Your preferred choice - Gallup and Schultz or Cooper?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It looks to me like that’s what it came down to based on the salary cap. The Cowboys had to choose between keeping Cooper or the combination of Gallup and Schultz. Clearly we see what Dallas chose, what would your preference have been?

I definitely would have kept Cooper.
I prefer what they did. Cooper didnt even have 900 yards last year. IN what world is that kind of production worth 20 million NFL Salary cap dollars? Gallup is talented and both he and Schultz will be 26 years old when the next season starts. What I have heard is 5 years at close to 50 million for Gallup. My guess is a 4 year deal for Schultz amount.... havent heard. Now add in Wilson to that mix also and I am very happy with Gallup, Wilson and Lamb as our WRs.

I liked Cooper, but I HATED his salary. He also gives off a nonchalant attitude that just drove me nuts.

Dre11

Reaction score
Sign him (Schultz) to a deal (like 3-30).
9 Mil bonus and 2 mil salary in year one.
Drops his cap number from 11 to 5 this year, puts 11 mil in his pocked this season just like the FT.
Everybody gets what they want.
Yes, it adds liability in coming years but that is managable for a really good young player as the cap expands.

How are you signing Shultz to 10 million a year when the tag is already 10 million. That's just the starting point.

Ren

Reaction score
Depends on the contracts they get if we get Gallup for half the price we were paying Cooper then yeah it’s worth it. If we just turn around and overpay them then I’d rather have Cooper

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't care about his 8 tds, i see his full game, in this offense with the weapons we had outside you could replace him, Shuktz was a Dak check down option.

Of course you don't ..hilarious. Scoring!! The one aspect that wins games means nothing. LOL 5th in scoring, 6th in yards. Again you're not really paying attention when actual stats say otherwise. On the flip side Coopers 8 means nothing also? lol

You think we're getting a TE and throwing him 150 passes?? Like Kelce, Kittles, Goddert and Andrews don't benefit from their receiving corps? Or running game? you're fooling yourself. They have plenty of needs and a top 5 TE is right here.

Big_D

Reaction score
Lol he had 1 season over 4 tds, and you want to pay him 10 million probably more when it's said and done...lol
You claiming he's anything close to Goddert and Kittles is asinine. I don't care if the coach was in year 5 or not, salary cap is the salary cap with the same rules that apply.

Great argument..

Kittles never had more than 6 TDs. lol

Goedert never had more than 5. LMAO

Asinine is written all over your ridiculous take. Clueless actually.

Rams had 4 years and a Super Bowl caliber football team in place.

You really don't get it.

Jarntt

Reaction score
To me those weren't the only options and I don't think that is how the team looked at it. Regardless of who they kept between Gallup and Cooper the team seems to have wanted to keep Schultz. You can frame it that it was Gallup and Schultz vs Cooper, but I don't think that is accurate.

If it were me, I'd sign Gallup and say good bye to Cooper because he prevents us from signing help elsewhere with our cap problems and good bye to Schultz because he is an overpriced TE who can't block. I would use Coopers savings on OL help and defense in general. Cooper's fate was likely sealed the day his contract was signed.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Great argument..

You really don't get it.
Both of those guys block

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I prefer what they did. Cooper didnt even have 900 yards last year. IN what world is that kind of production worth 20 million NFL Salary cap dollars? Gallup is talented and both he and Schultz will be 26 years old when the next season starts. What I have heard is 5 years at close to 50 million for Gallup. My guess is a 4 year deal for Schultz amount.... havent heard. Now add in Wilson to that mix also and I am very happy with Gallup, Wilson and Lamb as our WRs.

I liked Cooper, but I HATED his salary. He also gives off a nonchalant attitude that just drove me nuts.

I hear you about that salary, but I feel that ultimately that's what the team will be paying on average for Gallup and Schultz. That's part of why I felt it was an either/or deal.

Last year's numbers were disappointing, but I attribute a lot of that to Moore's play-calling, and Prescott not getting Cooper the ball. He was ranked in the 30's in terms of targets per game and that should NOT be the case, especially again at the salary we're talking about. The receiver can't throw himself the ball.

Dre11

Reaction score
Great argument..

You really don't get it.

Again, it's asinine if you think he's on Kittles and Goddard level, lol. Funny you point to stats with Shultz and yet Dak stats means nothing. If Kittles and Godert were available, I bet everyone on this board would take them over Shultz...lol

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Gallup if he wasn't injured. Cooper if he was more consistent. Shultz if he was more physical and could block.

I guess none of the above. Draft a WR and sign a good, FA OL and TE

Hadenough

Reaction score
It looks to me like that’s what it came down to based on the salary cap. The Cowboys had to choose between keeping Cooper or the combination of Gallup and Schultz. Clearly we see what Dallas chose, what would your preference have been?

