CFZ You can't always get what you want

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
And so the Stones song goes and this has a very good application for the Cowboys and their QB and this is not another Dak Prescott thread, it is about all the other QB's they could have.

While I wasted time watching that Jags-Jets snorer last night, I was struck by something about the Jets and their situation at QB, that could be the Cowboys.

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Cook instead of Prescott.

But let's not stop with the busts at that 2nd pick. How about these 1st round QB picks: Andre Ware, Jeff George, Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, Art Schlichter, Josh Rosen, Todd Blackledge, Kelly Stouffer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel (could have had him) and Marcus Mariotta. Most of those QB's were slingers, right down the owner's sweet spot.

The QB pool every year is a swim at your own risk with the best QB scouts in the league. The Cowboys wanted Lynch and Cook, think about that while you want a different QB. While you are at it, think about how they got Romo and Prescott or this could be even worse.

Even the highly touted QB's like Allen, Herbert, Burrow and Mahomes need help. Rodgers is a pretty good example of that as well.

So, what's easier to do. Strike gold with a blue chip QB that can lift the team and how many are there really like that or get a QB in the top 1/3 and once you have him, build around him?

I get it with those that do not want Prescott as the DC QB but might want cancel out need? The NYJ are now faced with a real QB problem and the Cowboys are not. The NYG and WAS might also have QB problems because Damiel Jones was a 1st round pick and no way I'd take him over Prescott.

When I consider the brain trust of this team and the QB history, that is one position I do not want them picking out of need. Much rather have them picking any other positions.
Yep, dak ain't elite, but he's good enough to make us competitive.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
You have to keep throwing darts at the dartboard until you hit a bullseye.

Dak wasn't a bullseye dart.

Keep drafting QBs until you finally hit that bullseye.

Until you find one don't give them second contracts. You should know what you have at QB before their rookie contract expires.
I think where Dak was drafted made him a bullseye Not many 4th round QB's do what he has

bewp7

Reaction score
well i think ur better off to draft a bust then some one like dak and giving them franchise money

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Getting rid of Dak Prescott would certainly not put this organization in a better spot.

Don't want to get into the whole "Dak is great/Dak is garbage" tit for tat, as it's clear that wasn't the point of your post

However I did want to address this particular statement because I think it's a bit of a reach on your part, all due respect

If you want to say that getting rid of Dak "probably" wouldn't put this organization in a better spot, that's a debate we can have

I understand that the odds of hitting on a top 3 QB with a 1st round draft pick aren't anywhere near 100% success. But I do disagree that going a different direction from Dak would "certainly not" put us in a better spot than Dak.

That's a statement that isn't provable. Yes you might miss on a draft pick. But you could certainly score too. I mean, Mahomes, Burrow, etc, they're rare but they are out there.

I don't feel settling for good enough is an acceptable strategy just because great is rare.

I understand you disagree and that's fine. But to me, I don't like the mindset of "stay with what you got because the next guy isn't guaranteed to be better and could be worse"

The chiefs had A Smith. He was " good enough " but they refused to settle. And ended up with a guy everybody salivates over because they didn't go with the safe play

Pretty damn good decision. Risky one. But greatness always involves some risk. I'd rather risk greatness and fail, than settle for what you have because of a lack of guarantee. You keep stretching for greatness, sooner or later you'll get it. And it will be worth it

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is my big hope. His legs… or at least the threat of them, opens things up for the entire offense. It is hell on a defense to add another runner to defend. I hated that crap when I played (safety).

If they could just do it a little more, it could make a big difference. Hopefully, that is something they’re saving for the post season, which is something that always gives teams an edge in the playoffs.

I certainly hope they are just holding that in reserve.
We are going to need something like that.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
And so the Stones song goes and this has a very good application for the Cowboys and their QB and this is not another Dak Prescott thread, it is about all the other QB's they could have.

While I wasted time watching that Jags-Jets snorer last night, I was struck by something about the Jets and their situation at QB, that could be the Cowboys.

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Cook instead of Prescott.

But let's not stop with the busts at that 2nd pick. How about these 1st round QB picks: Andre Ware, Jeff George, Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, Art Schlichter, Josh Rosen, Todd Blackledge, Kelly Stouffer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel (could have had him) and Marcus Mariotta. Most of those QB's were slingers, right down the owner's sweet spot.

The QB pool every year is a swim at your own risk with the best QB scouts in the league. The Cowboys wanted Lynch and Cook, think about that while you want a different QB. While you are at it, think about how they got Romo and Prescott or this could be even worse.

Even the highly touted QB's like Allen, Herbert, Burrow and Mahomes need help. Rodgers is a pretty good example of that as well.

So, what's easier to do. Strike gold with a blue chip QB that can lift the team and how many are there really like that or get a QB in the top 1/3 and once you have him, build around him?

I get it with those that do not want Prescott as the DC QB but might want cancel out need? The NYJ are now faced with a real QB problem and the Cowboys are not. The NYG and WAS might also have QB problems because Damiel Jones was a 1st round pick and no way I'd take him over Prescott.

When I consider the brain trust of this team and the QB history, that is one position I do not want them picking out of need. Much rather have them picking any other positions.

you have to accent the WAH-auuuuunt

"You can't ... always get ... what you WAH-auuuunt"
Three-chord note shuffle becomes a slow 2.
Know wha I mean?
Keep up tha good work, is what I say.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't want to get into the whole "Dak is great/Dak is garbage" tit for tat, as it's clear that wasn't the point of your post

However I did want to address this particular statement because I think it's a bit of a reach on your part, all due respect

If you want to say that getting rid of Dak "probably" wouldn't put this organization in a better spot, that's a debate we can have

I understand that the odds of hitting on a top 3 QB with a 1st round draft pick aren't anywhere near 100% success. But I do disagree that going a different direction from Dak would "certainly not" put us in a better spot than Dak.

That's a statement that isn't provable. Yes you might miss on a draft pick. But you could certainly score too. I mean, Mahomes, Burrow, etc, they're rare but they are out there.

I don't feel settling for good enough is an acceptable strategy just because great is rare.

I understand you disagree and that's fine. But to me, I don't like the mindset of "stay with what you got because the next guy isn't guaranteed to be better and could be worse"

The chiefs had A Smith. He was " good enough " but they refused to settle. And ended up with a guy everybody salivates over because they didn't go with the safe play

Pretty damn good decision. Risky one. But greatness always involves some risk. I'd rather risk greatness and fail, than settle for what you have because of a lack of guarantee. You keep stretching for greatness, sooner or later you'll get it. And it will be worth it
Hitting on a QB without a top five draft pick is even harder. How much would you be willing to sacrifice for the chance to move up and take a stab at one?

Instead of wasting our 2nd round pick on a project, we should take the best QB available and try to develop him over a couple of years.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

I don’t care if it’s Mahommes or anyone else. You still need an effective OL that can pass protect and playmakers who can get open and catch the ball, along with a good play caller and scheme that fits the personnel. There is no such thing as a QB who carries the team on his back other than Lamar Jackson, and even then the better defenses can shut him down, not to mention he’s breaking down because they have built the team around his running. We’ve seen Mahommes and the KC skill players fail when the OL was a mess, and we’ve seen Rodgers and the GB offense fail despite a great RB and good defense when the playmakers weren’t there.

Clearly an elite QB is better than any other tier (and I only see 3-4 elite QBs), but you’d better give that elite QB, no matter what he’s paid, an OL, playmakers, and decent defense.

When you don’t have an elite QB, Dallas, even an above avg QB (Dak in my opinion) needs either a perfect offense with OL, receivers, run game, TE, and hope to win shootouts, or you can be weak somewhere (not OL) but have an excellent defense.

The Cowboys futility continues, evidenced by the fact that Jerry started signing in-season free agents for defense and offense when he realized our great defense was a paper tiger.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Hitting on a QB without a top five draft pick is even harder. How much would you be willing to sacrifice for the chance to move up and take a stab at one?

Instead of wasting our 2nd round pick on a project, we should take the best QB available and try to develop him over a couple of years.

I'd be ok with your #2 strategy

To answer question #1, a true top 3-5 franchise QB is worth just about any price in today's NFL

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd be ok with your #2 strategy

To answer question #1, a true top 3-5 franchise QB is worth just about any price in today's NFL
Yes, if you already know he's a true top 3-5 QB. Therein lies the predicament.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I truly believe Prescott would be fine if we'd stop acting as if he's Mahomes. Run the dang ball and set up an O more conducive to his skillset.

Bingo... you dont have to be elite to win a Superbowl.......not all Superbowl winning QBs are a Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady......

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Yes, if you already know he's a true top 3-5 QB. Therein lies the predicament.

Agreed. I just go back to my earlier statement

There's always risk. IMHO the reward outweighs the risk. I understand others feel differently. All good. Merry Christmas brother