Twitter: You think Dak's contract is bad?

GINeric

Reaction score
The standard in the NFL is that 90% of the QB contracts are bad. If you want to be anything more than a below average NFL team, you need to over pay your QB.

The truth is, Dak would have got this contract from most if not all the NFL teams in this league that is in need of a QB. Some of the teams with dire QB situations probably would have paid him more.

Some people don't know enough about football to realize this. You can tell by the posting hate at the qb position.

conner01

Reaction score
I understand wanting to see more of dak before committing long term.
But we put ourselves in a position without much leverage.
The short deal was a result.
Yep
I don’t think he would have signed long term. He’s a guy who is comfortable betting on himself and it’s paid off for him. But had we signed him a year sooner it would have no doubt been cheaper
But it is what it is and in a couple years we have to deal with it again which certainly isn’t ideal

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should have offered him 5 years 100 million. If he didn't accept, apply either the First round tender or non exclusive tagged him. Dallas paid him close to 100 million more than they should have for the same length of service.
Politics and that injury believe it or not worked to his advantage creating emotions galore for in essence a tier 3 QB with one playoff win!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yep
I don’t think he would have signed long term. He’s a guy who is comfortable betting on himself and it’s paid off for him. But had we signed him a year sooner it would have no doubt been cheaper
But it is what it is and in a couple years we have to deal with it again which certainly isn’t ideal
Agreed
A year early would have been nice
But hindsight is 20/20

Bates

Reaction score
The Eagles allegedly have one of the better defenses in the league. They also allegedly have one of the best offensive lines in the league. With a strong running game and decent QB play this team could make some noise. But if the Eagles were smart, they'd draft Hurts replacement next year, while letting him continue to be their starter.

If they draft a QB and a RB in the early rounds next year, we could be in trouble.

could is the operative word. It’s hard to hit on a qb.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Find this hard to believe. He has 2 yeats left on his contract plus they could use a franchise Tag after that. The qb cost has to come down somewhat soon you'd think.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He also doesn't have Lamar's arm either. I too like the guy. Wish he wasn't a Eagle. Seems too good for them but yeah I've seen some bad things from him as a passer....to the point I don't think he can develop better passing ability. Maybe with repetition things will change but man it was rough at times watching him.
A little of topic but I was watching NFL network and they played the last two games of the Cowboys/Packers. Dak has improved as a quarterback every year. In the 2017 game Dak seemed very limited. He seemed to target broken down Witten when he would get in trouble. The 2020 game he seemed to throw the ball down field more and take chances. Comparing those games against the Tampa opener, you can see Dak’s improvement as a quarterback. The guy gets better every season. Side note Jaylon Smith and LVE lost it in 2020. What the hell happened????

jrumann59

Reaction score
At the time, many of us pointed out this contract would come more into focus over time and with Watson's and rumor that Murray's will match that, Prescott will be out of the top 10 sooner than expected.

The guaranteed portion of both Watson's and Murray's are way beyond Prescott's 126M over 4 years with theirs at 230M over 5. Huge difference.
And then back into the top 10 pretty quickly with 3 years left on the new contract.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But zeke's IS bad? Zeke made dak let's pay him. this is what you said.

I guess Im slow because i dont see the angle. A thread about jalen Hurts basically saying if you think Daks contract is bad if Jaylon gets paid its even worse. whats that got to do with Zeke? and quite frankly it was both of them together that put fear in defenses. I can appreciate Zekes 2016 year in fact I long for a repeat but frankly he isnt even close to that and will never be. The wear and tear has taken its toll. I keep calling you out because its obvious to everyone not named Stevethecowboy and Ronnie that you are overly sensitive about anything Zeke related and even if the topic isnt Zeke and about Dak you find ways to bring him into it

I know Im a hater
I see. On a mission to call me out every time you think my comment is out of line.

You never respond to other comments...and they are there....you just don't care enough to look at those.

My comment was not directed at people that hate Dak's contract. It's directed at people that like Dak as our QB. A lot of those same people hate Zeke and/or contract. Whether you like it or not....Zeke is the one that made the 2016 team (and the o-line but of course). Dak did great driving the bus...easily a Super Bowl-appearing performance. Defense did NOT fear Dak and he rarely made them pay....other than hands on the wheel. Defenses (and analysts too...if you care for such things) even said as much..."stop Dak stop the Cowboys".

But they couldn't...and Dak was most favored by it.

If you want to continue the crusade....I'm okay with it. Is what it is. Dig deep... keep picking the scab.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Politics and that injury believe it or not worked to his advantage creating emotions galore for in essence a tier 3 QB with one playoff win!
Although it's not all on Dak...just one playoff win...sorta boggles my mind. No wonder all we have to do here is bicker.

Jipper

Reaction score
Find this hard to believe. He has 2 yeats left on his contract plus they could use a franchise Tag after that. The qb cost has to come down somewhat soon you'd think.

Why? What would make you think that?

The NFL is making more money every year than ever before, the salary cap keeps growing every year, the qb position continues to be the most important and gaining even more importance (if that was even possible).

There are literally zero indicators that anything will change....the only thing that could affect this is if there is a position salary cap developed or collectively bargained for and the current deal runs through 2030 I believe.

I just don't see any reason to believe its slowing down any time soon, which is exactly why Dak's deal is not as bad as everyone thinks it is....he will be paid outside of the top 10 by the end of this year, and will be around 8-10 in terms of ranking....so money wise it will fall where the market is dictating and in the out years will be a "deal" compared to the market.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Although it's not all on Dak...just one playoff win...sorta boggles my mind. No wonder all we have to do here is bicker.
Can't talk about playoff wins when you lose games 12-10 Saints.....23-0 Colts....13-9 Pats to name a few debacles......and your heavy cap-loaded offense just doesn't show up till the 4th Q and you know how the rest goes......:(

Last edited:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If Hurts plays well this year and the Eagles win the East his agent will ask for more money then Dak. That is the nature of quarterback contracts.

We don’t have to pay Hurts anything. OP’s is such a silly tweet. Major difference between Hurts and Dak is you were forced to overpay Dak because you waited right up until the second franchise tag. You were backed into a corner. We still have 3 years to decide what to do with Hurts

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Elway was a passer that Shanahan turned into a QB. That never took with Marino.

Can you explain how Elway or Marino weren't QB's before getting to the league?
I'm confused as they are widely considered two of the finest QB talents to have ever stepped on the field.

starfan1

Reaction score
I see. On a mission to call me out every time you think my comment is out of line.

You never respond to other comments...and they are there....you just don't care enough to look at those.

My comment was not directed at people that hate Dak's contract. It's directed at people that like Dak as our QB. A lot of those same people hate Zeke and/or contract. Whether you like it or not....Zeke is the one that made the 2016 team (and the o-line but of course). Dak did great driving the bus...easily a Super Bowl-appearing performance. Defense did NOT fear Dak and he rarely made them pay....other than hands on the wheel. Defenses (and analysts too...if you care for such things) even said as much..."stop Dak stop the Cowboys".

But they couldn't...and Dak was most favored by it.

If you want to continue the crusade....I'm okay with it. Is what it is. Dig deep... keep picking the scab.
Na I have commented on it you just don’t remember because your too busy going thread to thread defending zeke comments