Your All Time Overrated Pet Cats

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Mine were Matt Johnson Duh , Tony Romo , Dak Prescott ,I am sure forgetting a few,

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
How have I contradicted Myself?
I know that it's over 40 years old because that's when I 1st heard it, it could date to the 16th century or it could be far more modern I don't know and it may or may not be sports specific, again, I don't know, what I do know for certain is that it predates the internet and therefore this forum.

Let me quote you so you can see how you contradicted yourself. "it's origins might even predate the sports existence" and then you said and I'll quote you "over 40 years ago in relation to a Cricket player on a BBC commentary" . First you say it predates sports and then say you heard it involving the SPORT of cricket. Now even if what you said it true, 40 years ago IN THIS COUNTRY cricket might have been mention in sports maybe 3 times total in a year and certainly the possibility of pet cat being used once on the BBC 40 years ago does not qualify the term pet cat being a common place use of the term on a regular basis making it a well known idiom. I remember about 30 or 35 years ago a game announcer once referred to the cardinals LBs were like a bunch of sea gulls attacking food on the beach but I've never heard LB's referred to as a flock of sea gulls again. Using a term once doesn't make it common usage.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
G, I think you’ve clearly established you haven’t heard of the term pet cat. Well, now you have. I learn something every day on this site I didn’t know. Learning is fun!
:thumbup:

I've already said that the ONLY place I've ever seen that term is here, but that in no way makes it a commonly used term. To me a commonly used term is something that can be used anywhere and people will know what it is. So if I go to some other user site, say like another team's site or in a sports related article on like FOX News channel and throw pet cat out there others are going to say it been commonly used for a long time?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've already said that the ONLY place I've ever seen that term is here, but that in no way makes it a commonly used term. To me a commonly used term is something that can be used anywhere and people will know what it is. So if I go to some other user site, say like another team's site or in a sports related article on like FOX News channel and throw pet cat out there others are going to say it been commonly used for a long time?
Here’s a direct quote from the article below, which I have posted a link...

“Every year a few players stand out during OTAs and training camps, earning the title of “pet cats”. Here are some potential 2018 Dallas Cowboys pet cats.
Several years ago, Bill Parcells coined the term “pet cat”. A pet cat is lesser-regarded player (low draft pick or undrafted altogether) who somehow endears himself to coaches, fans media, etc… We see these fan-favorites every year – guys like Tony Romo, Xavier Woods, and Damien Wilson were former “pet cats” who have become impact players.

But before we begin, let’s make it clear that usually a “pet cat” is not a player picked in the first four rounds. It can be, but it is usually not. In this case we will look from the fifth round on.”

The whole article is linked below.
https://sportdfw.com/2018/05/22/dallas-cowboys-introducing-the-2018-pet-cats/

If you Google “Pet Cat”, there several sports articles that reference that term.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
:( Sad day in the neighborhood when we can put up 4 pages and not one mention for poor Li'l Jeff Heath.
Sadly, Heath is better than what we had on the roster last year..... he was what he was, a back up Saftey forced to be a starter. No one ever claimed he was going to be any good

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In Lafleur’s case— the guy had ALL the measure-ables and more than looked the part of a dominant TE.

I can’t blame Troy for getting infatuated with a prospect like that considering the success he had with Novacek
He was tall and big and Aikman liked him. he was primarily a blocking TE, moved like a tree trunk

Londonboy

Reaction score
Let me quote you so you can see how you contradicted yourself. "it's origins might even predate the sports existence" and then you said and I'll quote you "over 40 years ago in relation to a Cricket player on a BBC commentary" . First you say it predates sports and then say you heard it involving the SPORT of cricket. Now even if what you said it true, 40 years ago IN THIS COUNTRY cricket might have been mention in sports maybe 3 times total in a year and certainly the possibility of pet cat being used once on the BBC 40 years ago does not qualify the term pet cat being a common place use of the term on a regular basis making it a well known idiom. I remember about 30 or 35 years ago a game announcer once referred to the cardinals LBs were like a bunch of sea gulls attacking food on the beach but I've never heard LB's referred to as a flock of sea gulls again. Using a term once doesn't make it common usage.
Firstly I clearly said I don't know it's origins or age and never claimed that I did, I never said it predates Football, merely that it might, not an unreasonable possibility given that most phrases in use have historical origins well before the 20th century, the phrase "might even predate football" means exactly that.
The cricket instance 40+ years ago was the 1st of a dozen or more times I've heard it used over the years, it was also clearly understood by His fellow commentators, which means it was in common use at the time in England or they would have been saying "huh, what do you mean?" instead of carrying on and expanding his point.
All I'm trying to do is show You that the phrase has nothing to do with this forum beyond being widely used by it's members.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think about it this way, what is the most polarizing pet animal? The cat, hands down. I know people that hate cats but seldom hear someone hates dogs, birds or fish.

So, you hate cats but you haven't met my pet cat, you would love him because he's not like other cats.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Here’s a direct quote from the article below, which I have posted a link...

“Every year a few players stand out during OTAs and training camps, earning the title of “pet cats”. Here are some potential 2018 Dallas Cowboys pet cats.
Several years ago, Bill Parcells coined the term “pet cat”. A pet cat is lesser-regarded player (low draft pick or undrafted altogether) who somehow endears himself to coaches, fans media, etc… We see these fan-favorites every year – guys like Tony Romo, Xavier Woods, and Damien Wilson were former “pet cats” who have become impact players.

But before we begin, let’s make it clear that usually a “pet cat” is not a player picked in the first four rounds. It can be, but it is usually not. In this case we will look from the fifth round on.”

The whole article is linked below.
https://sportdfw.com/2018/05/22/dallas-cowboys-introducing-the-2018-pet-cats/

If you Google “Pet Cat”, there several sports articles that reference that term.

Where as I don't remember ever hearing it, I do now sit corrected.

RS12

Reaction score
Who could forget the dynamic duo of John "trash can full of rocks" Nix and Willie "pants pooper" Blade 20 years ago?

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Shante Carver, 1st Round, 1994.
Carver is listed as one of the worst draft picks in Cowboys history on plenty of fan websites.

He only had 55 tackles in four seasons as a Cowboy. Carver was almost a waste of space for the Cowboys, but he was a big body who took up a lot of space. He just did not see it that way.

RS12

Reaction score
Shante Carver, 1st Round, 1994.
Carver is listed as one of the worst draft picks in Cowboys history on plenty of fan websites.

He only had 55 tackles in four seasons as a Cowboy. Carver was almost a waste of space for the Cowboys, but he was a big body who took up a lot of space. He just did not see it that way.
Wasn't Carver the guy who unbeknownst to the Cowboys was times for a 35 yard dash instead of 40 thereby making him look way more athletic than he was ?

tm1119

Reaction score
Don’t feel like reading all 6 pages...but I remember Ben Bass being a training camp hero for a couple years in a row.

And I will say that Bradley Anae is already slowly getting there...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t feel like reading all 6 pages...but I remember Ben Bass being a training camp hero for a couple years in a row.

And I will say that Bradley Anae is already slowly getting there...
Ben Bass was all over pages 1-5, you should have read'em. The son of Earnest T. Bass.