plasticman

Reaction score
1st Team

Charles Haley, Randy White, Bob Lilly, Harvey Martin

2nd Team

Ed Jones, LaRoi Glover, Russel Maryland, DeMarcus Ware*

3rd Team:**

George Andrie, Jethro Pugh, Leon Lett, Jim Jeffcoat

*There were seasons where DeMarcus played a DE in a 4-3.

** Just too many good D-linemen required 3 deep recognition.

cowboyec

Reaction score
☆DE Ed too tall Jones
☆DT Bob Lilly
☆DT Randy White
☆DE Harvey Martin

☆DE Demarcus Ware
☆DT Jethro Pugh
☆DT Russell Maryland
☆DE Jim Jeffcoat

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is Jethro Pugh?

Jason Hatcher had 11 sacks the one year they let him start. He was held back by his idiot coaches. And he only started that year because of injury.
Hatcher was a 3-4 DE before that year. They let him start at DT that year because they switched to a 4-3, which was a better fit for is skills.

Was the question about Pugh real? Started at DT for 12 years in the late 60's and early 70's

Creeper

Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan, if you’ve never heard of the GREAT Jethro Pugh, you need to review some history.

I remember him for the Ice Bowl. I know that's not fair because he had a good career but that one play is etched in my brain and is not going away.

CoachD

Reaction score
Demitrius Underwood, Darren Benson, Shante Carver, Ebenezer Ekuban

Willie Blade, Danny Noonan, Kavika Pitman, Brandon Williams

Legends all...

Holy F you picked some awesome hall of famers right there but you totally missed one all time legend...... Greg Hardy!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember him for the Ice Bowl. I know that's not fair because he had a good career but that one play is etched in my brain and is not going away.
Jethro Pugh averaged 12 sacks a season for nearly five years from something like 68-72. He was always overshadowed by the true greatness of Bob Lily.

CoachD

Reaction score
1st team
DE Charles Haley
DE Harvey Martin
DT Bob Lilly
DT Randy White

2nd team
DE Ed Too tall Jones
DE DLaw
DT Jay Ratliff
DT Jason Hatcher

Underrated
DE Jim Jeffcoat
DE Tony Tolbert
DT Tony Casillas
DT Laroi Glover

Overrated
DE Shante Carver
DE Ebenezar Ekuban
DT John Dutton
DT Russell Maryland

Note: * DWare was more of a OLB edge than DE; he'll be my OLB when that appears"soon"

I like your list however I don't think Maryland was overrated and you gotta put Leon Lett me sack you in there somewhere because he was a beast in the middle even if he F'ed up and couple of times on and off the field.

Rayman70

Reaction score
my 4 guys all time would be: Harvey Martin,Bob Lilly,Randy White,Ed Too Tall Jones...My 2 honorable mentions would be Jim Jeffcoat and Leon Lett. Leon was pert near unblockable. A force in the interior. He gets overlooked. Jeffcoat is vastly under appreciated too. He played at a high level for a long time. Mr. reliable.He is still tormenting Phil Simms to this day lol.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Charles Haley is tough as nails..and that dude was also unblockable. We have had a wealth of riches along that dline for many decades.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Holy F you picked some awesome hall of famers right there but you totally missed one all time legend...... Greg Hardy!!

Yeah but Hardy could actually play. If that guy stayed out trouble he could have landed in Canton.

CoachD

Reaction score
Yeah but Hardy could actually play. If that guy stayed out trouble he could have landed in Canton.

Not sure if you could take it all the way to the hall but he definitely had talent that's for sure.

Rayman70

Reaction score
WHEN I left Haley,Ware off my list...that's really telling...its because how blessed we been, spoiled..to have those riches on the dline for that long. INCREDIBLE. Leon Lett..THE BIG CAT...WAS DOMINANT. No one wanted to block him..they couldn't. Jeffcoat played for like 15 years I think..a very long time. He was a power edge guy..steady like cool hand Luke. HECK...Greg Ellis is another guy that was solid..just not ALL TIME like these others.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Hatcher was a 3-4 DE before that year. They let him start at DT that year because they switched to a 4-3, which was a better fit for is skills.

Was the question about Pugh real? Started at DT for 12 years in the late 60's and early 70's
I'm not old enough to know him. Actually I never heard of him.

quickccc

Reaction score
I like your list however I don't think Maryland was overrated and you gotta put Leon Lett me sack you in there somewhere because he was a beast in the middle even if he F'ed up and couple of times on and off the field.

People forget that Russell Maryland was once the No.1 overall entire pick in the NFL draft, (1991)
after Cowboys could not make a deal with WR Rocket Ismail , the guy they really coveted.
Need less to say he never dominant and never came close to playing as the No.1 pick in the entire draft.

Lett was a 7th round pick, ironically in the very same 1991 draft class, and made 2 pro bowls, so despite up and down career, ...he was still a pleasant surprise at the very end of the NFL draft.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People forget that Russell Maryland was once the No.1 overall entire pick in the NFL draft, (1991)
after Cowboys could not make a deal with WR Rocket Ismail , the guy they really coveted.
Need less to say he never dominant and never came close to playing as the No.1 pick in the entire draft.

Lett was a 7th round pick, ironically in the very same 1991 draft class, and made 2 pro bowls, so despite up and down career, ...he was still a pleasant surprise at the very end of the NFL draft.
Would have loved to see Ismail and Irvin play together in the early 90's. Irvin, Harper and Ismail would have been very difficult for 90's defenses to defend

kskboys

Reaction score
1st team
DE Charles Haley
DE Harvey Martin
DT Bob Lilly
DT Randy White

2nd team
DE Ed Too tall Jones
DE DLaw
DT Jay Ratliff
DT Jason Hatcher

Underrated
DE Jim Jeffcoat
DE Tony Tolbert
DT Tony Casillas
DT Laroi Glover

Overrated
DE Shante Carver
DE Ebenezar Ekuban
DT John Dutton
DT Russell Maryland

Note: * DWare was more of a OLB edge than DE; he'll be my OLB when that appears"soon"
Carver and Ekuban sucked and everyone knew it. How in the world can you call them overrated? I honestly can't recall even one time someone said they were good.

Reactions: BAT

cowboyec

Reaction score
Jethro Pugh averaged 12 sacks a season for nearly five years from something like 68-72. He was always overshadowed by the true greatness of Bob Lily.
as a group...DE too tall Jones...DT Randy White...DT Jethro Pugh...DE Harvey Martin is my all-time favorite starting line-up.
#2 would be Townes/Cole...Lilly...Pugh...Andrie.
#3 would be the 80s group...too tall...White...Dutton...Jeffcoat.