Your favorite Horror Movies ever

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had posted earlier in this thread about "Carnival of Souls" and how it's an underrated horror flick that everyone should watch once.

Anyway I quite often visit the web site of Bill James, the baseball statistics god-father.

Bill quite often fields questions that are not baseball related– like this one concerning "Carnival of Souls"...

Hey Bill,

I watched "Carnival of Souls", a pretty good 1962 horror film made in Lawrence, Kansas.

Have you seen it? Thoughts?

Asked by: BrianNash
Answered: 10/17/2019

I've never actually seen it. My understanding is that, while much of the film was filmed in Lawrence, some of it was actually filmed in Colorado and Utah.

The guy who made the film, Harvey something I think his name was.. .the film did NOTHING at the time that it was made. He stayed in Lawrence and started a company that made stuff like training films for the US Army and educational films like they used to show you in high school classes when the teacher needed a day off. In 1977-1978 I lived in an apartment that was like 60 feet from the building that was the headquarters of this company that made the films. . .forget the name of it now.

Many years later that film "hit"; it went into vogue. It was named by several critics as one of the best films ever made, and at the end of the 20th century there was a poll of critics which listed that as one of the 100 most important films of the 20th century. Harvey whatever-his-name was was by now in his 60s, about retirement age; he sold his film company and went to Hollywood to try to pick up his long-delayed dream of being a Hollywood film director, but I don't think anything ever happened for him.

I wrote about him a little bit in the Kansas book. Still trying to find a publishe

quickccc

Reaction score
I had posted earlier in this thread about "Carnival of Souls" and how it's an underrated horror flick that everyone should watch once.

Anyway I quite often visit the web site of Bill James, the baseball statistics god-father.

Bill quite often fields questions that are not baseball related– like this one concerning "Carnival of Souls"...

Hey Bill,

I watched "Carnival of Souls", a pretty good 1962 horror film made in Lawrence, Kansas.

Have you seen it? Thoughts?

Asked by: BrianNash
Answered: 10/17/2019

I've never actually seen it. My understanding is that, while much of the film was filmed in Lawrence, some of it was actually filmed in Colorado and Utah.

The guy who made the film, Harvey something I think his name was.. .the film did NOTHING at the time that it was made. He stayed in Lawrence and started a company that made stuff like training films for the US Army and educational films like they used to show you in high school classes when the teacher needed a day off. In 1977-1978 I lived in an apartment that was like 60 feet from the building that was the headquarters of this company that made the films. . .forget the name of it now.

Many years later that film "hit"; it went into vogue. It was named by several critics as one of the best films ever made, and at the end of the 20th century there was a poll of critics which listed that as one of the 100 most important films of the 20th century. Harvey whatever-his-name was was by now in his 60s, about retirement age; he sold his film company and went to Hollywood to try to pick up his long-delayed dream of being a Hollywood film director, but I don't think anything ever happened for him.

I wrote about him a little bit in the Kansas book. Still trying to find a publishe

yeh, I've seen it, thanks for the recommendation, but Carnival of Souls ..just wasn't not my cup of tea,
I saw it as more of a tale of a pretty young lady who managed to escape death but also came up with a case of mind driven hallucination. but it wasn't creepy or macabre
enough for me.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
1) Halloween (orig)
2) Friday the 13th (orig)
3) The Exorcist
4) The Thing '82
5) 28 Days Later
6) The Descent
7) The Ring
8) Candyman
9) REC
10) Nightmare on Elm Street (orig)

Horror movies people may not have seen, but should:

You're Next
Kill List
Hell House LLC
Eden Lake
Inside
Creep (1 and 2)
Train to Busan
Pontypool
The Babysitter
Grave Encounters
Session 9
The Invitation

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
In the spirit of Halloween - what are your top, favorite HORROR movie films ever.. ! :eek:

this is MY top list:

1- The Exorcist
2- The City of the Living Dead (aka Gates of Hell)
3 - Evil Dead
4 - The Conjuring
5 - Lights Out
6 - Dawn of the Dead
7 - Dog Soldiers
8 - Fright Night 2
9 - Aliens 2
10 - Let the Right One in
14 - Carrie
15 - the Howling
16 - Arachnidphobia
17 - 28 weeks Later
18 - Dead Alive
19 - Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
20 - John Carpenters Vampires
Good list.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Fever Lake.
It has Corey Haim, Bo Something and AC Slater!