I definitely would have kept Cooper.
Gallup, Schultz because Amari had no heart. He was talented as they come but lacked that fire. Plus he was always nursing his foot injury.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I hear you about that salary, but I feel that ultimately that's what the team will be paying on average for Gallup and Schultz. That's part of why I felt it was an either/or deal.

Last year's numbers were disappointing, but I attribute a lot of that to Moore's play-calling, and Prescott not getting Cooper the ball. He was ranked in the 30's in terms of targets per game and that should NOT be the case, especially again at the salary we're talking about. The receiver can't throw himself the ball.

What you just said in the last sentence is EVERYTHING. I play fantasy football, so I pay attention to stats big time. When AB was in his absolute peak years and Ben went down, AB disappeared. You couldnt even START him on a fantasy lineup. No matter how good he was. Point? QBs have a way of making WRs look really good. Im not saying they arent good, but I think there are MANY WRs on lineups in the NFL that could be 1000 yard receivers if they got to play with top level QBs. So, if Dak isnt gonna get the guy the ball..... why pay him 20 million?

If you have a stud WR, you force feed him the ball, no matter what the coverage is.

Dre11

Reaction score
Of course you don't ..hilarious. Scoring!! The one aspect that wins games means nothing. LOL 5th in scoring, 6th in yards. Again you're not really paying attention when actual stats say otherwise. On the flip side Coopers 8 means nothing also? lol

You think we're getting a TE and throwing him 150 passes?? Like Kelce, Kittles, Goddert and Andrews don't benefit from their receiving corps? Or running game? you're fooling yourself. They have plenty of needs and a top 5 TE is right here.

He doesn't get those passes Ike those other TEs because he's not those TEs.
Lol what relieving corps does those other TEs benefit from? What Wr Corp is in San fran. KITTLES is gameplaned for he's a focal point of that offense, Kelci is gameplanned for he's a focal point of that offense, Andrews is a focal point of his offense and gameplanned for, Nobody's gameplans for Shultz, he's when healthy he's 4th player gameplanned for on a defense.

Big_D

Reaction score
Again, it's asinine if you think he's on Kittles and Goddard level, lol. Funny you point to stats with Shultz and yet Dak stats means nothing. If Kittles and Godert were available, I bet everyone on this board would take them over Shultz...lol

LOL what's funny is you name 4 TEs and tell me how he's not top 5?????? That is asinine.

Goedert 4 years Career 830 this year, 5 TDs 3 years ago.That just screams elite.

I never said he was Kittles or Kelce or Andrews. But Goedert??? Everyone on this board thinks Cooper at 20 million is still a deal. LOL

Reid1boys

Reaction score
How are you signing Shultz to 10 million a year when the tag is already 10 million. That's just the starting point.
huh.... you think because you tag a guy it means yu need to give an AVG salary of what the tag amount is? Glad you arent in charge of the teams salary cap.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If Cooper is the player that some on this board make him out to be, then why didn’t teams like the Jets or Jags with young QBs in the need of a receiver make an offer like even a 3rd round pick for the player ? If you thought you were getting a top10 receiver even at 20m per year why not pull the trigger ? Maybe because he’s not as highly thought of as some here seem to believe. Maybe in a deep WR class, teams opted to to take their chances with a draft pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What you just said in the last sentence is EVERYTHING. I play fantasy football, so I pay attention to stats big time. When AB was in his absolute peak years and Ben went down, AB disappeared. You couldnt even START him on a fantasy lineup. No matter how good he was. Point? QBs have a way of making WRs look really good. Im not saying they arent good, but I think there are MANY WRs on lineups in the NFL that could be 1000 yard receivers if they got to play with top level QBs. So, if Dak isnt gonna get the guy the ball..... why pay him 20 million?

If you have a stud WR, you force feed him the ball, no matter what the coverage is.

That gets to my point. Is the issue then with the receiver? Or a coordinator and quarterback that doesn’t get him the ball?

Big_D

Reaction score
He doesn't get those passes Ike those other TEs because he's not those TEs.
Lol what relieving corps does those other TEs benefit from? What Wr Corp is in San fran. KITTLES is gameplaned for he's a focal point of that offense, Kelci is gameplanned for he's a focal point of that offense, Andrews is a focal point of his offense and gameplanned for, Nobody's gameplans for Shultz, he's when healthy he's 4th player gameplanned for on a defense.

Samuel 1405 yards. That's what a #1 WR looks like LOL You're argument is pitiful at this point. I'm sure Cooper is just as good.