You Want Garrett Fired

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Jones should just make himself head coach already and get it out of his system. He'll tank for something like five seasons and finally get sick of it and hire a real coach and butt out. He should have done this in about 1995 or so.

nobody

Reaction score
Jones should just make himself head coach already and get it out of his system. He'll tank for something like five seasons and finally get sick of it and hire a real coach and butt out. He should have done this in about 1995 or so.

He'll never butt out. The Cowboys are his favorite toy to play with. We're stuck with that until he dies. It is what it is.

mardwin

Reaction score
I personally don't want him fired, I want him not to be the HC anymore. If he wants to be GM or part of the front office that's fine with me.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry wouldn't give Tom Landry a day..........but for Jason Garret he's got 10 years of patience. Baffling
Is it baffling because Jones utterly dismissed a Hall of Fame caliber coach as soon as he bought the team, while giving another coach, who owned a brief and unremarkable resume prior to being hired as head coach, a decade? Agreed. That is baffling.

It is also an example why Jones' motivations are continually misunderstood. What is baffling to those who do not understand his personality makes perfect sense to Jones himself. Jones 'knows' he is right to have given Garrett a super long extended amount of rope because he 'knows' supplying Garrett with:
  • coaches
  • players
  • other resources and (most importantly)
  • his 100% personal backing
--will eventually prove he can hire any coach he prefers and win championships with.

"Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations."
- Narcissistic personality disorder, Symptoms, Mayo Clinic

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because someone believes they know it all does not mean they want to do it all. There have been and will be literally millions of people who think they know how to do a job better than those who do the job but never seek to do the other person's job. Jerry Jones is no different. Jones believes he knows more about football than most but has never been serious about coaching and proving the point to everyone else.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it baffling because Jones utterly dismissed a Hall of Fame caliber coach as soon as he bought the team, while giving another coach, who owned a brief and unremarkable resume prior to being hired as head coach, a decade? Agreed. That is baffling.

It is also an example why Jones' motivations are continually misunderstood. What is baffling to those who do not understand his personality makes perfect sense to Jones himself. Jones 'knows' he is right to have given Garrett a super long extended amount of rope because he 'knows' supplying Garrett with:
  • coaches
  • players
--will eventually prove he can hire any coach he prefers and win championships with.

Pretty sure the credit for the Garret hire ship has sailed, and he already proved any coach can win a championship when he hired Switzer. In fact, that was the whole point of the Switzer hire........... However, building that team that any coach can win with has proven beyond his ability. Can't fake it.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Just because someone believes they know it all does not mean they want to do it all. There have been and will be literally millions of people who think they know how to do a job better than those who do the job but never seek to do the other person's job. Jerry Jones is no different. Jones believes he knows more about football than most but has never been serious about coaching and proving the point to everyone else.

It's frustrating. Many of us have known for years that Jerry needs to butt out and hire a good coach and give him autonomy. But he doesn't do that. I'm past the point of getting upset about it. Getting upset never helps, so I might as well not worry about it. I could watch my fav NCAA team, but they suck too. I miss the Landry years.

Batman1980

Reaction score
DE, I keep trying to tell them but they won't listen. He does what he wants to do, not what he has to do or needs to do.

giphy.gif

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty sure the credit for the Garret hire ship has sailed, and he already proved any coach can win a championship when he hired Switzer. In fact, that was the whole point of the Switzer hire........... However, building that team that any coach can win with has proven beyond his ability. Can't fake it.
That is from your point of view. It is the same viewpoint shared by many many many other folks also.

Thing is, it is not the viewpoint shared by Jerry Jones. The guy who hired Garrett. And the only guy who will fire Garrett. That is the point I hope this thread can help get across to more people.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

• coaches
  • players

It's not baffling. Jerry prefers to hire coaches he knows, after all he went to college with Jimmy, had Campo and others on his staff, and Jason as a player.

But you're right on the second part, remember Jerry saying "any one of 500 coaches could win with this team". He truly believes that, STILL..

cern

Reaction score

• coaches
  • players

not baffling at all. tom was a link to the old cowboys and after the purchase jerry made sure the cowboys were going to be his cowboys, no one elses. tex was gone shortly thereafter and also gil. just smart business. while jimmy had no nfl track record, he had a great record coaching the college ranks, played football with jerry at Arkansas and they had a familiarity with eachother. jimmy also had the i.q. of a genius. history bears out the wisdom of the hiring. 2 superbowls in 5 years and a team good enough to win another shortly after jimmy left. jimmy won as many superbowls in 5 years as tom in 29 years. garrett is here because he was jerry's pet cat/project and jerry hates to admit being wrong. I think garrett's gone at season's end.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not baffling. Jerry prefers to hire coaches he knows, after all he went to college with Jimmy, had Campo and others on his staff, and Jason as a player.

But you're right on the second part, remember Jerry saying "any one of 500 coaches could win with this team". He truly believes that, STILL..
Just my opinion but I would describe the contradictory application of logic as 'baffling'. I agree with @atlantacowboy 's terminology in describing it also. It should be pointed out who is the only person in a world of billions who applied his self sense of logic in this case. And that individual's name is Jerry Jones.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not baffling at all. tom was a link to the old cowboys and after the purchase jerry made sure the cowboys were going to be his cowboys, no one elses. tex was gone shortly thereafter and also gil. just smart business. while jimmy had no nfl track record, he had a great record coaching the college ranks, played football with jerry at Arkansas and they had a familiarity with eachother. jimmy also had the i.q. of a genius. history bears out the wisdom of the hiring. 2 superbowls in 5 years and a team good enough to win another shortly after jimmy left. jimmy won as many superbowls in 5 years as tom in 29 years. garrett is here because he was jerry's pet cat/project and jerry hates to admit being wrong. I think garrett's gone at season's end.
Okay. I'm done. Back to work to me. ~whistles seven dwarfs Hi Ho song~ :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, I got an idea, let's start a fire Garrett thread!!
Well, my hopes were my thread would get some folks thinking when it would be likely to start a Fire Garrett thread (or even proclaim 'HE'S GETTING FIRED RIGHT NOW!') by finally stop and try to think like the guy who would do the firing. :)

phildadon86

Reaction score
Ask anybody what? Yes they all want Lincoln that doesn't mean he wants to come here
Pretty sure coaching for the biggest team in sports in his home State would be enough. Never mind the amount of money they would pay him

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't want Garrett fired, I do however want some mods fired. I'm not donating to CZ ever again as long as my PM is disabled.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Pretty sure coaching for the biggest team in sports in his home State would be enough. Never mind the amount of money they would pay him
You talkin about the Cowboys paying him. It's a dream not going to happen