You cant draft QBs narrative

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Sewell. They have a ton of picks already.

I still think Zach Wilson is the 2nd QB taken. He's just a more advanced passer right now than Fields and just as athletic.

If they trade back it will be Miami and Cincy trying to get Sewell.

Plus, look at all the OSU Qbs who've played in the Urban Meyer/Day system. ...... Braxton Miller, JT Barret, Terrell Pryor, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins........ I'm not sure this list bodes well for Justin Fields. There is little debate that Fields is the best pro prospect OSU has ever had.......but its a pretty bad list in regard to translating success to the NFL. It will be interesting to see how teams evaluate him.

conner01

Reaction score
they claim he wasn't was an injury at first and used fitz as spark but they claim tua was never going to lose his starting position LL im just saying what was his actual record as starter not the team record but when he started a game?im betting not as good as the OP wants to claim..he will be fine developing etc ..
To me I don’t question Tua’s talent, work ethic and such
I loved the kid in college
I do question his durability

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's too early to write anyone off, but not really sure I'm feeling that, or at least willing to pay what they would want.

He didn't trust any receivers for entire games. Someone was NFL open? Check down. Non stop. If people thought Dak was too conservative in pushing the ball early in his career, Tua made Dak look like Favre.

He was still injured to start TC and he was a rook, but for a guy that was to be the #1 overall pick in 2020 back in 2019 he looked like a rookie that needs shelter.

Now Chan Gailey did call a conservative gameplan, but he had to with the way Tua was at QB. It was night and day watching Fitz vs Tua. Same talent on the field, but Fitz would actuall attempt to stretch the field. He did throw more picks, but he also allowed the offense to not be predictable.

I think they will stick with him so this is all moot, but for all the hype Tua got, that was a letdown watching him play and not really progress as the season went on

I'm a big Tua guy.. He may turn out horrible but he's a guy i'll gamble on all day.

I'd like to know what they want.

If they would trade Dak for Tua straight up I think I do it and it makes sense for both teams.

They have a lot of picks and are ready to win now.

Trading Dak would open up a Window for us and give us major cap relief to build this franchise back up instead of locking us into mediocrity for the near future.

We're a team trending down.. Defense needs a lot of work.. Oline fading fast.. Resources spent on WR's and RB's.. Just a poorly built team..

Dolphins have a lot of picks, a great defense, a heck of a coach, and they are trending up.

Our advantage though is we play in a trash division. They have the Bills and eventually the Patriots again to deal with.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It tough, cause to me Flores has shown he won't play a guy just cause he was a favorite of the GM or they trade for him (Rosen for example).

Fitzpatrick had a rough start, and the last game he started he would of blown the Jets game with his ill thrown picks if they were playing anyone but the Jets.

Then again, maybe Ross stuck his nose into operations to see how their new QB prospect would play, and/or they wanted to see if he had it cause they have 4 picks in the top 2 rounds.

There was a large amount of fans after month 1 that were done with Fitz and wanted Tua to get a taste of the NFL, and some had unrealistic ideas of how he would fare.

I think they may have played him knowing they had Houston's pick in the draft. But I don't think it was smart or in Tua's best interest.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Plus, look at all the OSU Qbs who've played in the Urban Meyer/Day system. ...... Braxton Miller, JT Barret, Terrell Pryor, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins........ I'm not sure this list bodes well for Justin Fields. There is little debate that Fields is the best pro prospect OSU has ever had.......but its a pretty bad list in regard to translating success to the NFL. It will be interesting to see how teams evaluate him.

I've never been the type to disqualify someone because of the school they played at.

When I was in my teens all I heard was you can draft Penn State runners.. Then Larry Johnson happened, and now Miles Sanders and Saquon.

Just judge guys individually and don't judge them because of their school and even their competition. Judge the individual player.

Fields can run.. He can throw a good deep ball.. And he can check it down.. He just needs to learn the intermediate game and get better at throwing guys open and reading the entire defense and not just locking on his primary guy.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That may very well be true
If Tua can stay healthy he can play
I wouldn’t have drafted him due to injury concerns but he has talent
He will be a good one, injury concerns are an issue for all that play this game, and while you cant disregard that element, you can provide adequate measures to protect your investment, smart FOs know this build model,, so maybe its a little more difficult here in Big D... :banghead:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
patience? Kyler has been electric lol
He is the human joy stick, when I see Murray run with ball it is almost perfection in life.
When you can do something so perfect that its perfection,, thats how Murray runs,, just smooth is all I can say.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm a big Tua guy.. He may turn out horrible but he's a guy i'll gamble on all day.

I'd like to know what they want.

If they would trade Dak for Tua straight up I think I do it and it makes sense for both teams.

They have a lot of picks and are ready to win now.

Trading Dak would open up a Window for us and give us major cap relief to build this franchise back up instead of locking us into mediocrity for the near future.

We're a team trending down.. Defense needs a lot of work.. Oline fading fast.. Resources spent on WR's and RB's.. Just a poorly built team..

Dolphins have a lot of picks, a great defense, a heck of a coach, and they are trending up.

Our advantage though is we play in a trash division. They have the Bills and eventually the Patriots again to deal with.

