Signed by Cowboys Zeke and Cowboys have agreed to terms

jwitten82

Reaction score
Let’s be real for a minute.

No rookie is going to come in and produce like Zeke will THIS year.

Bijan Robinson - 214 car. 976 yards
Jahmyr Gibbs - 185 car. 945 yards
Devon Achane - 103 car. 800 yards

Robinson and Gibbs were first rounders and Achane a 3rd.

The RBs were much less talented than Robinson and Gibbs. I am sad we didn’t land a guy like Jaylen Wright.
Huh? All those guys listed were way more productive with their carries. Robinson averaged 4.6ypc, Gibbs 5.2 ypc, and Achane with 7.8 ypc. Meanwhile, Zeke averaged 3.5 ypc

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Elliott - 185 carries, 642 yards, 3 TDs

His stat line last year. He was below average last season with the Patriots.
I think he will get more carries here. I'm doubtful he'll average more per carry. Backs in decline usually don't suddenly start going the other way. Even if he can start strong (which is doubtful), it's likely his body won't hold up.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If we had a real starting back and were just hiring Zeke as a cheap, veteran, 3rd down back to fill a hole as we contended then fine.

But none of that is true. Zeke is a pure progress stopper on a team working a rebuild.
Our other backs are Dowdle, Freeman and Vaughn. Whose progress is he stopping?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Our other backs are Dowdle, Freeman and Vaughn. Whose progress is he stopping?
Zeke will keep us from using a roster spot on another young back.

And Deuce is not competing with Zeke. He's competing with Turpin, who outclasses him. Deuce is heading for the PS this year. Work on his route running and pass catching to replace Turpin as the gimmick back in 2025.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If we had a real starting back and were just hiring Zeke as a cheap, veteran, 3rd down back to fill a hole as we contended then fine.
I did agree with this part. I like Zeke and would be happy to see him back on the team if it was as a short-yardage, goal-line back behind a legitimate starter.

I can't blame him, though, for our front office failing to properly address the RB position. I wish him the best.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He ran for a 3.8 yards a carry is his last season with Dallas.
Although I don't agree with everything that Mickey Spagnola writes in his column on the signing at https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-welcome-back-welcome-back-zeke, I do think statistics need to be kept in context.

There is more to running backs than yards per carry. ... So here is a number that might have been overlooked when peeking inside the statistical box instead of just tying a ribbon and bow on it. While playing 11 of the first 13 games in 2022, Zeke was averaging 4.3 yards a carry, and that without Tyron Smith at left tackle the entire season and with Terence Steele at right tackle for those 13 games. In six of those games, he averaged at least 4.1 a carry, with 5.2 in the opener against Tampa Bay, 4.9 and 5.8 in both games against the Giants and 6.2 against the Eagles.

But after Steele went down in Week 14 with a torn ACL against Houston and then Tyron Smith started the next four games at right tackle for the first time since 2012, Zeke's averages fell to 3.6, 3.4, 1.9 and 1.3 in the final four, for a combined 2.7, a significant contribution to Zeke falling from that 4.3 to the 3.8 at the finish.

And in 2023, playing initially a backup role with New England and then starting five of the 17 games he played later in the season, Zeke only played 51 percent of the snaps while with the mostly pathetic 4-13 Patriots, ranked 30th offensively. Still, in his eighth season, Zeke led the Patriots in rushing (642 yards) and in receptions (51 catches for 313 yards), which means he produced a team-high 955 yards from scrimmage and finished second on New England with five total touchdowns, one behind tight end Hunter Henry's six receiving touchdowns, though having played 75 percent of the snaps.
So all this despite quarterbacks Mack Jones and Bailey Zappe averaging 6.1 yards per pass attempt and posting a woeful team QB rating of 73.8, which is why Bill Belichick no longer is the head coach.

Frankly, I think Zeke's knee injury that kept him out two games also affected his average the latter half of his last season here. In no way, do I expect him to average 4 or more yards per carry. I think those days are gone for him, but I do think there was good reason for his play the back half of 2021 and 2022.

Now, the argument against what Spagnola says is Pollard averaged 5.2 on the same team. However, in his final four game that year, he averaged 4.2, 3.9, 2.1 and 2.7. (Pollard also missed a game due to injury.)

sacase

Reaction score

But none of that is true. Zeke is a pure progress stopper on a team working a rebuild.
Whose progress is he stopping? Lol

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Crummy, boring offseason.

Zeke signing is the most popular news I’ve seen on this forum all offseason.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to play through that, much less play well. I don't blame Elliott for his body failing him. He held up really well for years, but now that it's starting to break down, I can't see that getting any better. There is no fountain of youth in football.
No but healed as much as he is and behind a good O-Line he should be effective.