Signed by Cowboys Zeke and Cowboys have agreed to terms

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Although I don't agree with everything that Mickey Spagnola writes in his column on the signing at https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-welcome-back-welcome-back-zeke, I do think statistics need to be kept in context.

Frankly, I think Zeke's knee injury that kept him out two games also affected his average the latter half of his last season here. In no way, do I expect him to average 4 or more yards per carry. I think those days are gone for him, but I do think there was good reason for his play the back half of 2021 and 2022.

Now, the argument against what Spagnola says is Pollard averaged 5.2 on the same team. However, in his final four game that year, he averaged 4.2, 3.9, 2.1 and 2.7. (Pollard also missed a game due to injury.)
Another point of analysis would be last year and what Elliott did with the Patriots which was a 3.5 yards per carry average. Now I hear people say they had a awful OL and terrible QB, but R. Stevenson behind that same line and QB with about the same number of carries ran for a 4.0 yards per carry average.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I have seen what they do and the results for the last 25 years, how many years do you need to see it before you realize they do not know what they are doing. I am just looking at playoff wins which should be the goal. Only 3 teams in the NFL with less of those then the Cowboys.
I don't need the constant reminder of how long it's been since we've been to an NFC championship game I do not care I mean I would love that to happen again but every season's new every season is a one off stop living in the past but if you choose to keep doing this I don't need the reminder most of us can do math it's actually a little longer than that but I choose to look at it as we have 3 Super Bowls and 33 years line me up all the other teams in the same 33 years and tell me how we stack up that's all I care about cause we're waiting on number 6 jerries waiting on #4 again there's been huge gaps for other teams having droughts 52 years for the Kansas City Chiefs in between their wins that's a whole lot longer than 27 years an eagle 60 years one Super Bowl I don't wanna hear about what you think should be happening look at it as a new year A1 off it's a week to week league parity has arrived..

I hate to break it to you but I'm not joining your little pity party I'm not grabbing some torches and pitchforks because you know what all this griping complaining isn't changing a damn thing ohh it is is giving some of us fans headaches you're redundant we're tired of hearing about it if you don't like the way things are ran at the front office if you think your team is underperforming if you think they're a circus if you think they're no good you don't like the direction they're going in go away this is not a requirement of life to follow a team!!! No one is holding you all hostage...

CCBoy

Reaction score
BS. I know what my eyes see. … ‘Lies, damn lies, and statistics.’ - attributable to Benjamin Disraeli through Mark Twain (?).

Zeke: 6’0” - 226 lbs … Tony: 6’0” - 209 lbs. I guess 17 lbs might make a difference.

Anyway… Pollard is no great shakes as a blocker - Zeke is just s better blocker. Hey… let’s ask Dak.
Ever get the bladder award after a rugby tournament?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
One thing that can give us some hope. Patriot's OLINE was bottom of the league. Our run blocking worsted throughout Zeke tenure. If we can improve run blocking, I would expect Zeke to be able to improve. His vision has never been the problem.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just do it a lot slower with very little explosiveness.
We'll just see if this Dallas offensive line shows any fear or hesitance against your movie stars...already started filming?

Robster8989

Reaction score
$2M guaranteed...still crying also about the 4th round going for a QB already trained for a year?
Zeke is a minimum player at this point in his career. Who else was going to pay him more than that?
And I have no idea what your talking re the 4th, I never cryed about the Lance trade.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
He should have never been cut tbh. They should have allowed him to re-do his deal for less money, they still could have given the reigns to Pollard as RB1, and they still would have seen he’s not the guy.
This would've been way smarter than the release resign he is basically a 7mill cap hit RB this year..again this is not about Zeke this is about an idiot (football idiot obviously the man understands business) playing NFL GM...He would've reworked his contract last year...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You may be right.. When I have some time I will go look it up and post the numbers here.
Here is what the two men did inside the 10 yard line the last four seasons:

