CZ POLL Your Opinion Of Jerry Jones As Owner And GM

How do you define Jerry Jones as both an owner and general manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The poll is intended for drawing a sampling of popular opinion on how observers actually see Jerry Jones as owner and general manager of the Dallas Cowboys (he likes his self-appointed President title too but who cares?)

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
giphy.gif

efh313

Reaction score
An owner is concerned with his teams relevance. JJ has made The Dallas Cowboys the most recognizable and relevant sporting team in the world.
If I’m being brutally honest, over the last two decades we’ve had more in common with the Lions or the Browns, sure we’ve had a few more 17 game seasons then they have but we have been a .500 team. (Stat geeks I am over simplifying for effect, bear with me) And yet, every season, year in and year out we are discussed in national media right next to the Patriots, the Packers, the Seahawks, etc.
Having that kind of presence in the football world without the winning team to back it up is... insane. But that’s where JJ is at his best.
You may not like his football decisions, but you have to give credit where credit is due.

GREAT Owner, BAD GM

Sydla

Reaction score
I voted the last choice.

Because I think the "owner" side has to be split even further. There is no doubt that as a pure businessman, he's a very good owner. His ability to smell marketing opportunities and basically monetize everything about the Cowboys is impressive. He's turned a patch of dirt in Frisco into a thriving billion dollar business hub simply because he was able to leverage the Cowboys brand.

However, his decisions as owner with regards to football operations kind of stink. One, he continues to employ himself as the GM. And that's a huge problem and mark against him as owner because frankly, as GM, he's not great. And a big reason for that is he simply can't see what pretty much everyone else sees.................. he has employed an average to decent coach for nearly a decade with no distinctive results. The year before he had to fire Phillips, the Cowboys won 11 games, won the NFCE and won a playoff game before losing in the divisional round.

Last year, Garrett won 10 games, won the NFCE and won a playoff game before losing in the divisional round. And that's been a high point of Garrett's tenure. So a decade later, the high point of the Garrett run has been no better than the high point of the Phillips run. Phillips lasted 3.5 years. Garrett has been leading us for close to a decade. That's insanity, and frankly, pure stupidity (or maybe arrogance too).

Jerry has let loyalty pretty much supercede any rational thought with regards to his coaching situation. And until he wakes up and realizes that (along with the idea that if he wants to be GM still at least stay out of coaching matters - let the HC pick his staff, etc), he'll continue to be a poor GM.

Rayman70

Reaction score
THIS is an old hat. Jerry won't step out of the picture completely and meddles in crucial team decisions..and knows NOTHING football-wise. He's a fan essentially that has no business on the football side of this. He should be doing what he does best, promote the team,stadium and so forth. He taints the product on the field with idiotic decisions...ie not firing Garrett and Marinelli. His loyalty to his puppets is his downfall.

JayFord

Reaction score
Im one of the very few that loves jerry as an owner and gm

the only bad thing about him is his willingness not to fire Jason Garrett that is downright unacceptable

the other mistakes hes made as a GM i can live with because i know he wants to win he’s extremely stubborn but thats just who he is what can you do

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The owner hires the GM. The GM is the architect of the franchise. The fact that this franchise has 3 playoff wins in 25 years means the architect of the franchise is bad. The fact that the owner has not FIRED the architect of this franchise with this track record means the owner is bad!

JJB500

Reaction score
Bill Walsh said it best, Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones made a great team together and would never have the same success apart!
A great owner business wise just an egotistical idiot as the GM!

Status
Not open for further replies.