Young's handlers aren't handling their business

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
jterrell said:
He was playing football though.

VY was running glorified training drills.
These guys are all insured out the wazoo anyway.

Insurance is nice and all but it doesn't cover losses from other sources of income. I realize Young has some marketibility in a local market as the QB who led Texas to the MNC, but is that going to score him an autograph signing gig 5 years from now outside of Texas?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I realize Young has some marketibility in a local market as the QB who led Texas to the MNC,

How dare you call our National Championship Mythical!

What the hell were ya thinkan Stan?

:laugh2:

kartr

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Ask kartr. It doesn't make any sense to me, either.

Why ask me, I didn't make the remark. Ask the person who made the statement to further explain or would that be too logical.

kartr

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm a big Texas fan and have not missed a single game that young has played at UT and I think he is making a mistake, he needed to stay the extra year because I don't think he is ready for the jump in the NFL. He is a great athlete but his passing still has a lot of work that needs to be done. I know about the stats but I have also seen him making the throws and a lot of his passes are not going to cut it in the NFL

I'm not a Texas fan, but if the college coaching at UT can get Vince Young to be productive, why can't an NFL coaching staff,especially since when you play in the NFL, you are a full time football player. There is nothing that Vince can learn about mechanics or reading defenses in college that can't be taught to him by the pros. Some qb's who play for 4 years in college are still just average Joes at best.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
How dare you call our National Championship Mythical!

What the hell were ya thinkan Stan?

:laugh2:

Now don't go and get me rantin' on a playoff system. :bang2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kartr said:
I'm not a Texas fan, but if the college coaching at UT can get Vince Young to be productive, why can't an NFL coaching staff,especially since when you play in the NFL, you are a full time football player. There is nothing that Vince can learn about mechanics or reading defenses in college that can't be taught to him by the pros. Some qb's who play for 4 years in college are still just average Joes at best.

I just believe that it benefits QB's to stay in school more so than any other position. There were some stats shown a few months back to support it and I just agree with it. It showed more QB's don't make it when they come out early compared to those who stayed. Maybe it is a mature factor considering the QB position takes on the role of a leader unlike other position on a football team.

kartr

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
I know this won't be popular with all the Texas fans here but....

Young is a phenominal athlete but he is NOT and NFL-ready QB. Like Vick he is a runner first and a QB second. His deep ball is severely lacking as is his accuracy when compared with the other top QBs in the draft. Matt Leinart is a true franchise QB and will be the first QB picked in the draft, probably by the Saints. Young will likely go to the Titans where he can sit behind McNair for a year or three while coming in like Kordell Stewart used to for the Steelers.

Great athletes do not usually make great QBs because they rely on their athletic ability too much and do not focus on learning the subtleties of the QB position. You can get away with that in college but not in the NFL.

Sorry to burst your bubble UT fans but that's the way I see it.

It's not a question of being a UT fan or not. It's about the quality and commitment of the pro coaching staff in developing their players. There is no logical reason why a great athlete can't be just as effective as a 'pocket qb', if given the same opportunity. I distinctly remember guys like Elway,Steve Young and Randall Cunningham adapting nicely to the pro game when given ample opportunity. There's a whole heckuva lot of 'pocket qbs' that don't ever develop into quality starters or backups and no one makes issue of their lack of athleticism as a deterant to developing. To me, athleticism gives inexperienced qb's an extra tool to use until they develop their games completely and then once they learn the main nuances to pro quarterbacking, that mobility makes them even more effective as difference-makers, see Mark Brunell as another example. Bledsoe, as a pocket passer is still trying to learn to throw the ball away if his receivers aren't open after 13 years.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
now there are rumblings on ESPN INsider that Young is eyeing the NBA. w/o knowing what they're talking about it sounds initially like he doesn't wanna go to a few teams high up in the picking order.

blindzebra

Reaction score
kartr said:
Why ask me, I didn't make the remark. Ask the person who made the statement to further explain or would that be too logical.

Did you say the specific words racist handlers? No, but...

The guy you're referring to didn't need NFL Europe and only did drugs because his handlers were too stupid to realize he was the right guy for the job, but didn't want him because he didn't sell enough jersey's to the right people.

You're pretty simple if you think that's why he did drugs. He knew his career was over when they lied to him about not drafting another qb or bringing in a veteran. He knew he was going to wind up on the same scrap as Tony Banks and Jeff Blake, and wouldn't be given another chance to start, drugs or no drugs. He knew they were going to stick him behind Vinny/Drew and when his contract was up after 2005, no one would give him a chance to start, drugs or not, that's why David Garrard resigned with Jacksonville. He understands whats going on in the NFL with the qb situation. It's the same reason that Jay Cutler is more popular than Omar Jacobs, even though Jacobs is clearly more polished.

We aren't stupid, your accusation is blatant.

kartr

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
In my opinion, this really doesn't matter one way or the other. I don't love the idea of him risking injury but the possability of that was probably minimal so I guess it's all relative. As far as him hurting his status, I don't think thats really a concern. He will be evaluated on his body of work, while at Texas. He will be evaluated on his last season, particularly. He will be evaluated on the combine, his Pro Day and his personal workouts. This made for TV thing will never even come into play.

As for staying, I'm sorry but I don't agree. Can anybody on this board honestly tell me that the coaching staff at Texas would help him correct anything he's currently doing incorrectly? I just don't see it.

