Your all time DL?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our original Doomsday

th
Wasn’t DE Willie Townes was one the original Doomsday DL before Larry Cole? Townes played for the Cowboys 66-68 or 69. I loved Larry Cole btw. Will never forget him rolling across the ground in joy after Roger threw the winning TD in that great comeback playoff win against the niners in 72.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wasn’t DE Willie Townes was one the original Doomsday DL before Larry Cole? Townes played for the Cowboys 66-68 or 69. I loved Larry Cole btw. Will never forget him rolling across the ground in joy after Roger threw the winning TD in that great comeback playoff win against the niners in 72.
Yes , Townes played before Cole but I’m not sure it was called Doomsday at that time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes , Townes played before Cole but I’m not sure it was called Doomsday at that time.
Here’s what Wikipedia had- “The Doomsday Defense is often recognized as having two different "generations," but different listings of players and time periods exist. The original "Doomsday Defense" can generally be identified as the Cowboys' defenses from 1966 to 1974.” In this article, both Townes and Cole were mentioned as part of the original.

And from the site, Football data base,- “The Doomsday Defense is often recognized as having two different "generations," but there is no universally agreed-upon definition of exactly when those defenses existed or who their members were, which is why different listings of players and time periods exist. The original "Doomsday Defense" can generally be identified as the Cowboys' defenses from 1966 to 1975.“

quickccc

Reaction score
I know because the Dallas Cowboys front office kept those records even if the NFL didn’t officially. Even ESPN stated in a 2015 article that the Cowboys credit Pugh with leading the team in five straight seasons, topped by racking up 15.5 in 1968, and that he averaged 12.5 sacks over five seasons.

I saw Jethro Pugh play in person 4 times when I was a kid. He was a great player. Remember the rules were different back then and DL could use their hands differently than today.

which means just about any and every other NFL team could have a chosen player of their own
that want to have their own club record of 12-13 sacks a game as well.
Sounds like an exaggeration as If Pugh was getting 12 sacks a game, he would have
been an Hall of Famer in the same sense as Lilly.
i've heard past posters suggest " broadcasters " were giving such sack stats out as well.
Sad that NFL waited so damn long to finally start recording NFL sacks (which players use as contract leverage to this very day) as even more confusing as why NFL could not get their own official statisicians
to gather every recorded game on film since beginning of time in NFL history. But who knows how
full recorded or quality preserved those film games were.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
which means just about any and every other NFL team could have a chosen player of their own
that want to have their own club record of 12-13 sacks a game as well.
Sounds like an exaggeration as If Pugh was getting 12 sacks a game, he would have
been an Hall of Famer in the same sense as Lilly.
i've heard past posters suggest " broadcasters " were giving such sack stats out as well.
Sad that NFL waited so damn long to finally start recording NFL sacks (which players use as contract leverage to this very day) as even more confusing as why NFL could not get their own official statisicians
to gather every recorded game on film since beginning of time in NFL history. But who knows how
full recorded or quality preserved those film games were.
I understand what you’re saying. But the Cowboys have always kept sacks as a team since the 60s. If you choose not to believe the team when it says Jethro Pugh led the team in sacks for 5 straight years, it’s certainly your choice. But I have read in numerous places where Pugh was credited by the team to be the Cowboys sack leader for years.

Here are some examples of articles about Pugh’s career where his sacks are mentioned if you want to read them. Seem pretty credible to me:
You don’t have to agree with my assessment of Jethro Pugh. But I at least want you to have a look at why he was so respected.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here’s what Wikipedia had- “The Doomsday Defense is often recognized as having two different "generations," but different listings of players and time periods exist. The original "Doomsday Defense" can generally be identified as the Cowboys' defenses from 1966 to 1974.” In this article, both Townes and Cole were mentioned as part of the original.

