CZ POLL Your Opinion Of Jerry Jones As Owner And GM

How do you define Jerry Jones as both an owner and general manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I couldn’t speak individually without knowing each vote and their interpretation.

I’ve answered all of your questions .
Sure you have. :rolleyes:

I have one for you. How would you describe what your interpretation for “ good owner “ definition was?

Was it football related and if not do you weigh his financial accomplishments more than his football this generation?
I will answer you directly.

My description of a good owner is a businessman, whose management acumen, creates a net operating income for his franchise, that fully funds football operation related expenses--player and coaching salary expenses in particular--that are competitive with the upper echelon of other NFL franchises. This particular ability is a necessity for funding contracts towards acquiring free agents, including premier free agents, retaining top players obtained via the draft, and offering top dollar for coaching and scouting staff--something which Jones has improved upon since his nickel-and-diming days. It should be noted that, In my opinion, Jones is a good but not 'great' owner because he has converted his net operating income into securing the best players and coaches available.

In addition, my opinion may be shared for why I believe Jones is a bad general manager. Jones has constructed an elaborate support system for helping him identify quality players and coaches. Unfortunately, I believe Jones is his own worst enemy by embedding himself as the ultimate final decision maker. Jones utilizes his own football acumen for making the final yes or no decisions in drafting and free agent acquisitions. While it is true Jones does know football, he does not have the necessary insight for routinely identifying all the necessary coaches and players needed for unquestionable championship caliber teams. His shortcomings are most evident in overall qualitfied coaching hires.

Players and coaches are essential for football operations. Making exceeding astute business decisions for making in possible to obtain the best players and coaches make Jones a good owner. Undermining the franchise's opportunities of netting the best players and coaches make Jones a bad GM.

Logically differentiating base information explains the divisive nature of not only this poll's results but other topic discussions. It is something not atypical in human conversation.

The final word of this one side 'tactful'/other side full disclosure mini-convo merry-go-round is yours if you so choose.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
how can he be good owner bad gm!! lol as the owner he is the one who hired the bad gm and has kept the bad gm for 100 years ! lol
If jerry was just the owner, and he had some clown as gm since 1994 and refused to fire him, no one would say he is a good owner.
Garrett has been here since 2007 and the owner and gm wont fire him no matter how badly he does, so the answer should be bad on both.
And if you included person, he would be bad in that category too.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Great owner, figure head GM. Stephen Jones and McClay doing the actual GM work. Early on in his Cowboys GM history Jerry was an actual GM who became careless and over confident after the multiple Superbowl wins. I don't think he was ever a full time GM either with so many business irons in the fire.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Raise your hand if you said good to both.

I wish to do nasty things to you.:muttley:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
How is he a good owner? He is responsible for turning this culture into a country club. He is responsible for hiring the GM. He is responsible for building a park where home field is not existent. He is responsible for Stephen Jones. He is responsible for destroying the franchise. How is he a good owner of a FOOTBALL team?

Big_D

Reaction score
How is he a good owner? He is responsible for turning this culture into a country club. He is responsible for hiring the GM. He is responsible for building a park where home field is not existent. He is responsible for Stephen Jones. He is responsible for destroying the franchise. How is he a good owner of a FOOTBALL team?

Because he makes money? There’s really no other explanation. He’s pure garbage!

kskboys

Reaction score
I find the Good Owner/Bad GM option hilarious. If he was a good owner he would hire a real GM
The two are quite simply connected. As the owner, Jerry has not done his best to outfit this club w/ a quality GM. And has not only employed a subpar GM, has refused to fire that GM, even after admitting that the GM is doing a terrible job.

If one would want to proclaim that he's done a good job financially as an owner, that would be a fact. However, that only pertains to possibly stockholders, or some other type of person who has some connection to the financials. He's a good owner for people who are financially vested, but an absolutely horrific owner for people who are only interested in the football side of things.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Great owner, figure head GM. Stephen Jones and McClay doing the actual GM work. Early on in his Cowboys GM history Jerry was an actual GM who became careless and over confident after the multiple Superbowl wins. I don't think he was ever a full time GM either with so many business irons in the fire.
Great owner? Splain Lucy.

Big_D

Reaction score
POS should be the overwhelming choice here. Bad owner/bad GM doesn’t really cut it. Doesn’t describe how truly terrible he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.