The team that drafts Young will not do so based on his ability to to start right now. It will do so based on his potential and projected success two or three years down the road. I see no reason he should wait to start his development, as an NFL QB, for another year.

I guess I just don't believe he has very much to gain by staying. I would stress that I also believe Young is a bit of a different animal here. His situation is very unique, IMO. Normally, I would be a major proponant (sp?) of staying in school but not in Young's case.

Great post. UT's coaching staff doesn't have the best record for turning out pro qb's, whether as 'pocket or athletic types'. He'll get full time training in the pros. Most 'pocket qbs' are not ready to start either as rookies and I think the ones saying Vince needs to stay know that already. Everybody develops at different rates irrespective of their style of play and no one can say with any certainty which qb, Leinart or Young will be a pro bowler or bust as yet. There's room in the NFL for either style of play and as football fans we should just be happy that we're getting talents of their magnitude instead of Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers as the first two picks.

kartr

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I totally agree. Being an A&M guy, no one will take me serious, but I think Vince Young is a disaster waiting to happen if someone gets him in the first round. He's a guy I'd take a chance on after the first, but I'd take Leinart any day over him. Young might have won the last BCS, but whoever takes Leinart will get the first Super Bowl ring.

Then you must be psychic to make that assessment cause a lot of the scouts don't like Leinart's physical tools. They understand that Young will need more time, but let me remind you, Leinart is a 5th year SR, while Young was a red-shirt junior this year. Leinart is two years older and has more experience and had 2 first round RB's in the backfield with him, along with the better receiving core and TE. If Young can beat Leinart in his own backyard under those circumstances, then logically, wouldn't you think that Young could be just as successful if not moreso in the pros.

kartr

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Up to a point. When he plays aginst Dallas I hope the flaws show up big time. LOL

You're assuming of course that Dallas wont move up to get him. Remember who the owner is. Vince Young would sell a lot jerseys in Dallas, just as he would in Houston and he'd have a huge homer fan base already built in.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kartr said:
Then you must be psychic to make that assessment cause a lot of the scouts don't like Leinart's physical tools. They understand that Young will need more time, but let me remind you, Leinart is a 5th year SR, while Young was a red-shirt junior this year. Leinart is two years older and has more experience and had 2 first round RB's in the backfield with him, along with the better receiving core and TE. If Young can beat Leinart in his own backyard under those circumstances, then logically, wouldn't you think that Young could be just as successful if not moreso in the pros.

Texas beat USC it was not Young vs Leinart. Leinart in his own right put up fantastic numbers in that game aginst a Texas defense that was much better than the USC defense. You logic is flawed big time

Chuck 54

Reaction score
1. Yes, it was a stupid move to play around in this event when he isn't even being compared to the top guys...and to finish behind guys not named Leinart isn't helpful.

2. I don't mind him not working out or running at the Combine, but if he's not even going to run at his private workouts....that's insane. If his passing isn't on par with the top guys, and many of us think it isn't, then you try to show the best you can passing and then turn heads with agility and speed that the other guys don't have...entice a team to pick you over the other guys because they believe they can make you a better passer while you wow the league with your mobility.

Foolish....I've heard the old saying about you showed em what you had in college, so you don't need to show more of the same, but a running QB needs to work out and show that he does indeed have world class speed and agility that translates to the NFL. If he doesn't run, it leaves the doubt that it wasn't as good as it looked because it was against college defenses.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
You're assuming of course that Dallas wont move up to get him. Remember who the owner is. Vince Young would sell a lot jerseys in Dallas, just as he would in Houston and he'd have a huge homer fan base already built in.
Please show me which Drafts Jerry has moved up in during his time here so he could take a Texas player to sell jerseys.

Even one.........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kartr said:

I'm more than assuming I'll promise you he is not coming to Dallas care to put what little reputation you have on the line here? I certainly will. In 3 inch letters "100% Vince Young is not going to be drafted by Dallas"

kartr

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Vince Young is a bust and apparently anyone who thinks so is a racist.:rolleyes:

Those are your words. But you must admit, since there's no logical basis for thinking that, maybe you're hoping he'll be a bust, so that the NFL will only draft 'pocket qbs' and not runners.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
kartr said:
ummmm...a red shirt junior is a 4th year player, so there's only 1 year of difference in college between the two. The huge difference is that Leinart has an extra year of seasoning, reading defenses, and refining his skills in competitive situations as opposed to trying to refine his skills on the bench in the NFL.

There's nothing wrong with YOung coming out early, but even the most successful QB to ever come out early would still have been more ready for that first year if he'd had another year of experience....that's just common sense.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
kartr said:
Those are your words. But you must admit, since there's no logical basis for thinking that, maybe you're hoping he'll be a bust, so that the NFL will only draft 'pocket qbs' and not runners.

and maybe you're just hoping there's a lot of racist people out there to help excuse failures.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
ummmm...a red shirt junior is a 4th year player, so there's only 1 year of difference in college between the two. The huge difference is that Leinart has an extra year of seasoning, reading defenses, and refining his skills in competitive situations as opposed to trying to refine his skills on the bench in the NFL.

There's nothing wrong with YOung coming out early, but even the most successful QB to ever come out early would still have been more ready for that first year if he'd had another year of experience....that's just common sense.
I keep saying this very thing.