Young's handlers aren't handling their business

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He was the first player on the field, standing tall, smiling wide and clowning around as he always does. Now the key question: Why was he even there?
Why was Vince Young, the hottest football player on the planet, participating in a cheesy made-for-television "all-star challenge" in Miami? Why would a player who has nothing to gain and everything to lose as a top draft prospect be part of an informal workout -- because that's what it was -- in an environment over which he had no control?

"I've been working out at home really hard, and I needed a break," Young says.

Fine. Go to the Bahamas. Go to Europe. Go anywhere but to some skills challenge that exposes weaknesses to Texans owner Bob McNair -- the guy debating whether to spend millions on you -- and his personnel department.
"I wouldn't have him anywhere near here," one agent said through the glare of the South Florida sun.

Meanwhile, Young's agent, Major Adams, a friend of the Young family and not as -- what's a nice way to say this? -- experienced as some other agents, declares, "If you have nothing to hide, why hide?"

Well, here's why: Young was set up to fail in this event. And when it was over, he hadn't shown nearly the accuracy of UCLA's Drew Olson or Alabama's Brodie Croyle. He looked on par with Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst -- who still is recovering from shoulder surgery. There's a reason colleges have pro days, when pro scouts come to campuses to watch players work out in their environment, throw to their teammates and, more than anything, perform in their comfort zone.

At one point in the skills competition, the four QBs were paired with pass catchers. Young was paired with Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams, the only nonreceiver in the group, and the two didn't connect on three of five passes.

There also was a deep throwing test in which quarterbacks were asked to throw the ball as far as they could while keeping the ball between the hash marks. Young scratched to the right on his first two attempts. Before the third throw, Adams yelled, "Aim it this way (left)." I'm not sure if he was joking or serious, but the third throw hit the right hash mark barrier. There is too much riding on Young's future -- he wants to play for his hometown Texans, who would have to give up on former No. 1 overall pick David Carr to pull the trigger on Young -- to noodle around in Miami for a measly appearance fee. His management team had better tighten up and get a grip on what's best for its client.

Young says he will work out at the NFL Scouting Combine but won't lift or run. He'll follow the same plan at his pro day in late March in Austin. The goal, he says, is to focus on throwing and eliminate any doubt about his funky mechanics or accuracy.

I have no doubt about Young's ability to throw. His ability to choose a competent management team is another story.

© 2006 The Sporting News

superpunk

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Not sure about the "racist" comparison. I didn't get that out of the VY piece, but I get why you went there.

Yeah....just a joke. NVM. No harm meant to anyone, and the joke obviously wasn't decent, as it's not understood. :shootfoot I've shamed my family.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I know this won't be popular with all the Texas fans here but....

Young is a phenominal athlete but he is NOT and NFL-ready QB. Like Vick he is a runner first and a QB second. His deep ball is severely lacking as is his accuracy when compared with the other top QBs in the draft. Matt Leinart is a true franchise QB and will be the first QB picked in the draft, probably by the Saints. Young will likely go to the Titans where he can sit behind McNair for a year or three while coming in like Kordell Stewart used to for the Steelers.

Great athletes do not usually make great QBs because they rely on their athletic ability too much and do not focus on learning the subtleties of the QB position. You can get away with that in college but not in the NFL.

Sorry to burst your bubble UT fans but that's the way I see it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
THUMPER said:

Young is a phenominal athlete but he is NOT and NFL-ready QB. Like Vick he is a runner first and a QB second. His deep ball is severely lacking as is his accuracy when compared with the other top QBs in the draft. Matt Leinart is a true franchise QB and will be the first QB picked in the draft, probably by the Saints. Young will likely go to the Titans where he can sit behind McNair for a year or three while coming in like Kordell Stewart used to for the Steelers.

Great athletes do not usually make great QBs because they rely on their athletic ability too much and do not focus on learning the subtleties of the QB position. You can get away with that in college but not in the NFL.

I'm a big Texas fan and have not missed a single game that young has played at UT and I think he is making a mistake, he needed to stay the extra year because I don't think he is ready for the jump in the NFL. He is a great athlete but his passing still has a lot of work that needs to be done. I know about the stats but I have also seen him making the throws and a lot of his passes are not going to cut it in the NFL

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm a big Texas fan and have not missed a single game that young has played at UT and I think he is making a mistake, he needed to stay the extra year because I don't think he is ready for the jump in the NFL. He is a great athlete but his passing still has a lot of work that needs to be done. I know about the stats but I have also seen him making the throws and a lot of his passes are not going to cut it in the NFL

I also thought he should stay in college another year and work on his passing. He put up excellent numbers but the times I watched him he threw a lot of short passes, which he is very good at, but missed most of his deep throws badly. Granted I only saw him play a couple of times but that is all I have to go by.

