Young's handlers aren't handling their business

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Again, if my math is good, that's 160 Draft picks taken, and only 8 of them are from Texas schools. 5% doesn't seem like evidence of a trend or proclivity to me. My gosh we've draft 7 from Miami in the same time frame. 1 school vs. and entire state.

You got me thinking and if you go back and look the Cowboys are not inclined to take U of Texas players. We took McGarity in '99, then none as far back as 1987 with two busts, Everett Gay and Jeff Ward, two more busts in 1986 (Chris Duliban and Bryan Chester) and no others as far back as Kevin Appleton in 1964, then three from 1961-63 (Tommy Lucas, Don Talbert and Bob Moses).

We bring Texas area players in for pre-draft visits and acquire undrafted free agents often, but when it comes to the draft, we simply don't do it often.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
You got me thinking and if you go back and look the Cowboys are not inclined to take U of Texas players. We took McGarity in '99, then none as far back as 1987 with two busts, Everett Gay and Jeff Ward, two more busts in 1986 (Chris Duliban and Bryan Chester) and no others as far back as Kevin Appleton in 1964, then three from 1961-63 (Tommy Lucas, Don Talbert and Bob Moses).

We bring Texas area players in for pre-draft visits and acquire undrafted free agents often, but when it comes to the draft, we simply don't do it often.
It sure seems that way to me, and I'll be the first to admit we've passed on some Texas players that I was very high on. Other than Quentin Jammer, I really can't think of a Texas player that I read anything about Jerry coveting him badly. Even that player we didn't trade up to take.

Thank heavens.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:
It sure seems that way to me, and I'll be the first to admit we've passed on some Texas players that I was very high on. Other than Quentin Jammer, I really can't think of a Texas player that I read anything about Jerry coveting him badly. Even that player we didn't trade up to take.

Thank heavens.

I seem to recall we liked Tony Brackens though, right?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I seem to recall we liked Tony Brackens though, right?
I know a lot of fans did, but I can't remember if the team did. I'd take your word for it if you remember that they did.

If I remember right, I think we didn't have a 1st round pick that year and Kavika Pittman was our pick a few spots later after Brackens was off the board. Again, no trade up.