You don't sign the guy that's 2-5 in the playoffs to 60 mill a year

ArtClink

Reaction score
Actually there's a significant difference in their regular season records.. Romo orchestrated the back to back to back 8-8 seasons while Dak has orchestrated back to back to back 12-5 seasons. I still say Romo's 2014 season was a little better than Dak's best season (2023?) but Romo had an 1800 yard rusher, a hall of fame tight end and Dez to lean on while playing behind the best line in football.. while Dak had.. well.. you know.. There is no debating that Dak's degree of difficulty has been a little higher. I'm fine if the Cowboys want to move on from Dak.. They just better have something better or at least equivalent in the pipeline. I don't want to see us stuck like were trying to replace Troy.. or Irvin, or Emmitt or even Ware, Dez and Zeke. This franchise has moved on from players with no viable option in place more times than we can count.
Sir you make some excellent points about the two QBs. Dak has owned the NFC East his entire career. I don’t think a lot of fans understand how lucky we were getting this much from a 4th round pick that seemed to be an afterthought.

I’m just amazed how much Romo was embraced in Jerry overvaluing and overpaying Romo vs the total lack of respect for Dan by this fanbase.

I don’t think there has ever been a strategy by the Jones cartel other than “hope”.

I’m hoping Dak moves on from this dysfunctional, very flawed franchise and go to a contender w a real head coach w the power to hire and fire. This franchise is a joke.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Regardless of what you like or don't like let's at least deal in facts:

Lamar Jackson makes 52M AAV to be 2-4 in the playoffs.
Justin Herbert makes 52.5M AAV to be 0-1 in the playoffs and unable to even make it more than once in his 4-year career.
Kyler Murray makes 46.1 AAV to be 0-1 and also only being able to even make the playoffs once.

So reality is, yes someone will pay 60M AAV to a QB for making the playoffs regularly but losing once they get there.
A single playoff game makes an NFL owner about 15M on average.
Dallas would obviously be at the very high end of that spectrum.
A Super Bowl winning owner gets 30M from the NFL and a 20-30% value boost for your team/brand.
These numbers are insane.
So is 60M but it isn't in the Billions with a B.
Jerry's team value earned would be.
The Cowboys are worth 7.64 Billion.
If they win a Super Bowl and got the low end of that boost.
Stephen could sell the team for 9.1 Billion!!!

ArtClink

Reaction score
Romo threw two picks total in all of the playoff games, one on a desperation heave on the last play of the game in his first full year of starting. Outside of the Minnesota game where he was running for his life due to a sieve of an offensive line and the defense failing, all of the playoff games that were lost came down to the wire. It’s a superficial comparison to say the records are the same, therefore the QBs are the same.

two wrongs make a right ?
Ultimately, we couldn’t win w Romo and we can’t win w Dak so IMO it really doesn’t matter who the QB is since the fuhrer is incapable of building a deep playoff run team on both sides of the ball. I think the past 28 seasons provide almost three decades of evidence.

ArtClink

Reaction score
34, 30, 41. What are those numbers? Those are the total points the defense surrendered in three of those losses. The Cowboys lost while scoring 31, 23 and 32 points in those games. But we put it all on the quarterback? ***.
Exactly! Daks rookie year the def was asleep for the first half putting us in a hole Dak dug out of. Btw, Dak outplayed Rogers statistically but as usual our defense couldn’t mk a stop.

ArtClink

Reaction score
A free agent and a 4th round quarterback was our best. And you want Jerry to figure out we need a quarterback :laugh: :lmao::lmao2:I'll give you Mahomes and in Dallas it won't matter:muttley:
I concur we can’t win even w Mahomes. Perhaps it’s because a drunk carnival barker is making the football decisions.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sir you make some excellent points about the two QBs. Dak has owned the NFC East his entire career. I don’t think a lot of fans understand how lucky we were getting this much from a 4th round pick that seemed to be an afterthought.

I’m just amazed how much Romo was embraced in Jerry overvaluing and overpaying Romo vs the total lack of respect for Dan by this fanbase.

I don’t think there has ever been a strategy by the Jones cartel other than “hope”.

I’m hoping Dak moves on from this dysfunctional, very flawed franchise and go to a contender w a real head coach w the power to hire and fire. This franchise is a joke.
Yes.
There were very loud Romo detractors, but it was never this bad.
And Romo was out injured for entire seasons while making franchise money.
Tony Romo was an NFL QB for 13 seasons, and he only made the playoffs 4 times.

His first playoff game he played in was a loss when he bobbled a snap as a holder.
Just Brutal luck. But he also only led the offense to 20 points.
And he did only have 2 INT in those 6 playoff games, but he fumbled the ball 8 times. EIGHT.
Whatever choking people pretend Dak does Tony really did.
Tony Romo only passed for 250 yards or more one time in 6 playoff games.
He passed for less than 200 yards 3 times in those 6 games.