I think he is a great kid and will make an awesome player but he isn't ready yet. His handlers are making several big mistakes with him and it will cost him big time. They are thinking short term payoff when they should be preparing him for a career.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
I also thought he should stay in college another year and work on his passing. He put up excellent numbers but the times I watched him he threw a lot of short passes, which he is very good at, but missed most of his deep throws badly. Granted I only saw him play a couple of times but that is all I have to go by.

I think he is a great kid and will make an awesome player but he isn't ready yet. His handlers are making several big mistakes with him and it will cost him big time. They are thinking short term payoff when they should be preparing him for a career.

I agree. If all he wants is a pay day then come on to the NFL but I think if he is hoping to have a successful career long-term I think 1 more year of college would make the transition to the NFL much smoother for him. Evidently that is not going to happen so I wish him the best of luck

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In my opinion, this really doesn't matter one way or the other. I don't love the idea of him risking injury but the possability of that was probably minimal so I guess it's all relative. As far as him hurting his status, I don't think thats really a concern. He will be evaluated on his body of work, while at Texas. He will be evaluated on his last season, particularly. He will be evaluated on the combine, his Pro Day and his personal workouts. This made for TV thing will never even come into play.

As for staying, I'm sorry but I don't agree. Can anybody on this board honestly tell me that the coaching staff at Texas would help him correct anything he's currently doing incorrectly? I just don't see it.

The team that drafts Young will not do so based on his ability to to start right now. It will do so based on his potential and projected success two or three years down the road. I see no reason he should wait to start his development, as an NFL QB, for another year.

I guess I just don't believe he has very much to gain by staying. I would stress that I also believe Young is a bit of a different animal here. His situation is very unique, IMO. Normally, I would be a major proponant (sp?) of staying in school but not in Young's case.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. If all he wants is a pay day then come on to the NFL but I think if he is hoping to have a successful career long-term I think 1 more year of college would make the transition to the NFL much smoother for him. Evidently that is not going to happen so I wish him the best of luck

The best place for him would be with the Titans where he will not likely be asked to step in and start right away and can learn behind McNair who also had to overcome a reliance on his physical ability and learn to play the position at a higher level.

I am looking forward to seeing him on the field because he is very exciting to watch and hopefully Tennessee, if they draft him, will put him out there whenever they can. I like the idea of using him like "Slash" was in Pittsburgh but hopefully he will turn out to be a much better QB than Stewart and I think he will.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
THUMPER said:

I totally agree. Being an A&M guy, no one will take me serious, but I think Vince Young is a disaster waiting to happen if someone gets him in the first round. He's a guy I'd take a chance on after the first, but I'd take Leinart any day over him. Young might have won the last BCS, but whoever takes Leinart will get the first Super Bowl ring.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
In my opinion, this really doesn't matter one way or the other. I don't love the idea of him risking injury but the possability of that was probably minimal so I guess it's all relative. As far as him hurting his status, I don't think thats really a concern. He will be evaluated on his body of work, while at Texas. He will be evaluated on his last season, particularly. He will be evaluated on the combine, his Pro Day and his personal workouts. This made for TV thing will never even come into play.

As for staying, I'm sorry but I don't agree. Can anybody on this board honestly tell me that the coaching staff at Texas would help him correct anything he's currently doing incorrectly? I just don't see it.

The team that drafts Young will not do so based on his ability to to start right now. It will do so based on his potential and projected success two or three years down the road. I see no reason he should wait to start his development, as an NFL QB, for another year.

I guess I just don't believe he has very much to gain by staying. I would stress that I also believe Young is a bit of a different animal here. His situation is very unique, IMO. Normally, I would be a major proponant (sp?) of staying in school but not in Young's case.

I think Texas does have the coaching staff to make a differance in Young's developement but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and as I said I hope things work out for Young I think he is a good kid.

notherbob

Reaction score
I think he's doing the economically prudent thing in coming out while his value is at it's peak and would probably go down by next year, especially if he gets injured. He just doesn't need to be rushed into starting his first year by whomever drafts him - they need to be patient and develop him. In the pros he will make millions while he learns, but if he stays at UT, he'll probably only get a few hundred thou.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think Texas does have the coaching staff to make a differance in Young's developement but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and as I said I hope things work out for Young I think he is a good kid.

As do I Dooms. Gotta pull for your home guys and I will certainly be pulling for one Vincent Young.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
As do I Dooms. Gotta pull for your home guys and I will certainly be pulling for one Vincent Young.

Up to a point. When he plays aginst Dallas I hope the flaws show up big time. LOL

ravidubey

Reaction score
NFL guys shuold care less whether or not Vince Young can hit a hasmark. When was the last time in a game that it mattered whether a QB could throw accurately into the dirt?

Vince Young is going to be an exciting and dynamic player and he has the size and speed to adjust to and make an impact in the NFL. Would you rather judge Troy Aikman by his showing in the NFL QB Challenge or the NFL Playoffs? Sheesh.