News: Zeke admits other RBs are playing better

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
However, it is important to understand that these ratings only somewhat separate the offensive line from the running backs. A team with a very good running back will appear higher no matter how bad their line, and a team with a great line with appear lower if the running back is terrible.
That's not how it works.

While not perfect these rankings go to great pains to separate the RB from the line.

As do RB rankings go through great pains to separate the line from the RB. In those cases Zeke is not seen in a great light.

In any case you said this line is no longer elite. That's a joke of a statement.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about the speed factor. News flash, and it shouldn't surprise anyone: Zeke does NOT have the same burst he did at tOSU nor in his rookie year for the Cowboys in 2016. We can talk about the grind, perhaps some minor lower body ailments that were not present in his rookie season, etc. But as it has been said before, the "elephant in the room" (no pun intended) that no one wants to bring up because it's "too simplified" to be true -- the fact is Zeke is heavier now than he was then. Fact. Most of that is muscle, some of that I'm sure is fat. Can he carry that weight? Sure, and carry it quite well IMO. But as he evolves into Jerome Bettis, he's lost the Tony Dorsett speed. Meh, I don't know how I feel about that. I miss the 70 yard sprints into the EZ with no one catching him from behind, but the new Zeke would be more durable than the old one, which is probably better for the Cowboys investment wise. Look at Barkley -- he was banged up at times this year.

usa-today-9140583.0.jpg
usa_today_11896143.0.jpg

Barkely is and always has been bigger than Zeke.

Zeke at the combine: 225
Barkley at the combine: 233

Zeke posted earlier this year that he is at 230.
So how has his weight which is 3 lbs less than what Barkley came into the league at preventing him from getting banged up while a heavier Barkley is somehow banged up due to his weight?

The fact is Barkley at a heavier weight ran faster at their respective combines. Barkley is the heavier superior athlete. It's not even close.

Zeke needs to either lose weight and regain speed or else we'll be stuck with the most expensive RB in history who cannot break long runs. And news flash guys....a 70 yard run is more valuable than a bunch of 5 yard ones. The 70 yard run puts points on the board. The 5 yard run keeps you ahead of the sticks sure...but how many drives stall because of a penalty, sack, int, etc. Explosive plays win games.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
That's not how it works.

While not perfect these rankings go to great pains to separate the RB from the line.

As do RB rankings go through great pains to separate the line from the RB. In those cases Zeke is not seen in a great light.

In any case you said this line is no longer elite. That's a joke of a statement.

What i stated came directly from the article you posted.

Cmac

Reaction score
thats what we pay him for. The players and owners should both get that contract and have language that states if you dont earn your new contract it can be revoked. this is embarrasing.
I take it you'd rather hear a player tell you he is ballin' when the film and everybody else would say otherwise.

jay94

Reaction score
Bottom 10 oline that performed well with austin eckler. Just say you dont like Zeke and sthu. Yall annoy me

I am fine with Zeke he is just vastly overrated, especially on this forum. I don't have to shut up, or go to high school tactics to not even refute or prove a point.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am fine with Zeke he is just vastly overrated, especially on this forum. I don't have to shut up, or go to high school tactics to not even refute or prove a point.
lmao

lest take look at ratings
1. you are absolutely nobody when it comes to NFL and Pro sports.. you are fan with a hollow opinion..

2. Zeke when discussed by his counterparts around the league, the National and local media, his teammates, his coaches, and the most important HIS BOSSES ie the owners of the team, they thought it was worth keeping him at his new deal.. they all hold him in high regard, they rate him very high, very relative, and his stats we are always top 1-5 ..and in year hes being called fat slow and lazy because of his deal hes ranked 5th.. so laughable..

hes not overrated, you are overrating your own opinion..you and like 10 fans in here , weigh up the % that is to all the actual members..it isnt much?

lest get this straight to the other 9 , almost ALL pro sports players are overpaid and never live up to the contracts..move past the money, hes important to this team and only a handful of fans choose to not see it..

freakin trolls..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So, neither am I, but I can understand the difference between a pro football player, and how the NFL does business; versus my life as a fan. Do you question how much actors are paid per movie? Do you question how much singers are paid, per performance? It's all entertainment. If it doesn't bother me that Stafford, Gurley, Julio, Tyron, Cox and others got theirs; then I have no problem with Zeke getting his.

Lol....actors don’t have a salary cap.

There is nothing you can do to change my mind. I don’t care who the back is, I’m not paying 15 million. It’s an opinion. Try not to get all bent out of shape and personally offended.

jay94

Reaction score
lmao

lest take look at ratings
1. you are absolutely nobody when it comes to NFL and Pro sports.. you are fan with a hollow opinion..

2. Zeke when discussed by his counterparts around the league, the National and local media, his teammates, his coaches, and the most important HIS BOSSES ie the owners of the team, they thought it was worth keeping him at his new deal.. they all hold him in high regard, they rate him very high, very relative, and his stats we are always top 1-5 ..and in year hes being called fat slow and lazy because of his deal hes ranked 5th.. so laughable..

hes not overrated, you are overrating your own opinion..you and like 10 fans in here , weigh up the % that is to all the actual members..it isnt much?

lest get this straight to the other 9 , almost ALL pro sports players are overpaid and never live up to the contracts..move past the money, hes important to this team and only a handful of fans choose to not see it..

freakin trolls..