You don't see how foolish that is? You want to trade for a QB that showed EXTREMELY little as a rookie for Prescott who as a rookie had already started setting NFL passing records and then in future years turn the Cowboys into the top rated offense in the league and also setting more NFL passing records. I thank God you have nothing to do with the Cowboys.

conner01

Reaction score
He is the human joy stick, when I see Murray run with ball it is almost perfection in life.
When you can do something so perfect that its perfection,, thats how Murray runs,, just smooth is all I can say.
That’s exactly who I think of when I see him run lol
Hall

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You don't see how foolish that is? You want to trade for a QB that showed EXTREMELY little as a rookie for Prescott who as a rookie had already started setting NFL passing records and then in future years turn the Cowboys into the top rated offense in the league and also setting more NFL passing records. I thank God you have nothing to do with the Cowboys.
a bit harsh
While what CATCH may be suggesting is quite far fetched,, I understand where he is going, what he is suggesting.
Who wouldnt trade out a vet vs rook contract..
Is this business, or is this personal ?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We get frequently told on CZ that you cant draft QBs in the first round - they more than likely bust. The following 3 x early drafted QBs have got a lot of stick on CZ and labelled as jags who are not as good as Dak by many. Lets look at the outcome of this season:

Mayfield - in playoffs.
Allen - in playoffs.
Goff - in playoffs.

3 x QBs who were drafted early in 2020 got significant game time.

Tua - better record than Cowboys.
Herbert - better record than Cowboys.
Burrows - got injured.

How many other playoff QBs are first rounders?

Is this narrative dead?
we drafted Dak and we went to playoffs 2 years...but then I hear the argument that he didn't go deep into the playoffs... so Allen is in his first year in the playoffs....Mayfield is in his first year in the playoffs...etc......so don't count your chickens yet.

and Tua doesn't have a better record than cowboys...The Dolphins have a better record. they have the 6th best scoring defense, compared to cowbys 28th ranked scoring defense.
Rams have the top defense and the #1 scoring defense....average of 18.5 pts per game

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
a bit harsh
While what CATCH may be suggesting is quite far fetched,, I understand where he is going, what he is suggesting.
Who wouldnt trade out a vet vs rook contract..
Is this business, or is this personal ?

I'm not sure what you're talking about with "catch", but to answer your question it's about making smart football decisions and not trading away a proven QB for one that may in time might be as good as the one you just traded away. In case you haven't heard this, the QB position is regarded by many in the sporting world as the most important position in all of sports and it makes little sense to trade away a QB that is a NFL passing record setting QB.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I've never been the type to disqualify someone because of the school they played at.

When I was in my teens all I heard was you can draft Penn State runners.. Then Larry Johnson happened, and now Miles Sanders and Saquon.

Just judge guys individually and don't judge them because of their school and even their competition. Judge the individual player.

Fields can run.. He can throw a good deep ball.. And he can check it down.. He just needs to learn the intermediate game and get better at throwing guys open and reading the entire defense and not just locking on his primary guy.

I agree with this.

Remember it used to be. “Don’t draft Jeff Tedford QB’s”

Then Rodgers happened....

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're talking about with "catch", but to answer your question it's about making smart football decisions and not trading away a proven QB for one that may in time might be as good as the one you just traded away. In case you haven't heard this, the QB position is regarded by many in the sporting world as the most important position in all of sports and it makes little sense to trade away a QB that is a NFL passing record setting QB.
Its highly opinion based from fan perspective, I get that, and I can still hear a little bit, but not that great anymore..lol standing next to 737s for 35 years does that to your ears.
QB position is absolutely regarded as one of the most important positions,, LT could be argued.
Its not an argument, its basic,, cant protect your most valuable asset if other assets on a strict salary cap are wasted.
Why is this hard to understand?

Vandyr

Reaction score
We get frequently told on CZ that you cant draft QBs in the first round - they more than likely bust. The following 3 x early drafted QBs have got a lot of stick on CZ and labelled as jags who are not as good as Dak by many. Lets look at the outcome of this season:

Mayfield - in playoffs.
Allen - in playoffs.
Goff - in playoffs.

3 x QBs who were drafted early in 2020 got significant game time.

Tua - better record than Cowboys.
Herbert - better record than Cowboys.
Burrows - got injured.

How many other playoff QBs are first rounders?

Is this narrative dead?

I'd take Mayfield and Allen over Dak in a heartbeat. Goff is just Dak on a better team.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Its highly opinion based from fan perspective, I get that, and I can still hear a little bit, but not that great anymore..lol standing next to 737s for 35 years does that to your ears.
QB position is absolutely regarded as one of the most important positions,, LT could be argued.
Its not an argument, its basic,, cant protect your most valuable asset if other assets on a strict salary cap are wasted.
Why is this hard to understand?

You still didn't explain what "catch" was. So you're saying that with the 25 mil the Cowboys will have as carryover money to help offset Prescott's contract next year that the 10-12 mil off next year's actual cap is going to be so crippling that no other players or free agents can't be signed or there won't be enough cap to sign draft pick that could possibly be a LT?

BTW I have a cousin who's husband works on the flight line and has for 20 years and even though he wears a noise reducing headphone his hearing is getting worse too.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You still didn't explain what "catch" was. So you're saying that with the 25 mil the Cowboys will have as carryover money to help offset Prescott's contract next year that the 10-12 mil off next year's actual cap is going to be so crippling that no other players or free agents can't be signed or there won't be enough cap to sign draft pick that could possibly be a LT?

BTW I have a cousin who's husband works on the flight line and has for 20 years and even though he wears a noise reducing headphone his hearing is getting worse too.
What Catch was?
Really?
Catch17... you responded to his post...:rolleyes:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Seems like the teams that drafted these guys weren't very good teams (obviously), but what's interesting are teams that drafted QBs early that didn't pan out - over and over. Like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Tampa, Arizona and Detroit.

There's a reason why there is just a handful of top tier QB's at any time because there's a huge difference between college ball where most of the players never make it to NFL teams and the NFL. That's why many teams have to keep looking for "that QB".

Reactions: G2