Anyone pretending Romo was a better playoff performer than Dak is either willfully lying or ignoring every bit of factual evidence there is.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Yes.

His first playoff game he played in was a loss when he bobbled a snap as a holder.
And he did only have 2 INT in those 6 playoff games, but he fumbled the ball 8 times. EIGHT.

Anyone pretending Romo was a better playoff performer than Dak is either willfully lying or ignoring every bit of factual evidence there is.
Agree on all points.

I live in Dallas and IMO, never has a Dallas athlete been so heralded after achieving so little.

Here are some examples.
  1. Romo was actually suited up as the Dallas Mavericks 12th man in a real NBA game.
  2. Romo was paid near Peyton Manning money while never being a success in the playoffs. Our idiot owner is the fool that paid him and as you say Romo was an injury liability the second half of his career
  3. Jerry never brought in a great back up QB and there was never an open competition.
  4. Romo was given the key to the city by Dallas, again after achieving nothing in the playoffs.
  5. Romo produced the most gutless give up performance in Cowboys history against the Eagles in a win and in final season game in 2008. A 44-6 debacle where Romo fumbled and threw picks all game while laying facedown in the grass over and over and offered fans the “If this is the worst thing that’s ever happened to me, then I’ve lived a great life” line.
  6. Romo held the franchise hostage the second half of his career every season where the team gives up when he gets hurt since there is a subpar backup and never a challenger to his starting position.
  7. Romo was lazy the second half of his career, always showing up overweight to training camp, where his job was guaranteed regardless of performance.
  8. There’s talk of inducting Romo into the exclusive Ring of Honor. For what?
Double standard and fans use different measuring sticks for Romo vs Dak. We lose and it’s Daks fault. Romo loses and it’s the refs and the defense. Again a double standard.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Yes.

Romo lost two fumbles only, and both came in the Minnesota game where he was sacked 6 times and hurried 15 times. He threw 8TDs and only two picks, one on the last play of the game in a desperation heave against the Giants. The other pick was in the Minnesota game as well. In three of the four losses the team played top 5 defenses. Dak has thrown seven picks in playoff games and has had multiple drops of potential interceptions. He’s been bad in the past three playoff games, especially in the first half.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
The title of this thread is literally common sense . If this team signs Dak to 60 million I’ll see everyone when his contract is up, it will be a total waste of time to watch. I\m getting off the Dak hamster wheel while I still have my sanity If he signs for 60 million.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Agree on all points.

I live in Dallas and IMO, never has a Dallas athlete been so heralded after achieving so little.

Here are some examples.
  1. Romo was actually suited up as the Dallas Mavericks 12th man in a real NBA game.
  2. Romo was paid near Peyton Manning money while never being a success in the playoffs. Our idiot owner is the fool that paid him and as you say Romo was an injury liability the second half of his career
  3. Jerry never brought in a great back up QB and there was never an open competition.
  4. Romo was given the key to the city by Dallas, again after achieving nothing in the playoffs.
  5. Romo produced the most gutless give up performance in Cowboys history against the Eagles in a win and in final season game in 2008. A 44-6 debacle where Romo fumbled and threw picks all game while laying facedown in the grass over and over and offered fans the “If this is the worst thing that’s ever happened to me, then I’ve lived a great life” line.
  6. Romo held the franchise hostage the second half of his career every season where the team gives up when he gets hurt since there is a subpar backup and never a challenger to his starting position.
  7. Romo was lazy the second half of his career, always showing up overweight to training camp, where his job was guaranteed regardless of performance.
Double standard and fans use different measuring sticks for Romo vs Dak. We lose and it’s Daks fault. Romo loses and it’s the refs and the defense. Again a double standard.
I don't even mean to bang on Romo because he took over for a list of QBs so bad as to make the Cowboys unwatchable.
But only the dumbest fanbase in America would have this level of vitriol for a guy who finished 2nd in the MVP voting.
It is honestly embarrassing.

I don't think Dak is worth 60M AAV.
I get balking at the crazy numbers franchise QBs are going to and the 25% of the cap demands.
But pretending he sucks or the cause of the team failures is just insanely stupid.

This fan base deserves a few 5-win seasons to get right mentally.
Appreciate a division winning team again.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Romo lost two fumbles only, and both came in the Minnesota game where he was sacked 6 times and hurried 15 times. He threw 8TDs and only two picks, one on the last play of the game in a desperation heave against the Giants. The other pick was in the Minnesota game as well. In three of the four losses the team played top 5 defenses. Dak has thrown seven picks in playoff games and has had multiple drops of potential interceptions. He’s been bad in the past three playoff games, especially in the first half.
He lost 3 fumbles of the 8. Not counting the PAT that cost us a tie against Seattle.
But fumbles you or some else recover is still a fumble and it is still generally the end of a negative play.
And it doesn't increase the passing yardage totals which were abysmal.
It is much easier to look at the stats and game totals and see where logically Romo would take fault for playoff losses than it is with Dak.
196 yards passing 1 TD? Yes, not good enough passing offense.

