getting paid, it’s anyone in the top 12 or so. Those are the guys that can give a good roster a chance to win any given game. 5 or so can carry you, another 7 or so can play well enough that you don’t sink.

The price tag is so high due to supply and demand. Which is the whole point the OP is trying to drive home.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
George wasn't Dan Marino like many hoped, but the man had > 27,600 passing yards, led the league in passing a year, was runner-up for Player of the Year, and had a long career

Threw the prettiest ball I have seen........but man he was the definition of uncoachable

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Getting rid of Dak Prescott would certainly not put this organization in a better spot. Too many fans think great QBs grow on trees at college campuses across America and all you need is a high draft pick.

Honestly, I think many just want someone different ........talent be d___. Hell, look at the arguments over Cooper Rush winning 4 games

Hardline

Reaction score
You have to keep throwing darts at the dartboard until you hit a bullseye.

Dak wasn't a bullseye dart.

Keep drafting QBs until you finally hit that bullseye.

Until you find one don't give them second contracts. You should know what you have at QB before their rookie contract expires.

Last edited: