CZ POLL Your Opinion Of Jerry Jones As Owner And GM

How do you define Jerry Jones as both an owner and general manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Jerry the owner has created a toxic environment that is hardly conducive to winning.

On top of that, even if he were to higher a competent front office guy, he would still meddle somehow. Its who he is.

Someone explain to me how you can possibly think he is a good owner?????

reddyuta

Reaction score
apart from Quinn everything he has done this year has been abject failure including the draft.

ShortRound

Reaction score
How can you be a good owner and hire Jerry as GM, then hire Jason Garrett as HC? How does that make Jerry a good owner?

Oy.... Good owner, business side only, sorry... wasn't thinking straight. I want to change my vote now.

:facepalm:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something to consider (or not). The Pro Football Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors enshrined Jones for 'qualifications' as an owner--not as a general manager. Heck. Even his brief HOF summary is essentially praise for him as an owner only.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can you be a good owner and hire Jerry as GM, then hire Jason Garrett as HC? How does that make Jerry a good owner?
Good point. I think I'll have a Baileys Irish Cream before I play golf today. Can't handle the reality of this!

Brax

Reaction score
It’s a tough question. I think Jerry is good at a lot of important owner qualities. He runs the business well. He takes care of his players. He isn’t cheap and is willing to pay to keep talent, etc.

That being said. One of the most important qualities of an owner IMO is hiring a quality GM and shutting the hell up and staying out of the football decisions.

He sucks at that.

So can he be a good owner when he has failed miserably at such an important owner responsibility?
You are correct. Some might say the most important responsibility. To me not a tough question Bad/Bad.

Brax

Reaction score
Jerry the owner has created a toxic environment that is hardly conducive to winning.

On top of that, even if he were to higher a competent front office guy, he would still meddle somehow. Its who he is.

Someone explain to me how you can possibly think he is a good owner?????
I can't wait to hear the replies to a good owner, better yet a good GM.

Brax

Reaction score
Sums it up nicely, thank you......................... might add how do you keep the GM after 23 failed seasons !!!!!!!!!

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Good owner in terms of making money/Bad GM no explanation necessary.

dckid

Reaction score
That's pretty much it. How can you justify saying he is good owner when he is kept an unsuccessful gm in place with no improvements on the field for 20+ years?

I dare someone to counter that. Good owners fire gms like jerry.
This team has not been relevant for over two decades so just stop pretending and fooling yourselves. Yes I will give you Jerry has a formula for being ~.500 we are no longer in the Dave Campo era where 5 wins seemed like an accomplishment.
Jerry is happy if we go 7-9 to 9-7 that means we will be tantalizing enough to be talked about every week. Reporters will ask him about firing coaches, his face will be plastered on Fox NFL Sunday and two Sunday night games. Their week 17 game will get flexed because they will be fighting for a playoff spot.
Winning does not mean anything to Jerry. Judge a person by their actions not by what they say.
What has Jerry done to make you believe he cares about winning as his top priority? The Cowboys could do zero marketing, zero promotion and still make more money than almost any team in the league. The Star & reputation was built because
of
Playing in 8 of the first 30 Super Bowls.
21 consecuitive .500 and above seasons 1965-1985
Staubach, Dorsett, Doomsday, Landry ... to JJ, Triplets, memorable games..
Ice bowl, Steeler SB's, 5 SB appearances in the 70's, the Catch, Herschel, Jerry buying the team, Jimmy Johnson turning the league on its ear, coming back to prominence in the 90's.

What have we done since all of the above?
Losing to Arizona in 1998
Losing to Seattle, Giants, Vikings, Packers twice?

The Cowboys have not been to a championship game since the 1995 season. Let that sink in for a minute. We are an organization of mediocrity

Status
Not open for further replies.