Your Favorite Pink Floyd Song

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
For me, it's that (other than Peart) their music is too formulaic for the hype they get.

Ok your in time out for that :laugh:

I wouldn't call them formulaic at all.
Xanadu..
Cygnus Books 1 and 2
A Farewell to Kings
Natural Science
The Fountain of Lamneth.
Cold Fire
Dreamline
Subdivisions
Time Stand Still.
Vital Signs
The Camera Eye.
La Villa Strangiato.
Freewill
and countless more, everything from tracks that are 10-20 mins in length with different time signatures/sections to tracks that were compact and radio friendly. I love Zep, the Beatles and CVH but Rush are truly unique. 40 years, with no drama or childish nonsense and tons of great music.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Ok your in time out for that :laugh:

I wouldn't call them formulaic at all.
Xanadu..
Cygnus Books 1 and 2
A Farewell to Kings
Natural Science
The Fountain of Lamneth.
Cold Fire
Dreamline
Subdivisions
Time Stand Still.
Vital Signs
The Camera Eye.
La Villa Strangiato.
Freewill
and countless more, everything from tracks that are 10-20 mins in length with different time signatures/sections to tracks that were compact and radio friendly. I love Zep, the Beatles and CVH but Rush are truly unique. 40 years, with no drama or childish nonsense and tons of great music.
I'm sorry, Johnny. I haven't delved into their catalogue, just have their greatest hits. And for me it is fun, pump me up, workout music. But nothing original outside their all-time great drummer. Admittedly, I haven't given them a shot. And I made a point of saying that :) And, as we all know, greatest hits are a horrible barometer to gauge a band, and I must consider that.

(I also knew you would roast me for that one, I deserved it)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm sorry, Johnny. I haven't delved into their catalogue, just have their greatest hits. And for me it is fun, pump me up, workout music. But nothing original outside their all-time great drummer. Admittedly, I haven't given them a shot. And I made a point of saying that :) And, as we all know, greatest hits are a horrible barometer to gauge a band, and I must consider that.

No, you're right. They're horrible. lol
Seriously though, GoP summed it up exactly, for my taste. The vocals are like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
No, you're right. They're horrible. lol
Seriously though, GoP summed it up exactly, for my taste. The vocals are like nails on a chalkboard for me.
I don't mind the vocals, hell I adore James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem). It's their, again imo, formulaic anthemic rock sound and the hype they get for being so "ordinary"

I do have friends that know their music, Johnny himself being one, that adore Rush. And I must take that into account.

I'll let folks like yourself pull and lob the grenades while I sit back and nod approvingly :D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't mind the vocals, hell I adore James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem). It's their, again imo, formulaic anthemic rock sound and the hype they get for being so "ordinary"

I do have friends that know their music, Johnny himself being one, that adore Rush. And I must take that into account.

I'll let folks like yourself pull and lob the grenades while I sit back and nod approvingly :D
I understand that different folks have different strokes. I hate seafood, can't even eat a T-bone, if I smell fish and can't even understand how anyone can like any seafood.
But I don't think less of them for their bad taste. :laugh:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

Their greatest hits is a poor barometer, I think working man is very average and really don't care for Tom Sawyer and Limelight. A few good songs on there thought. Their best stuff however is the stuff you don't hear on the radio.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Their greatest hits is a poor barometer, I think working man is very average and really don't care for Tom Sawyer and Limelight. A few good songs on there thought. Their best stuff however is the stuff you don't hear on the radio.
One of these days I'll need to discover their music, Johnny. I have qualified all of my posts re:Rush. I probably should have remained mum on them, knowing there's so many fans here of them, plus my lack of knowledge of their full catalogue.

If you say they are worthy, it weighs heavy, as you know your ish, my man

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Dude! I hate drama and asking such a specific question to a great band is annoying as hell!

Rolling the dice, I go with Money. Though there easily couldn't be truth to that based on my current mood at the time as time chages!

ShortRound

Reaction score
Time.

I put this on one time after watching The Ring in the theaters with my then wife, who hated scary movies, and she almost jumped out of the car. LOL (to her Pink Floyd was "scary music" whatever the **** that means)

Money, Mother, and Another Brick in the Wall pt 2 are also amazing. Like OP said, everything by them is fantastic.

I got into Pink Floyd late in life. And I read somewhere to listen to Time with headphones on. and I got tears listening to it, just thinking about the lyrics. Man it was moving. All the things that happen in life, people we lose, 9-5 grind. Just all got to me.