Your all time DL?

cowboyec

Reaction score
Carver and Ekuban sucked and everyone knew it. How in the world can you call them overrated? I honestly can't recall even one time someone said they were good.
i was never a fan of shante carver...but i admit to being excited about Ekuban...liked him at n carolina.
thought he'd be better than he was.
i didnt like the carver pick at all.

kskboys

Reaction score
1st Team

Charles Haley, Randy White, Bob Lilly, Harvey Martin

2nd Team

Ed Jones, LaRoi Glover, Russel Maryland, DeMarcus Ware*

3rd Team:**

George Andrie, Jethro Pugh, Leon Lett, Jim Jeffcoat

*There were seasons where DeMarcus played a DE in a 4-3.

** Just too many good D-linemen required 3 deep recognition.
Great list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure I can think of anyone I could truly say you left out. Maybe Casillas, but he wasn't here for his entire career.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
I didn't read any of the posts in this thread, but here's mine in a standard 4-man front.

D-Ware - total no-brainier...
Mr. Cowboy
Manster
Sir Charles

Honorable mentions:

- Too Tall
- Leon Lett
- Harvey Martin
- Greg Elliss
- Taco!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I didn't read any of the posts in this thread, but here's mine in a standard 4-man front.

D-Ware - total no-brainier...
Mr. Cowboy
Manster
Sir Charles

Honorable mentions:

- Too Tall
- Leon Lett
- Harvey Martin
- Greg Elliss
- Taco!!!!!!
You don't think the lack of size in the middle would hurt you in the playoffs? I love both players, but they're both 3 tech types.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
You don't think the lack of size in the middle would hurt you in the playoffs? I love both players, but they're both 3 tech types.

But who would you suggest?

Leon Lett, Russel Maryland, Jayson Ratliff??

quickccc

Reaction score
Carver and Ekuban sucked and everyone knew it. How in the world can you call them overrated? I honestly can't recall even one time someone said they were good.

they were former first round picks, so very high expectatiions ..en route to "overrated"
thanks for sharing ... :D

quickccc

Reaction score
Would have loved to see Ismail and Irvin play together in the early 90's. Irvin, Harper and Ismail would have been very difficult for 90's defenses to defend

Alvin Harper was drafted the same year Ismail came out - we had two 1st round picks that year.
Maryland was No.1 overall while Harper ended up being the latter 1st rounder, If we would've been
able to come to an pre-draft agreement with Ismail as the No.1 overall pick, we would not have drafted
harper later on.

Ironically Irvin and Rocket eventually were on the same team (1999) , in what would end up being Irvin's last year
playing as a Cowboys via that awful turf in Philly that injured him en route to discovering an hidden chronic neck condition that threaten to paralyze should he continue playing (per medical doctors analysis)

Question of the Day:
Who would have been the better No.2 WR opposite Irvin ? Harper or Rocket ? :huh:

quickccc

Reaction score
Jethro Pugh averaged 12 sacks a season for nearly five years from something like 68-72. He was always overshadowed by the true greatness of Bob Lily.

how do we know Pugh averaged 12 sacks a game ?
Sack Records were not even official until the early 80's.
Doesn't "12 sacks " even surpass the perceived, suspected crazy sack numbers of Deacon Jones

and if Pugh was "12 sacks" per game,....then what was Lilly "18-23 " sacks per game ? :huh:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Alvin Harper was drafted the same year Ismail came out - we had two 1st round picks that year.
Maryland was No.1 overall while Harper ended up being the latter 1st rounder, If we would've been
able to come to an pre-draft agreement with Ismail as the No.1 overall pick, we would not have drafted
harper later on.

Ironically Irvin and Rocket eventually were on the same team (1999) , in what would end up being Irvin's last year
playing as a Cowboys via that awful turf in Philly that injured him en route to discovering an hidden chronic neck condition that threaten to paralyze should he continue playing (per medical doctors analysis)

Question of the Day:
Who would have been the better No.2 WR opposite Irvin ? Harper or Rocket ? :huh:
Hard to say. Rocket struggled to adjust to the NFL after the CFL. Would he have adjusted better with Dallas in the early 90's than he did with the Raiders in the mid 90's. Talent wise, Rocket had more to offer and could probably have been used alot more ways then Harper was. Harper's deep game was exceptional though

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan, if you’ve never heard of the GREAT Jethro Pugh, you need to review some history.
Yep. I always remember reading the story after he was selected that some reporter ask, I believe it was Landry, “what is a Jethro Pugh?”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't "12 sacks " even surpass the perceived, suspected crazy sack numbers of Deacon Jones

and if Pugh was "12 sacks" per game,....then what was Lilly "18-23 " sacks per game ? :huh:
I know because the Dallas Cowboys front office kept those records even if the NFL didn’t officially. Even ESPN stated in a 2015 article that the Cowboys credit Pugh with leading the team in five straight seasons, topped by racking up 15.5 in 1968, and that he averaged 12.5 sacks over five seasons.

I saw Jethro Pugh play in person 4 times when I was a kid. He was a great player. Remember the rules were different back then and DL could use their hands differently than today.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score

and if Pugh was "12 sacks" per game,....then what was Lilly "18-23 " sacks per game ? :huh:[/
Cowboys kept unofficial records of QB traps. Pugh's history comes from that.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
To the person who said "Who is Jethro Pugh?"
That is what all of Dallas asked when he was drafted out of a tiny school. He was a stud next to Bob Lilly. He averaged 12½ sacks during one amazing stretch of his career (1968–1972)

Worst DL: All # 1 busts:
Taco Charlton, Kevin Brooks, Shante Carver, Larry Bethea

Larry Bethea was not a bust. He filled in admirably when John Dutton was hurt.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
1st str
Too Tall Jones, Randy White, Bob Lilly, Charles Haley

2nd str
Jethro Pugh, John Dutton, Leon Lett, Harvey Martin

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not old enough to know him. Actually I never heard of him.
Fair enough. He was a very good player for a long time, and was with the team for all the Super Bowl games in the 1970's. Unfortunately he is linked to a bad moment in Cowboy history. In the 1967 NFL Championship game known as the "Ice Bowl", the Packers ran the ball up the middle with a few seconds left and Pugh was unable to hold is ground to keep the Packers from scoring the winning TD. I've heard some stories that Pugh sneezed just before the ball was snapped and that delayed him getting off the ball. I don't recall if that was confirmed or just speculation.

kskboys

Reaction score
they were former first round picks, so very high expectatiions ..en route to "overrated"
thanks for sharing ... :D
So, you mean overrated as draft picks. I'm not sure that's what this is about.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our original Doomsday

th