220px-Fever_Lake_Corey_Haim_Mario_Lopez.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My top "black & white horror movies" list...

1. Frankenstein
2. Night of the Living Dead
3. The Thing From Another World
4. Bride of Frankenstein
5. Dracula
6. Werewolf of London
7. The Invisible Man
8. The Wolf Man
9. Son of Frankenstein
10.It the Terror From Beyond Space

sulu1701

Reaction score
The Wolfman ( Lon Chaney Jr. )
Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman ( Lon Chaney Jr. )
Motel Hell
Tourist Trap
The Wolfman ( Benicio Del Toro )
Evil Dead ( Bruce Campbell )

kmp77

Reaction score
Pumpkin Head
Psycho
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Evil Dead I & II
28 Days Later
The Wicker Man
The Others

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spoiler Alert. The Mist

I think the perfect horror movie ever written is The Mist. It has all of the elements, child in danger, creatures that you really can't make out, the real horror - human beings and the perfect ending for a horror movie, the ultimate horror. Stephen King was very familiar with Frank Darabont's screenwriting as he'd done The Green Mile and Shawshank but even he was apprehensive about how Darabont wanted change the ending to complete the horror. We saw this in the theater and I've never seen an audience reaction like that, we all just sat there and I heard some people say "that's not the ending, that wasn't in the book" and they were angry. Think about it, being out horrored by the master of all time. What a ballsy move and a tip of the old horror hat to Darabont for one of the best gotchya's of all time in the theater.

sulu1701

Reaction score
Spoiler Alert. The Mist

I think the perfect horror movie ever written is The Mist. It has all of the elements, child in danger, creatures that you really can't make out, the real horror - human beings and the perfect ending for a horror movie, the ultimate horror. Stephen King was very familiar with Frank Darabont's screenwriting as he'd done The Green Mile and Shawshank but even he was apprehensive about how Darabont wanted change the ending to complete the horror. We saw this in the theater and I've never seen an audience reaction like that, we all just sat there and I heard some people say "that's not the ending, that wasn't in the book" and they were angry. Think about it, being out horrored by the master of all time. What a ballsy move and a tip of the old horror hat to Darabont for one of the best gotchya's of all time in the theater.
Wasn't that the remake of The Fog ?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spoiler Alert. The Mist

Great movie!

Yep, the ending was just a ball-buster... For many movies, that would make for a bad movie experience– But not for this one.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My list of best sequel horror films (for today only because the list could change tomorrow)...
1. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
2. Aliens
3. Evil Dead 2
4. Bride of Frankenstein
5. Halloween 2 (1981)
6. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1982)
7. The Revenge of Frankenstein (Hammer)
8. Phantasm 2
9. Hellraiser 2
10. The Descent 2

kmp77

Reaction score
Spoiler Alert. The Mist

I agree. I love that movie. My ONLY gripe is I wish they'd have put in 2-3 minutes between the 'gun scene' and the 'tank scene' at the end. 1:20 was just a big too quick for me. When they see the colossal beast....the imagery, music, setting, just stuck with me. One of my favorite pieces of cinema ever...a true holy %#@!%@ moment.

Then I watched the Mist tv show......some aspects were ok but nowhere near the level of filmmaking. No monsters, creatures, etc. Such a miss when it wouldn't have taken much to make it better.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then I watched the Mist tv show......some aspects were ok but nowhere near the level of filmmaking. No monsters, creatures, etc. Such a miss when it wouldn't have taken much to make it better.

The premise of the TV show was a disaster IMO.

Turning the mist into a sort of spiritual entity was a "car wreck".

I'd love to see "The Mist" prequel where the army starts and fulfills the "Arrowhead Project" and then all heck breaks loose.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The premise of the TV show was a disaster IMO.

Turning the mist into a sort of spiritual entity was a "car wreck".

I'd love to see "The Mist" prequel where the army starts and fulfills the "Arrowhead Project" and then all heck breaks loose.
Think "The Mist" didn't influence the creators of "Stranger Things"?