Zack Martin and opportunity cost

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It is debatable whether we should have paid a guard that much money. That's probably reasonable market for his services. Could we have replaced him next year for 1/5 that money and get an adequate replacement? Maybe so.

I agree with everything in your post, Verdict, but this quote. The contract part, sure, but the talent part is a leap. Even guards are no sure bet. There are many teams reeling around the league searching for even "adequate" OL that have busted on rd 1-3 OL picks. Often.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn't commit to the run before he arrived.

Tyron is far and away the most important.

We run run run run cause we have a QB who can't pass pass pass pass.........:huh:

Verdict

Reaction score
I agree with everything in your post, Verdict, but this quote. The contract part, sure, but the talent part is a leap. Even guards are no sure bet. There are many teams reeling around the league searching for even "adequate" OL that have busted on rd 1-3 OL picks. Often.

I acknowledge what you are saying. I agree with what you are saying. You could spend a draft pick on a guard and he might bust. So keeping Martin is a better deal in terms of the talent of the player. There is less risk in talent by keeping Martin.

Conversely, Martin has to play at a high level for the duration of the contract (a pretty good chance that happens) and not get injured to be worth that money. I'm not against the signing. All I am saying is that there is risk, any way the team decided to go, the risks were just different depending on what direction they decided to go.

I view this as a much more solid risk than the Dez Bryant contract which I was against at the time it was made. This contract carries risk too but Martin is a lot more solid player than Dez ever was. No real warts. If you are going to take a risk on a player, based on the information we currently have available, Martin is as good of a risk as any.

Verdict

Reaction score
We didn't commit to the run before he arrived.

Tyron is far and away the most important.

I don't know if he is more important than Fred Beard but he is damn important. No denying that.

Verdict

Reaction score
The defense JUST started getting more resources and investment. We're still unclear how those investments will pay off or whether they even will.

The defense is littered with IFs as a result. The depth is particularly troubling in some areas such as DTs and LBs, not to start on safeties.

Teams win with defense and depth. I was on board with paying this line more when we had a franchise QB. Short of that, our offense will not be high powered enough to warrant the expense.

Let's be objective. That's not really true. We have spent plenty on defense. They just haven't performed all that well. We have invested pretty much everywhere on the defense by now, except the 1 Tech, which for some reason the team seems unimportant. I don't get it, but it's probably not changing anytime soon.

People can get all excited about E. Thomas, but give me Harrison instead and this defense will go to a whole new level.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I do remember..

How long was he here before we committed to the run?

Linehan was brought here because Jason Garrett could not run the football.
Garrett committed to building a run first team as soon as he got here. That happens to be the same time we started drafting the trenches in the 1st round. We've been committed to the run for years now.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I acknowledge what you are saying. I agree with what you are saying. You could spend a draft pick on a guard and he might bust. So keeping Martin is a better deal in terms of the talent of the player. There is less risk in talent by keeping Martin.

Conversely, Martin has to play at a high level for the duration of the contract (a pretty good chance that happens) and not get injured to be worth that money. I'm not against the signing. All I am saying is that there is risk, any way the team decided to go, the risks were just different depending on what direction they decided to go.

I view this as a much more solid risk than the Dez Bryant contract which I was against at the time it was made. This contract carries risk too but Martin is a lot more solid player than Dez ever was. No real warts. If you are going to take a risk on a player, based on the information we currently have available, Martin is as good of a risk as any.
It can be as short as a 3/43m deal or as long as 7/94m

Either way it is well worth it

If it approached or topped 15m as some predicted that may have been my limit and I didn't like the idea of holding out but it all got handled quickly and cleanly and is a great deal for all

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You have to spend a first round pick on someone. You want that guy to be a cornerstone of your team for the duration of his NFL career, if possible. Most of all you don't want that player to be a flop/bust.

If you are picking at the top of the first round, yo can usually go offense or defense as everyone is still on the board. As you start to draft later in the round, there are less first round graded players on the board to choose from, so you sort of have to take what is left, whether that is offense or defense.

Martin was an exceptional value pick. He was the best player on the board when we picked. I can understand you wanting a defensive player of his caliber instead, but that may not be the case. You can't revise history.

It is debatable whether we should have paid a guard that much money. That's probably reasonable market for his services. Could we have replaced him next year for 1/5 that money and get an adequate replacement? Maybe so.

But we have spent plenty of of resources on the defense. Lawrence is making more than Martin. We have spent draft picks on defense. Whether they pan out remains to be seen.

Personally I think Marinelli sucks. The whole organization looks much better if we get better performance out of the players we have.

Replacing a difference maker with adequate is not adequate.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think you meant to say trench. You accidentally pluralized it.

DLaw, Collins, Taco, and Gregory were all premium picks. The DL was by far the best part of the defense last season. We added a 4th rounder they were very high on again this season. Better hope Gregory doesn't make it back or you will be completely wrong as opposed to only mostly.

CPanther95

Reaction score
DLaw, Collins, Taco, and Gregory were all premium picks. The DL was by far the best part of the defense last season. We added a 4th rounder they were very high on again this season. Better hope Gregory doesn't make it back or you will be completely wrong as opposed to only mostly.

You only named 1 first round pick.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garrett committed to building a run first team as soon as he got here. That happens to be the same time we started drafting the trenches in the 1st round. We've been committed to the run for years now.

I think you may want to go back and check and see how well we committed to the run before 2014.

Verdict

Reaction score
Replacing a difference maker with adequate is not adequate.

It all depends. If you can get an adequate replacement for 20 percent of that then you could opt to sign Harrison, or ET. Or maybe it means you can sign Zeke or not in a few years. It's not quite that simple. Everything is interrelated.