Who the f are you?? Some internet tough guy wow, you get a trophy congratulations. Many people on this forum have claimed him to be the best rb in the league, while he has never 1, received MVP votes, and 2 never been rated by pff to be elite, 3 statistical analysis has broken him down to be nothing more then above average which is fine, there was a whole huge thread on it. Your not worth my time later.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Who the f are you?? Some internet tough guy wow, you get a trophy congratulations. Many people on this forum have claimed him to be the best rb in the league, while he has never 1, received MVP votes, and 2 never been rated by pff to be elite, 3 statistical analysis has broken him down to be nothing more then above average which is fine, there was a whole huge thread on it. Your not worth my time later.
yet you responded..lmao thanks for your time..

simplycowboys210

Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Zeke is a TWO time rushing champion, he would of been three if it wasn't for the stupid **** that happen. Everyone saying he's an "average" running back who got overpaid. Please demonstrate to me, an AVERAGE running back who led the league in rushing two years, and would of all three years of his existence in the NFL. Please and thank you.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Zeke is a TWO time rushing champion, he would of been three if it wasn't for the stupid **** that happen. Everyone saying he's an "average" running back who got overpaid. Please demonstrate to me, an AVERAGE running back who led the league in rushing two years, and would of all three years of his existence in the NFL. Please and thank you.

Tremendous strawman.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lol....actors don’t have a salary cap.

There is nothing you can do to change my mind. I don’t care who the back is, I’m not paying 15 million. It’s an opinion. Try not to get all bent out of shape and personally offended.

There's no emotion anywhere in my statement. Just trying to bring some reality to mitigate your shortsightedness.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There's no emotion anywhere in my statement. Just trying to bring some reality to mitigate your shortsightedness.

I wouldn’t pay any back. It’s a strategy.

And I certainly wouldn’t pay a back before his contract is up.

Insult me all you want. There are at least half the posters on here that agree with that.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wouldn’t pay any back. It’s a strategy.

And I certainly wouldn’t pay a back before his contract is up.

Insult me all you want. There are at least half the posters on here that agree with that.

Not half, but a good portion. Most understand, and couldn't care less. There will be more bloated contracts, bad trades, bad draft picks, and terrible play on the field. This is the NFL.

Zeke, has proven to be a top back in this league. He is not the quickest, fastest, most awesome back the world has ever seen, but he plays for the team I support.

If you want spectacular, watch the Iron Man movies.

CWR

Reaction score
At least he is being honest about it.

I believe this is Cook’s third year in the league. It will be interesting to see if he is willing to play next year without a new deal. Especially given how he is playing this season.

Well he was hurt/out a large part of his first two seasons. He did play well when he was healthy though. I cant remember if he was a first round pick? Pretty sure he was an early round pick, but that fifth year option is key for how Minnesota handles him this offseason.

CWR

Reaction score
Barkely is and always has been bigger than Zeke.

Zeke at the combine: 225
Barkley at the combine: 233

Zeke posted earlier this year that he is at 230.
So how has his weight which is 3 lbs less than what Barkley came into the league at preventing him from getting banged up while a heavier Barkley is somehow banged up due to his weight?

The fact is Barkley at a heavier weight ran faster at their respective combines. Barkley is the heavier superior athlete. It's not even close.

Zeke needs to either lose weight and regain speed or else we'll be stuck with the most expensive RB in history who cannot break long runs. And news flash guys....a 70 yard run is more valuable than a bunch of 5 yard ones. The 70 yard run puts points on the board. The 5 yard run keeps you ahead of the sticks sure...but how many drives stall because of a penalty, sack, int, etc. Explosive plays win games.

I think what Zeke did all game long vs NY was much more valuable than what Saquon did on one play.

You are right in that Saquons screen immediately put them in scoring range, but Id argue its MORE valuable to have someone who consistently moves the chains. Through Zeke we were able to he in scoring position MULTIPLE times.

Good point on the penalties and drive killing mistakes. Those have to be minimized for us to profit from Zeke's style.

I also wish Zeke had his rookie year explosiveness but I cant minimize what he is doing to keep us ahead of the chains. He opens up the playbook and gives us so many more options than 2nd and 3rd and long.

No one in the league is better at getting dirty yards and falling forward. So while he may be a mauler hes elite at what he does.

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think what Zeke did all game long vs NY was much more valuable than what Saquon did on one play.

You are right in that Saquons screen immediately put them in scoring range, but Id argue its MORE valuable to have someone who consistently moves the chains. Through Zeke we were able to he in scoring position MULTIPLE times.

Good point on the penalties and drive killing mistakes. Those have to be minimized for us to profit from Zeke's style.

I also wish Zeke had his rookie year explosiveness but I cant minimize what he is doing to keep us ahead of the chains. He opens up the playbook and gives us so many more options than 2nd and 3rd and long.

No one in the league is better at getting dirty yards and falling forward. So while he may be a mauler hes elite at what he does.
Having a guy who consistently moves hte chains is important.

But I truly believe that any RB behind our line would be able to do this.

If you must pay a RB he should be able to keep you ahead of the chains at a minimum but what you're paying for is splash plays. And well i'm not sure Zeke can do that anymore.

Reactions: CWR

HungryLion

Reaction score
Well he was hurt/out a large part of his first two seasons. He did play well when he was healthy though. I cant remember if he was a first round pick? Pretty sure he was an early round pick, but that fifth year option is key for how Minnesota handles him this offseason.

he was a second rounder. Minny has no 5th year option.

I guess my theory is. Zeke is not going to be the last top end running back to hold out. Running backs know that teams want to use them up and then throw them on the discard pile.

More running backs with the adequate leverage will probably be going the same to route Zeke did.

simplycowboys210

Reaction score
Having a guy who consistently moves hte chains is important.

But I truly believe that any RB behind our line would be able to do this.

If you must pay a RB he should be able to keep you ahead of the chains at a minimum but what you're paying for is splash plays. And well i'm not sure Zeke can do that anymore.
great trade the consistent yards for one screen play for 60 that ended in a field goal. call jerry.