And from the site, Football data base,- “The Doomsday Defense is often recognized as having two different "generations," but there is no universally agreed-upon definition of exactly when those defenses existed or who their members were, which is why different listings of players and time periods exist. The original "Doomsday Defense" can generally be identified as the Cowboys' defenses from 1966 to 1975.“
Yea, I recall Townes playing during that time but I certainly don’t recall any pics of them together or represented in such fashion with the others like Cole was.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Assuming Ware is a OLB and not DL

DE- Too Tall
DE- Harvey Martin
DT- Bob Lilly
DT- Randy White

honestly this is easy. There is not other acceptable answer to this question
There was another thread on this recently.

I only used guys I saw play, and I didnt see Lilly.

I saw Pugh in his final season, and he had to be on the team next to White.

Try figuring out who the next guy is after those three at DT and its stunning how difficult it is.

Same with finding 3 LB if you dont use Howley and Jordan.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st team
DE Charles Haley
DE Harvey Martin
DT Bob Lilly
DT Randy White

2nd team
DE Ed Too tall Jones
DE DLaw
DT Jay Ratliff
DT Jason Hatcher

Underrated
DE Jim Jeffcoat
DE Tony Tolbert
DT Tony Casillas
DT Laroi Glover

Overrated
DE Shante Carver
DE Ebenezar Ekuban
DT John Dutton
DT Russell Maryland

Note: * DWare was more of a OLB edge than DE; he'll be my OLB when that appears"soon"

Russell Maryland was the starting DT on 2 of the best rosters (92, 93) in the history of football. He was far from overrated.

Jason Hatcher is not qualified to carry Maryland's jock.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We did the Cowboy OL, now who do pick on the DL. Top 5 + 2nd Team....
Harvey Martin
Randy White
Bob Lilly
Too Tall

If depth is included I'll take the 92 or 93 Cowboys entire DL. They had backup backups that were better than than most teams starters.

Jimmie Jones, Chad Hennings and Leon Lett were better than later years starters like Jason Hatcher.

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
1st team
DE Charles Haley
DE Harvey Martin
DT Bob Lilly
DT Randy White

2nd team
DE Ed Too tall Jones
DE DLaw
DT Jay Ratliff
DT Jason Hatcher

Underrated
DE Jim Jeffcoat
DE Tony Tolbert
DT Tony Casillas
DT Laroi Glover

Overrated
DE Shante Carver
DE Ebenezar Ekuban
DT John Dutton
DT Russell Maryland

Note: * DWare was more of a OLB edge than DE; he'll be my OLB when that appears"soon"
I’d replace Haley with ETTJ. Otherwise, very solid choices.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
1st team
DE Charles Haley
DE Harvey Martin
DT Bob Lilly
DT Randy White

2nd team
DE Ed Too tall Jones
DE DLaw
DT Jay Ratliff
DT Jason Hatcher

Underrated
DE Jim Jeffcoat
DE Tony Tolbert
DT Tony Casillas
DT Laroi Glover

Overrated
DE Shante Carver
DE Ebenezar Ekuban
DT John Dutton
DT Russell Maryland

George Andrie is missing.

he should be in the HoF by now.

Reactions: BAT

quickccc

Reaction score
Harvey Martin
Randy White
Bob Lilly
Too Tall

If depth is included I'll take the 92 or 93 Cowboys entire DL. They had backup backups that were better than than most teams starters.

Jimmie Jones, Chad Hennings and Leon Lett were better than later years starters like Jason Hatcher.

Jimmie Jones nor Hennings were never became the impact players and eventual pro bowler Hatcher became.

Imo, Hatcher was misued under Wade Phillips as a limited rotational sub and it wasn't until Rob Ryan arrived that Hatcher was made a starter and eventual pro bowler starter.
Wade did not trust Hatch vs run, while Ryan saw hatch as a more impactful player
than a current incumbent.

Ryan anticipated that Hatcher would be a much more impact starter than Marcus Spears (ex-1st round pick in '05) who Hatch (ex-3rd rd pick '06) replaced in the lineup,..believe it or not, and Ryan was proven right.