Your All Time Overrated Pet Cats

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
6'5", 211lbs safety from Florida State, Pat Watkins.

51qyzp0rUHL._AC_.jpg

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about the much venerated Dustin Vaughn back in 2015? An UFA QB was to some around here supposed to be a possible Romo successor. Out of the league a year later, lol.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
* it would ,for me, hands down & have to be:

#9 TONY ROMO

:yourock::welcome::yourock:

:bow::oldcouple::bow:

:thumbup:o_O:thumbup:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
* as I had him OVERRATED to damner' gridion godlike footballish hero status, unlike that of which the franchise he'd played for held view of him*:star:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This time of year is when “Pet Cat Disease” (or PCD) hits the strongest. You know the symptoms- Cowboys fans breaking into a cold sweat after watching a draft prospect’s overrated college highlight film, then falling in draft love with a mediocre pro prospect this team “has to have”. We were thrilled when they were drafted. We’ve all probably had at least 1 or 2 pet cats that turned out to be not that great.

Which leads me to ask: Who are the all time overrated Cowboys fans Pet Cats of the past? Here’s my short list:
  • Rico Gathers- a former basketball player drafted in the 6th round, projected as a TE. Gathers quickly became an OTA and preseason legend- especially against UFAs in preseason games. You know like a 175 lb safety from a directional mid-major school that would never make an NFL roster. I’ve never seen a more overrated player than Gathers, who stayed stashed on this roster for too long.
  • Beau Morgan- a former QB from Air Force who was being converted to RB in the Jimmy Johnson/Barry Switzer era. Morgan was an UFA who was essentially just a camp body who happened to lead the team in rushing in preseason. Which somehow convinced loads of fans that he was the real deal. Two straight preseasons Morgan led the team in rushing. And two straight Septembers, the Cowboys cut him, much to the pain of many Cowboys pet cat owners.
  • Alexander Wright- a former second round pick of the Cowboys in Jimmy’s second draft in 1990. Wright was drafted because of his 4.4 speed and nothing else. He was fast, but as the old sayings go, “He couldn’t catch a cold”, or “Couldn’t play dead in a western movie”. Fast doesn’t make you a football player. Wright’s best year as a Cowboy was his first, when he caught 11 passes. Was traded to the raiders in ‘92.
There are many more infamous overrated pet cats. Who’s on your list?
AOA. I was very high on before the 2010 draft. I was ecstatic we got him in the 4th. He was getting alot of buzz as a riser before then.

Very disappointed with how he turned out

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Reggie Robinson.

4th round dart throw was being screamed about as an immediate starter right after the draft. I could just about see the fallen faces when he didn't even play and was only active for like 5 games. And then switched to S!!!!!!!!!! I think some people are still crying.
He was your pet cat last year?

I don't remember him being mentioned as anyones target here before the draft. I just think he was a guy people oversold themselves on when he was drafted

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I really think people have some differing ideas as to what a pet cat is.

Later round picks. Might be because they are from our hometown. Had crazy stats against inferior competition. Overcame major obstacles. Had one trait that was superb.

Pat McQuistan? I don't think anyone ever hyped that guy as being more than a journeyman.

Matt Johnson and Justin Berriault are perfect examples. Maybe even David Buehler. The QB a few years back that had the trick shot videos. Isaiah Stanback. Woody Dantzler. Ben Bass. Phil Costa. These were late rounders or free agents that got hyped and never made their mark. Chad Hutchinson probably fits. Romo certainly qualifies as a pet cat. Not sure I would call him overrated because he became a Pro Bowl level QB.

coult44

Reaction score
I was a Romo guy since his sophomore year in college. As soon as i seen him play I wanted him to be a Cowboy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
although before Jerry owned the team, this is the kind of thinking that had Dallas draft Carl Lewis.

12th round pick. I'll take a world dominant sprinter like Lewis any day of the week. Doesn't pan out, oh well.

Bob Hayes was a 7th rounder. Staubach a 10th rounder. Take a chance on a world-class athlete, and it can pay off big. Piddling risk, potential huge returns. No brainer.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Costa started every game in 2011. For an UDFA, that's making your mark.

But the thread is about whether they were overrated or not. I don't really think Costa was over-rated. He did good for an UDFA. No one claimed he was a Pro Bowler or a difference maker. Which would be what you need for your pet cat to be over-rated. Many thought Matt Johnson was going to revolutionize the S position....he barely hit the field. That is over-rated.

kskboys

Reaction score
He was your pet cat last year?

I don't remember him being mentioned as anyones target here before the draft. I just think he was a guy people oversold themselves on when he was drafted
Sorry, wasn't clear on that. He wasn't my pet cat, as you said, the hoopla on him around here was incredible. I saw many listing him as an immediate starter.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sorry, wasn't clear on that. He wasn't my pet cat, as you said, the hoopla on him around here was incredible. I saw many listing him as an immediate starter.
I think people just got carried away with his write ups and some highlights. He is kinda of the quintessential " Im gonna psyche myself up for a mid round player I want to be good" player. The year before it was the Jacksons

FaSho

Reaction score
Hard to call guys Overrated when their careers were detailed by injury before starting. So I disagree on guys like Matt Johnson, Beriault, Radway, etc.

I'll go with Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Ben Gardner, Tashard Choice.

Though, I could think of endless rbs and wrs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
IDK, man, he was a terrible player.

He was a poor starter. Had his big game against the Ravens, then broke. I thought he was working his way into less horrible.

But it really could have been terrible if Romo wasn't such a good shortstop. The Mystery Snaps were at least entertaining. Though I think one gave Romo one of his all time highlites.

He was a gym rat who was getting better. We had worse guys playing on our olines. Some of the problem for Costa was that they were playing next to him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think people just got carried away with his write ups and some highlights. He is kinda of the quintessential " Im gonna psyche myself up for a mid round player I want to be good" player. The year before it was the Jacksons
Fans getting carried away by hype about one of our players? Here on this forum? Surely not!