Your favorite Horror Movies ever

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Descent movies were two of my favorites but only on DVD, my claustrophobia would win out in a dark theater and when I watch them at home, I have a breeze from a fan blowing in my face.

My claustrophobia didn't really show up until I was in my 50's but it was there just waiting. There was a movie made with Ray Milland, "Premature Burial" and the shots of him in the coffin made me anxious when I saw that as a kid but only when that was on the screen but I didn't realize why.

My Mom was very claustrophobic but that didn't show up until she was pregnant with me and I've wondered if phobias can be hereditary and lie dormant for so long and an event unlock them. Mine got unlocked getting on a small plane from Harrisburg to Albany and I had to get off and drive and it took me an hour to come down from the feeling that hit me on that plane and I had to turn the AC on my face.

quickccc

Reaction score
Spoiler Alert. The Mist

I think the perfect horror movie ever written is The Mist. It has all of the elements, child in danger, creatures that you really can't make out, the real horror - human beings and the perfect ending for a horror movie, the ultimate horror. Stephen King was very familiar with Frank Darabont's screenwriting as he'd done The Green Mile and Shawshank but even he was apprehensive about how Darabont wanted change the ending to complete the horror. We saw this in the theater and I've never seen an audience reaction like that, we all just sat there and I heard some people say "that's not the ending, that wasn't in the book" and they were angry. Think about it, being out horrored by the master of all time. What a ballsy move and a tip of the old horror hat to Darabont for one of the best gotchya's of all time in the theater.

I hear the book's version was quite different that than finale ending that the movie had. Some did not care for the movie ending, but I loved it in that it was unpredictable and couldn't see that
kind of " oh, wow' ending coming. The series show was underwhelming seemed to drag on and make less sense the more the series went on, and I could see how it was cancelled.
But I really liked the movie version.
- and don't forget the religious fanatic mania that was stirred up in this frightful panic atmosphere and its surprising fanatic leader that tried to take over the show.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Red Dragon
The Conjuring 1/2
Perfection
Texas Chainsaws w R.Lee Ermy
Breakdown
Terrifier (nothing groundbreaking but love it, cult classic type thing)

quickccc

Reaction score
Red Dragon
The Conjuring 1/2
Perfection
Breakdown

is Breakdown the one that has kurt russell and the late JT Walsh ? stuck (sabotaged) on the road and his wife kidnapped ?
When i see Duel with Dennis Weaver, i always think of Breakdown too.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
is Breakdown the one that has kurt russell and the late JT Walsh ? stuck (sabotaged) on the road and his wife kidnapped ?
When i see Duel with Dennis Weaver, i always think of Breakdown too.
Yep Kurt Russell in rural Arizona. I thought the premise was pretty believable (the plot, not that bank scene so much). But the idea of vanishing off the side of the HW, whole town seemingly in on it, etc. I hadn't known of Walsh's passing, he was great and very believable, RIP. That scene in his barn where his wife finds out what he had been doing for years was pretty cold.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I hear the book's version was quite different that than finale ending that the movie had. Some did not care for the movie ending, but I loved it in that it was unpredictable and couldn't see that
kind of " oh, wow' ending coming. The series show was underwhelming seemed to drag on and make less sense the more the series went on, and I could see how it was cancelled.
- and don't forget the religious fanatic mania that was stirred up in this frightful panic atmosphere and its surprising fanatic leader that tried to take over the show.
Oh yeah...that ending was messed up smh but a great twist. Everyone watching..."oh no, oh no, oh noooo":oops:

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Yep Kurt Russell in rural Arizona. I thought the premise was pretty believable (the plot, not that bank scene so much). But the idea of vanishing off the side of the HW, whole town seemingly in on it, etc. I hadn't known of Walsh's passing, he was great and very believable, RIP. That scene in his barn where his wife finds out what he had been doing for years was pretty cold.

I liked two scenes that were toward the ending,
1) when kurt Russell kicked JT Walsh into that cabinet which the kidnapped wife was being held.,..

2) and when Russell caught Walsh's chain in the fight over the bridge,,and the look on Walsh's face before he was hurled 30 feet down to the rocks,
..followed by the wife making the diesel truck crush Walsh as well.

quickccc

Reaction score
Red Dragon
The Conjuring 1/2
Perfection
Breakdown

I really loved the first Conjuring film, ..simply one of the creepiest, on the edge of your seat movies I've ever seen.
Creepiest movie since the Exorcist.

the 2nd Conjuring, I was luke warm with, they tried to bring the creepiness back but the Maryln Manson- Nun look was a
and the cartoonish looking Clown in the Jack in the Box scenes were a big letdown and non-convincing. and I did not
like the ending either.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Wolfman ( Lon Chaney Jr. )
Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman ( Lon Chaney Jr. )
Motel Hell
Tourist Trap
The Wolfman ( Benicio Del Toro )
Evil Dead ( Bruce Campbell )

Evil Dead joins Exorcist, City of the Living Dead (Gates of Hell) the Conjuring, Dawn of the Dead and Arachnidphobia
among the very creepiest spine chilling movies I've ever seen.

Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn was clearly geared towards the way over the top comical side and a different way of delivering
a sequel that was still very fun to watch and consider it a cult classic.

I loved Del Toro's Wolfman version, the heavy blood gore may be way too much for some viewers but to the horror fans
that endear to special effects and violent blood gore, and most of all werewolf movies, it was a great popcorn flick to me.
In fact its easily one of my favorite werewolf movies.

quickccc

Reaction score
My list of best sequel horror films (for today only because the list could change tomorrow)...
1. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
2. Aliens
3. Evil Dead 2
4. Bride of Frankenstein
5. Halloween 2 (1981)
6. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1982)
7. The Revenge of Frankenstein (Hammer)
8. Phantasm 2
9. Hellraiser 2
10. The Descent 2

Great List ! here's a look at My Sequel horror films:

1. Aliens (Sci- Fi or Horror ? but easily the best of all the Alien flicks)
2. Dawn of the Dead
3. Underworld Evolution
4 Fright Night 2
5 Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
6 Blade 2
7 Jaws 2
8 Final Destination 2
9 Jeepers Creepers 2
10) Nightmare on Elm Street: Dream Warriors

Honorable Mentions:
28 Weeks Later,
Creepshow 2,
Hellraiser 2: Hellbound,
Poltergeist 2: the other side

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what freaked King out a little when Darabount shared his screenplay and to freak him out, you've got to try really hard.

But Marcia Gay Harden's character and the way they turned to her was the second horror and Darabount's ending, the ultimate horror. I was hoping he'd want to do a prequel or sequel to that because I thought it was about perfect and really captured King's penchant for showing the human condition when horror presents itself, he's the master. Just like him dealing with his own horrors as a kid, he writes to purge himself of his horror. His interpretation isn't just about horror but that thing about life "it isn't what happens to us, it's what we do about it".

I watched it again last night and that gotchya in the end is one of the best ever. Especially when you consider the source of that material and how he even one upped the master.

I also think this was a major influencer of the Duffer brothers in creating "Stranger Things", they just decided to give us a peek on the other side.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh yeah...that ending was messed up smh but a great twist. Everyone watching..."oh no, oh no, oh noooo":oops:
We saw this in theater and the reaction was more shock, particularly from those familiar King's story. And when you think about it, who would expect anyone to one up Stephen King on an ending? There were some pissed off people around us and I can remember the backlash from quite a few.

The really cool thing about it was the 5 people he had in that vehicle and you have to look quickly to cath the first to leave because she had to get to her 8 year old watching the baby, we'd all given them up, especially after seeing what happened at Jane's house.

"The Mist" provided more of what I wanted from "In the Mouth of Madness" and "Cabin in the Woods", I wanted to know more about the monsters. The kid in me needs monsters.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger today for the Amazon $19.99 4K + BD + Digital set of The Shining (1980).
cool.png

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
We saw this in theater and the reaction was more shock, particularly from those familiar King's story. And when you think about it, who would expect anyone to one up Stephen King on an ending? There were some pissed off people around us and I can remember the backlash from quite a few.

The really cool thing about it was the 5 people he had in that vehicle and you have to look quickly to cath the first to leave because she had to get to her 8 year old watching the baby, we'd all given them up, especially after seeing what happened at Jane's house.

"The Mist" provided more of what I wanted from "In the Mouth of Madness" and "Cabin in the Woods", I wanted to know more about the monsters. The kid in me needs monsters.
I saw at home and went in fresh so the ending definitely wasn't expected. My fellow viewing audience weren't much of the learned type either :D "Damn, good twist" I haven't seen the last scene in awhile but will youtube that part to see what you're talking about.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Agreed on wanting to know more about the monsters. I thought "In the Mouth" and "Cabin" were both very good films but were short of being classics.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pulled the trigger today for the Amazon $19.99 4K + BD + Digital set of The Shining (1980).
cool.png

Good purchase!

I wish the deleted scenes from "The Shining" would show up at some point (supposedly they were burned by Stanley Kubrick).

However we do have a couple stills of Wendy and Doc in the hospital meeting with the manager of the Overlook. He offers them the opportunity to stay in his apartment in San Diego to recuperate... He tells Wendy that they did not find Jack's body and then proceeds to give Doc the tennis ball Jack had been throwing against the wall.