Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Red Dragon
The Conjuring 1/2
Perfection
Texas Chainsaws w R.Lee Ermy
Breakdown
Terrifier (nothing groundbreaking but love it, cult classic type thing)
Terrifier is great. :thumbup:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My list of top 5 remakes:

1. Night of the Living Dead- I think this 1990 flick has everything a remake should have: A familiar story but not the EXACT same story. The characters were fleshed out enough to be interesting. The special effects were very good. Just a great remake that should receive more attention.
2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre- R. Lee Ermy was great.
3. The Hills Have Eyes- A brutal story but great special effects and a strong ending.
4. I Spit On Your Grave- Another brutal story. The actress did a great job and the "bad guys" earned the right to be rudely exterminated. The film must have clicked with a segment of the audience in that there were two additional films made and a sequel to the original "I Spit."
5. Dawn of the Dead. Sometimes this film is in my top-5 and sometime it ain't. The first half of the film is terrific. It just goes down hill some after they (the group) decides to leave the mall.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My list of the bottom 5 horror film remakes:

1. Halloween- Rob Zombie make a POS. Just a horrible film IMO.
2. Black Christmas- Just a dreg of a picture featuring incest and a story that I couldn't buy into.
3. The Fog- Talk about totally missing the mark set by the original.
4. The Evil Dead- See my explanation for disliking The Fog.
5. Nightmare on Elm Street- Freddy just isn't the same without Robert Englund.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Boy oh boy, from '79 until about '86 there were so many better than average horror films put out.

Never an era like it before or after.

Too lazy to look it up but I think that was a Tobe Hooper (of "Texas Chainsaw" fame) film.

The film didn't get a lot of attention at the time. I watched it at midnight show.

I believe the actress who played the "final girl" quit acting after that film.

It's a solid horror flick.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another couple of horror films from that era that are not well known but are pretty good are...

"Hell Night" staring Linda Blair and "Humongous".

You combine those two with "Funhouse" and you've got a terrific 3 pack of horror films from the early 80's.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Another couple of horror films from that era that are not well known but are pretty good are...

"Hell Night" staring Linda Blair and "Humongous".

You combine those two with "Funhouse" and you've got a terrific 3 pack of horror films from the early 80's.

Throw Prophecy in there and you got a grand slam :thumbup:

quickccc

Reaction score

Most Influential Horror Film Directors of All time:

Who do you think has/had been the most influential director of Horror films that we’ve experienced ?

Wes Craven Nightmare Elm Street, Scream, Serpent-Rainbow, Last house- left, vampire in Brooklyn

George Romero zombie apocalypse- Night/Dawn/Day of dead, creepshow, Crazies

James Wan - Saw, the Conjuring

Tom Holland - fright night, child’s play, thinner,

John Carpenter - Halloween, the Thing, Vampires, the Fog,In mouth of Madness, village of the Damned

Stanley Kubrick clockwork orange, the shining

Sam Raimi - Evil dead, 30 days of night,dead by dawn, the grudge,Crawl, drag me to hell,

Gullermo Del Toro the Strain, crimson peak, pan's Labryith, Blade

Roger Corman – Silent of the Lambs, House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum, Little shop of Horrors, A bucket of Blood,

David Croenenberg scanners, dead zone, the fly, Rabid, history of violence

Alfred Hitchcock - Psycho, the Birds, vertigo, man who knew to much

Clive Barker - hellraisier, nightbreed, rawHead Rex, candy man, lord of illusions

Brian De Palma - Carrie, Dressed to Kill

David Lynch - Elephant man, lost highway, Mullholland Drive, Nadja

Steve Miner - Friday 13th, left house on the left

Lucio Fulci - City of living dead (aka Gates of Hell) zombie, zombie2, house by cementary, demonia,

Joe Dante – Piranha, the Howling

Rob Zombie – House of 1000 Corpses, Devil Rejects

John Landis – American Werewolf in London, Into the Night

Eli Roth – Hostel, Cabin Fever

M. Night Shyamalan – Sixth Sense, Signs, the Village

Takashi Miike – Audition, Ichi

Michael Haneke – Funny Games, Hidden

quickccc

Reaction score

Who do you think has/had been the most influential director of Horror films that we’ve experienced ?