Henry 35 carries 71 yards (2.1) 10 TD 13 first downs
Elliott 32 carries 39 yards (1.2) 5 TD 9 first downs
Henry 17 carries 47 yards (2.8) 7 TD 9 first downs
Elliott 17 carries 25 yards (1.5) 7 TD 8 first downs
Henry 17 carries 27 yards (1.6) 10 TD 10 first downs
Elliot 22 carries 53 yards (2.0) 11 TD 13 first downs
Henry 24 carries 36 yards (1.5) 8 TD 8 first downs
Elliott 11 carries 28 yards (2.5) 3 TD 4 first downs

I believe for statistical purpose they count a touchdown also as a first down so this should not be read as first downs and touchdowns are separate. Because of the ambiguity in the accounting though I will focus though on TDs.

I think we can see that over the last three seasons it's a virtual dead heat. Elliott has scored on 21 of 50 totes from 10 and in for a healthy 42% success rate. Henry by comparison has scored on 25 of 58 carries for 43%. Ironically Henry's success rate WAS better in 2019 and 2020. He scored 20 TDs on 59 carries to 12 on 69 for Zeke. Although we should not forget that Zeke played 2020 suffering from Covid after-effects behind a line that was missing Tyron for most of the year, a rookie Steele at RT for most of the year, Connor (revolving door) Williams at LG and a rookie Biadasz at center. And just for fun throw in Zack Martin gimped for half the games. And if recall correctly we shut him down for the last 4 or 5.

Over the past two seasons they've gone back to about even.. Zeke at 42.4% (14/33) and Henry at 43.9% (18/41) .. Still the numbers don't lie. Over the past four seasons Henry would have to be given a slight edge over Zeke.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Another point of analysis would be last year and what Elliott did with the Patriots which was a 3.5 yards per carry average. Now I hear people say they had a awful OL and terrible QB, but R. Stevenson behind that same line and QB with about the same number of carries ran for a 4.0 yards per carry average.

Stevenson had one 64 yard TD when the defense parted like the red sea. Without that one run his average is about the same as Zeke's. Stevenson also didn't have to play with the line stinking AND Bailey (Who?) Zappe at QB since he got hurt before they made the switch.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think you would have to look into the numbers there. I can't say that I know, but did Elliott get more short-yardage carries than Stevenson, more goal-line carries, etc.? Situational stats can be the difference in average as can long runs. Depending on the number of carries, if a back breaks one, it can make a huge difference.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think you would have to look into the numbers there. I can't say that I know, but did Elliott get more short-yardage carries than Stevenson, more goal-line carries, etc.? Situational stats can be the difference in average as can long runs. Depending on the number of carries, if a back breaks one, it can make a huge difference.
Stevenson broke one.. though as I said.. it had more to do with the line or catching the other team in a bad defense. He went 64 yards right up the B gap without a defender laying a hand on him. The other factor is that Stevenson had Zeke to keep him fresh in his 12 starts. Once he went down the Pats didn't trust anybody else so it was all Zeke all the time. That and Zeke's starts all coming with Zappe at QB made all the difference. Jones was bad but he was at least a threat to pass no matter how small. Defenses pretty much ignored Zappe as a pass threat. And with good reason. Dude only topped 200 passing yards 3 times in his 6 starts and was under 100 yards (88) in the last game of the season. His 6 TD to 9 INTs had Pats fans chanting for Mac Jones to be brought back!

Nobody thinks Zeke is going to come in and be dominant.. but I don't think for a second he's gonna come in and fall on his face either.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I did agree with this part. I like Zeke and would be happy to see him back on the team if it was as a short-yardage, goal-line back behind a legitimate starter.
Even if we had a starter ahead of Zeke, I still wouldn't be happy because I don't think we're contending.

Zeke's are for contenders who can't find someone better to plug a particular hole. You're trying to maximize the team now.

That's not us. We should be building a roster. Particularly at RB, which should be a churn churn churn position anyway. