CFZ You can't always get what you want

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hitting on a QB without a top five draft pick is even harder. How much would you be willing to sacrifice for the chance to move up and take a stab at one?

Instead of wasting our 2nd round pick on a project, we should take the best QB available and try to develop him over a couple of years.
I believe in drafting QBs often. In various rounds.

Flamma

Reaction score
And so the Stones song goes and this has a very good application for the Cowboys and their QB and this is not another Dak Prescott thread, it is about all the other QB's they could have.

While I wasted time watching that Jags-Jets snorer last night, I was struck by something about the Jets and their situation at QB, that could be the Cowboys.

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Cook instead of Prescott.

But let's not stop with the busts at that 2nd pick. How about these 1st round QB picks: Andre Ware, Jeff George, Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, Art Schlichter, Josh Rosen, Todd Blackledge, Kelly Stouffer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel (could have had him) and Marcus Mariotta. Most of those QB's were slingers, right down the owner's sweet spot.

The QB pool every year is a swim at your own risk with the best QB scouts in the league. The Cowboys wanted Lynch and Cook, think about that while you want a different QB. While you are at it, think about how they got Romo and Prescott or this could be even worse.

Even the highly touted QB's like Allen, Herbert, Burrow and Mahomes need help. Rodgers is a pretty good example of that as well.

So, what's easier to do. Strike gold with a blue chip QB that can lift the team and how many are there really like that or get a QB in the top 1/3 and once you have him, build around him?

I get it with those that do not want Prescott as the DC QB but might want cancel out need? The NYJ are now faced with a real QB problem and the Cowboys are not. The NYG and WAS might also have QB problems because Damiel Jones was a 1st round pick and no way I'd take him over Prescott.

When I consider the brain trust of this team and the QB history, that is one position I do not want them picking out of need. Much rather have them picking any other positions.

It's really tough finding a QB in the draft. A needle in a haystack finding an elite level QB. I think fans start to resent their QB when they're being paid the same as the elites. Cap space gobblers and not as much to show for it.

I agree with you, no way would I prefer Daniel Jones. But the Giants have a problem. Jones is going to want 40M a year. Will he take 20M a year for 3 years? Probably not. Most QBs coming off their rookie contract will have their prove it year elsewhere. Forcing the team that drafted them to make that take it or leave it decision.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I just want one more win or a playoff win. Otherwise I can't consider this a "good season". Of course im hoping for more but if this doesn't even go down as a good season in my book that's sad. Lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
Can’t we all just settle on the following….?

Dak Prescott is a very good but not great QB who needs to be used correctly to have success.

He needs to run himself more often, and not be featured as a passer.

I have a tough time blaming Dak himself over the team for not recognizing his strengths and weaknesses better. He isn’t some top end pocket passer. His lack of ability (or desire) to run more just kills his game.
W/ his lack of speed, running is most likely not the answer. Of course, neither is throwing everything 40 yards downfield!!!!!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just want one more win or a playoff win. Otherwise I can't consider this a "good season". Of course im hoping for more but if this doesn't even go down as a good season in my book that's sad. Lol.
After Rush won so many games, it seemed like anything more would be a bonus that we'd all be happy with, but the lackluster way the team has played recently takes some of the shine off those wins.

nobody

Reaction score
Dak's a good QB and has his flaws. There are better out there but getting one is the problem like it was stated. The biggest problem is the Dak/Moore tandem. Moore refuses to play to the offense's strength, including Dak's and would rather try to force a square peg into a round whole and make him something he's not.

Get rid of Moore and put in an OC that is 1) going to play to Dak's strengths, and 2) Challenge Dak to learn and adapt rather than just keep him comfortable with what he knows. If that happens, I think we'd see a more consistently good Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Coach is so right . We have lucked out .

But unfortunately our situation is more complicated because our ownership over paid and has hyped him to be Elite .

And KSBoys accurately said we need to stop treating him like he’s Mahommes. Run the ball and build accordingly with defense .

But we won’t cause Jethro has to prove his hype is right. And that’s why we are screwed. And it’s made Dak an easy target.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak's a good QB and has his flaws. There are better out there but getting one is the problem like it was stated. The biggest problem is the Dak/Moore tandem. Moore refuses to play to the offense's strength, including Dak's and would rather try to force a square peg into a round whole and make him something he's not.

Get rid of Moore and put in an OC that is 1) going to play to Dak's strengths, and 2) Challenge Dak to learn and adapt rather than just keep him comfortable with what he knows. If that happens, I think we'd see a more consistently good Dak.
Excellent post.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

#2 would seem to contradict #1.

Hardline

Reaction score
That’s fine, but that doesn’t actually compare talent level to when the player was drafted.

Aka - is Trent Dilfer better than Dak?
It shows your odds go way up with a 1st round QB.
If the Cowboys ever get a great defense like Trent Dilfer had Dak just might win a Super Bowl.

Shane612

Reaction score
Has Dak shown enough to deserve another 4 years mega-contract when the current one expires, whenever that is?
I think how the Jones family handles his next contract will be very telling of how they really feel about Dak's ability to win a championship.
Then again it's Jerry and Stephan, so who knows.

nobody

Reaction score
#2 would seem to contradict #1.

Not necessarily. I think Dak would excel in the West Coast Offense but feel he's resistant to making the change. That's the reason given for keeping Moore and having McCarthy be hands off with the offense....to keep what Dak knows and is comfortable with. However it's not Dak's real strength as evidenced by how the team does in the playoffs and against good defenses.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And so the Stones song goes and this has a very good application for the Cowboys and their QB and this is not another Dak Prescott thread, it is about all the other QB's they could have.

While I wasted time watching that Jags-Jets snorer last night, I was struck by something about the Jets and their situation at QB, that could be the Cowboys.

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Cook instead of Prescott.

But let's not stop with the busts at that 2nd pick. How about these 1st round QB picks: Andre Ware, Jeff George, Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, Art Schlichter, Josh Rosen, Todd Blackledge, Kelly Stouffer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel (could have had him) and Marcus Mariotta. Most of those QB's were slingers, right down the owner's sweet spot.

The QB pool every year is a swim at your own risk with the best QB scouts in the league. The Cowboys wanted Lynch and Cook, think about that while you want a different QB. While you are at it, think about how they got Romo and Prescott or this could be even worse.

Even the highly touted QB's like Allen, Herbert, Burrow and Mahomes need help. Rodgers is a pretty good example of that as well.

So, what's easier to do. Strike gold with a blue chip QB that can lift the team and how many are there really like that or get a QB in the top 1/3 and once you have him, build around him?

I get it with those that do not want Prescott as the DC QB but might want cancel out need? The NYJ are now faced with a real QB problem and the Cowboys are not. The NYG and WAS might also have QB problems because Damiel Jones was a 1st round pick and no way I'd take him over Prescott.

When I consider the brain trust of this team and the QB history, that is one position I do not want them picking out of need. Much rather have them picking any other positions.

I'm a big believer that there is much more QB talent than NFL starting spots.
I'd just keep on drafting and churn. QBs cost 20% of salary cap now. Go cheap and improve the rest of your team.

Dak could have easily been a career backup but for Romo going down. I suspect there are a lot of Daks out there who only need a chance to start. The ones who can run give you and extra dimension that teams don't like to risk on $40million dollar salaries.

Blackrain

Reaction score

To continue on that Stones song theme You can't always get what you want BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED!!

And that is the truth Dak may not be what everybody wants but he is all that we need if everyone else does their job.

We may want a guy who can elevate the team past all the penalties ,stupid plays, receivers that tip the ball to defenders and the whole gamut of other turnovers that happen.
We may want a guy that can overcome the dysfunction of this franchise the limited coaching skill improper time management and total lack of discipline and consistency.

But we get what we need A guy who every year works on improving his craft and if everybody else does their job at least 80% he can do his best work.

It may be what we want but good luck ever drafting a guy that can overcome all the dysfunction and problems associated with a team owned and constructed by Jerry Jones.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I would love to see what real offensive coaches could do with Prescott. Bet the San Fran coach would take him in a heartbeat . Prescott has had 1 terrible OC and 2 fraud head coaches…and average defences throughout his career…

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Do we think Turner wasn't tempted to light it up with the most accurate QB of his time and that receiving corps? They still hit 55% in run calls every season.

However, in all fairness, we do not know what Moore's marching orders are with Prescott. Turner wasn't under a mandate to make Aikman a star.

I think when Booger relented and gave Prescott that contract, Moore got the job of proving that he was worth it. There is way too much owner ego tied up with this team to think it runs like other teams. Most owners are "just win, baby" but not this one. He needs for it to directly reflect on his football acumen. This is the only team in the NFL where the owner is the face and voice of the franchise.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look at this chart of where every Super Bowl QB was drafted.
There are exceptions to the rule but count the number of first round QBs that played in the Super Bowl .

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/superbowl_quarterbacks/
Very interesting but what would make that even more revealing is where their run games and defenses ranked.

Bradshaw got 4 and the HOF, does that happen without Franco Harris and the Steel Curtain?

No hotshot QB, and Elway proved that prior to Shanahan and Marino every season, can carry a team. Back in the day, you didn't need the records to see which teams made the playoffs, just check their pass rankings.

kskboys

Reaction score
It shows your odds go way up with a 1st round QB.
If the Cowboys ever get a great defense like Trent Dilfer had Dak just might win a Super Bowl.
Of course, but not because they were a 1st round QB. Your odds don't go up w/ a 1st round QB, they go up w/ a good QB. Most good QBs are taken in the 1st due to the extreme positional value, so there are very few secrets about QBs coming into the draft. So, if a QB has any potential at all, he'll most likely go in the 1st, sometimes in the 2nd.

Being good has nothing to do w/ the round taken.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would love to see what real offensive coaches could do with Prescott. Bet the San Fran coach would take him in a heartbeat . Prescott has had 1 terrible OC and 2 fraud head coaches…and average defences throughout his career…
Yup. Need to make Prescott into Eli Manning. That's how you win super bowls. Use him correctly and build a good D and running game. Eli wouldn't have won squat w/o a great D.