You're on the Clock for the 2011 Draft. Who do you Pick?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
casmith07;3708100 said:
Not only that, he'll immediately push Jenkins to work harder because his job will be threatened, and we'll be insured against Newman as he continues to get older...though until he actually shows some sign of deterioration (ANY sign - just not there yet), I'm not worried about him.

Well of course he's going to continue to get older. :laugh2:

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
I like Marvin Austin DL from NC. He was suspended early in the year but was terrific when he played.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
NeonDeion21;3708115 said:
I like Marvin Austin DL from NC. He was suspended early in the year but was terrific when he played.

I like him too but not in the first, and he's got a lot of character concerns, and not the Dez type. I think we'll end up crossing him off our board.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3705215 said:
Round 1: DeMarcus Love
Round 2: Mike Pouncey

D-Love stock has been stable around mid 2nd, problem is people are projecting him to move to RT/G in the NFL. Although I want him too, believe he will be dominant at some o-line position, be it guard, RT or LT.

Reaction score
casmith07;3708100 said:
I want Patrick Peterson so bad it's not even funny. You give him even decent safety help on his side of the field and he will erase one side of the field. Everything about him is near perfect - backpedal, break out of pedal, tracking the ball, tackling, body control, awareness. He is NEVER flat-footed as a habit, something that guys like Mike Jenkins still need to be coached out of.

Patrick Peterson is going to be like a seasoned Charles Woodson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Terence Newman, or Darrelle Revis from day 1. Top tier CB who can play the ball and is physical, and is a coach's dream.

Not only that, he'll immediately push Jenkins to work harder because his job will be threatened, and we'll be insured against Newman as he continues to get older...though until he actually shows some sign of deterioration (ANY sign - just not there yet), I'm not worried about him.

Our dream of landing him is in serious jeopardy. Brandon Harris is a good consolation prize though.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
casmith07;3708100 said:
I want Patrick Peterson so bad it's not even funny. You give him even decent safety help on his side of the field and he will erase one side of the field. Everything about him is near perfect - backpedal, break out of pedal, tracking the ball, tackling, body control, awareness. He is NEVER flat-footed as a habit, something that guys like Mike Jenkins still need to be coached out of.

Patrick Peterson is going to be like a seasoned Charles Woodson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Terence Newman, or Darrelle Revis from day 1. Top tier CB who can play the ball and is physical, and is a coach's dream.

Thats why I want to lose. Peterson is going to be the best player in this draftclass, by far.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Marcel Dareus.

Help bolster the dline and bring some youth + competition.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
CATCH17;3708553 said:
Marcel Dareus.

Help bolster the dline and bring some youth + competition.
I want to bolster the dline and oline.

I like Cameron Heyward more than Dareus.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
TheCount;3708228 said:
I like him too but not in the first, and he's got a lot of character concerns, and not the Dez type. I think we'll end up crossing him off our board.

No, definitely not the first. I think he could fall to mid 2nd-3rd round range.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dash28;3708566 said:
I want to bolster the dline and oline.

I like Cameron Heyward more than Dareus.

Gah I want to also but after watching this mess today maybe Peterson is the right choice.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
casmith07;3708100 said:

When you use this much hyperbole, it's hard to take what you're saying seriously. Patrick Peterson, isn't going to be comparable to the best CBs in the league on day 1. Guys who go from college to the pros w/o missing a beat are very rare. Ndamekong Suh and Randy Moss, are the only 2 guys I can think of off the top of my head where you can say from day 1 they were either the best, or one of the best players at their position. Even guys like Ed Reed and Julius Peppers who made pro-bowls as rookies weren't guys you'd say are the best at their position untill later

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Doubt it's Patrick Peterson. Sitting at 3-7, I think we'll atleast split the last 6 (I think we win the home games against PHI, WAS and ARZ), which means we'll pick between 9 and 12, so I'd either target one of the 3-4 ends or a lineman.

rkell87

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3709333 said:
When you use this much hyperbole, it's hard to take what you're saying seriously. Patrick Peterson, isn't going to be comparable to the best CBs in the league on day 1. Guys who go from college to the pros w/o missing a beat are very rare. Ndamekong Suh and Randy Moss, are the only 2 guys I can think of off the top of my head where you can say from day 1 they were either the best, or one of the best players at their position. Even guys like Ed Reed and Julius Peppers who made pro-bowls as rookies weren't guys you'd say are the best at their position untill later
adrain peterson i would put in that category as well

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
rkell87;3710614 said:
adrain peterson i would put in that category as well

he wasn't the best RB in the league his rookie year and while the potential was obvious, he wasn't as polished as Ladanian Tomlinson for example. He had almost as many rushing yards, less recieving yards and more fumbles. And what about blitz pick-ups/pass protection? No reason to think he was anywhere close. This shows just how crazy it is to believe Patrick Peterson will be as polished as all-pro CBs from day 1. Adrian Peterson was a better prospect than a lot of guys, but saying he was as polished as the best in the game, is crazy

rkell87

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3710702 said:
he wasn't the best RB in the league his rookie year and while the potential was obvious, he wasn't as polished as Ladanian Tomlinson for example. He had almost as many rushing yards, less recieving yards and more fumbles. And what about blitz pick-ups/pass protection? No reason to think he was anywhere close. This shows just how crazy it is to believe Patrick Peterson will be as polished as all-pro CBs from day 1. Adrian Peterson was a better prospect than a lot of guys, but saying he was as polished as the best in the game, is crazy
you said the best or one of the best at their position from day one, AP was that. yes LT was better but you cant tell me westbrook or willie parker was better or even more complete, and since that time AP has been top 3 consistently

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
This is the problem with how some folks view the draft, they get into a myopic mode of thinking of "well, player X isn't going to have an impact as a rookie..."

Every player needs refinement, coaching and development.

The notion about a few players "being the best at their position their rookie year" is way offbase IMO.

I would venture to guess if you asked those few players mentioned they would tell you themselves they weren't the best player at their respective positions their rookie season.

garyv

Reaction score
1st Round probably Secondary help just take the best available when they pick

Early 2nd Round:

Gabe Camiri, OT, Wisconsin
Best lineman on the best o-line in college. Definately not a LT prospect and is a RT only (too tall to play inside), so the bust factor is high. However, he's very polished, has great size and toughness. He's the guy I want to play RT for us, but I would wait till round 2 before I touched him.

garyv

Reaction score
1st Round, Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
2nd Round, Gabe Camiri, OT, Wisconsin

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
garyv;3714076 said:

and next year we'll throw the new 4 RB offense at teams. They'll never know what hit em.

Drafting Ingram is a luxury pick we can't afford. Unless we trade Felix and Choice for OL and secondary help. Then, I'm with you.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
garyv;3714076 said:

Please god, no.

at this pick, i'd be for Robert Quinn if he is available. If he makes the transition he can be dominant. Worked with D.Bryant last year, same logic goes into the pick so do it again.

oh wait, no I don't it made no sense then, makes no sense now. Needs please.

Allen Bailey, Miami please. Suited to play either End or Tackle in the NFL, which is fantastic considering we have Ratliff. We can throw a bunch of different looks at them with 2 players that can play DT or DE.

If we fall further draft-pick wise, then Janoris Jenkins. If we get back up there, then Prince Akamaura/Patrick Peterson.