Dak has averaged 280 yards passing 2 TDs and yes 1 INT per playoff game.
Those are Pro Bowl numbers extrapolated out over a season.

Big_D

Reaction score
Agree on all points.

Here are some examples.
Double standard? The Cowboys are considered one of the best drafting teams in the league today, that wasn’t even close to the case through the Romo years. Countless draft picks were Just thrown in the toilet between the RW trade and the special teams draft on top of every other moronic decision. To pretend that one QB had the same benefits as the other is laughable at this point. People will talk about 2007 and 2014 but no mention of the absolute garbage job by the GM the 6 years in between that. Like any QB doesn’t need quality decisions from his front office at the height of his career. Dak has dealt with nothing remotely close to the stupidity level of the Romo era!

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
He lost 3 fumbles of the 8. Not counting the PAT that cost us a tie against Seattle.
But fumbles you or some else recover is still a fumble and it is still generally the end of a negative play.
And it doesn't increase the passing yardage totals which were abysmal.
It is much easier to look at the stats and game totals and see where logically Romo would take fault for playoff losses than it is with Dak.
196 yards passing 1 TD? Yes, not good enough passing offense.

Dak has averaged 280 yards passing 2 TDs and yes 1 INT per playoff game.
Those are Pro Bowl numbers extrapolated out over a season.
He shouldn’t have been holding in the first place. And that’s not a QB play, but a special teams one. QB fumbles can occur for multiple reasons, none of which have to do with QB play unlike interceptions. For example, the QB can be hit by a defender who’s in the backfield before the QB has even time to secure the ball.

Dak’s passing yardage means practically nothing. Dak threw for 403 yards in the GB loss mostly against their second team and it was still 48-16 with 6 minutes left in the game because he was horrible in the first half, throwing effectively two pick sixes. Aikman’s passing yardages were low in multiple games because they rode Emmitt to victory. Play-calling and the strength of defenses played also determine QB statistics.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
Ultimately, we couldn’t win w Romo and we can’t win w Dak so IMO it really doesn’t matter who the QB is since the fuhrer is incapable of building a deep playoff run team on both sides of the ball. I think the past 28 seasons provide almost three decades of evidence.
I wanted Rome replaced, but not with some fourth rounder who was anointed the second coming right out of the shoot.
I would never waste another penny on him just to prevent the appearance of a double standard.
Making one mistake cannot be atoned for by making another.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
Romo threw two picks total in all of the playoff games, one on a desperation heave on the last play of the game in his first full year of starting. Outside of the Minnesota game where he was running for his life due to a sieve of an offensive line and the defense failing, all of the playoff games that were lost came down to the wire. It’s a superficial comparison to say the records are the same, therefore the QBs are the same.
Losing is one thing. Looking like an inept, wound tight, spastic rookie is a whole other level of failure.

And for the record, I thought Romo needed to be replaced sooner. He was not going to hold up and I doubted his composure in the big games.
But my goodness, what we've been forced to endure in recent history is beyond comprehension. This guy is not for the big stage.
When it counts, he's wound up, spastic, forced, slow on the draw, lacking judgement and the understanding of what's going on around him.
He just can't calm himself, get loose and execute under duress. The opposite of of a Brady.

raven55

Reaction score
this schedule is a killer even with a good team. get ready for a top ten draft next year

ArtClink

Reaction score
Double standard? The Cowboys are considered one of the best drafting teams in the league today, that wasn’t even close to the case through the Romo years. Countless draft picks were Just thrown in the toilet between the RW trade and the special teams draft on top of every other moronic decision. To pretend that one QB had the same benefits as the other is laughable at this point. People will talk about 2007 and 2014 but no mention of the absolute garbage job by the GM the 6 years in between that. Like any QB doesn’t need quality decisions from his front office at the height of his career. Dak has dealt with nothing remotely close to the stupidity level of the Romo era!
I dont see it that way and all and it's a common Romo defender response. Parcell's built a Super Bowl roster and then next year Wade Phillips had us 13-3 and we lost to the Giants. It's total BS that Romo never played with a Super Bowl roster, nonsense, and revisionist history. Again this is the exact double standard that is despicable.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The title of this thread is literally common sense . If this team signs Dak to 60 million I’ll see everyone when his contract is up, it will be a total waste of time to watch. I\m getting off the Dak hamster wheel while I still have my sanity If he signs for 60 million.
Just like it was a waste of time to watch the Romo Cowboys. Same playoff result, the only difference is one QB is heralded and will soon enter the ROH while the other is a top ten QB and is despised by many Cowboy fans.. Hm, I wonder what it could be?