Wes Craven Nightmare Elm Street, Scream, Serpent-Rainbow, Last house- left, vampire in Brooklyn

John Carpenter - Halloween, the Thing, Vampires, the Fog,In mouth of Madness, village of the Damned

Sam Raimi - Evil dead, 30 days of night,dead by dawn, the grudge,Crawl, drag me to hell,

Roger Corman – Silent of the Lambs, House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum, Little shop of Horrors, A bucket of Blood,

Clive Barker - hellraisier, nightbreed, rawHead Rex, candy man, lord of illusions

Lucio Fulci - City of living dead (aka Gates of Hell) zombie, zombie2, house by cementary, demonia,

and sorry for the Stephen King fans . from what i understand Stephen was author and writer, ..not a movie director

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Throw Prophecy in there and you got a grand slam :thumbup:

Oh boy!

Re-watched that the other day...

Great film. Great acting. Good jump-scares. The special effects were decent. And the story was believable.

Out of all the different niches found within horror... Vampires... Zombies... Ghosts... Werewolves... It's always been the "creatures" that could scare me the most.

Why?

I always felt they were OR COULD BE the most believable.

Vampires... Werewolves... I just couldn't buy into "Hey these things could be real". Not that I didn't enjoy a good vampire, werewolf or zombie flick. They just didn't scare me like a "creature" film like say this film or "Jaws".

When I was young went to see "Legend of Boggy Creek" and that movie scared the bejesus out of me.

It just so happened during the late 60's, early 70's there was a host of big foot, sasquatch, abdominal snowman type articles, news reports and documentaries out there, which of course gave the genre a least a little credence as being "real".

Anyway animal/creature flicks have worked me over ever since.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and sorry for the Stephen King fans . from what i understand Stephen was author and writer, ..not a movie director

The only film he may have directed (too lazy to look it up) I believe was "Maximum Overdrive", in which King admits he was stoned for much of it... Sort of explains the movie. lol

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Many great directors there.

Even though he didn't write "Scream" Craven directed it. It brought the slasher genre back to life.

I think the last 1/2 hour of Scream is pure horror excellence. As good as any last 1/2 hour of any horror film.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh boy!

Re-watched that the other day...

Great film. Great acting. Good jump-scares. The special effects were decent. And the story was believable.

Out of all the different niches found within horror... Vampires... Zombies... Ghosts... Werewolves... It's always been the "creatures" that could scare me the most.

Why?

I always felt they were OR COULD BE the most believable.

Vampires... Werewolves... I just couldn't buy into "Hey these things could be real". Not that I didn't enjoy a good vampire, werewolf or zombie flick. They just didn't scare me like a "creature" film like say this film or "Jaws".

When I was young went to see "Legend of Boggy Creek" and that movie scared the bejesus out of me.

It just so happened during the late 60's, early 70's there was a host of big foot, sasquatch, abdominal snowman type articles, news reports and documentaries out there, which of course gave the genre a least a little credence as being "real".

Anyway animal/creature flicks have worked me over ever since.
Yep, yep yep, same here, love me some creatures and monsters but the ones that always got me were the human sized ones that could fit under the bed or in the closet and hide behind doors.

And speaking of under the bed, and I was, the original "Body Snatchers" scared me so much as a kid that for a year I would wake up and check under the bed to make sure my parents hadn't placed a pod there because I assumed they would prefer a better and more controllable version of me.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Dont know if I have a favorite, I do have some that freaked me out as a kid, like the Phantasm movies:

The first Halloween is always a fun watch and scared the crap out of me as a kid

There was also a movie I remember watching as a kid that scared the bejesus out of me but I cant remember the name. It was about some lady that lived in a house and there was some creepy looking thing living in the fireplace or somewhere in her house. Seems like no one believed her and the thing eventually killed her.

Any idea what movie I'm referring to? It had to be in the 70's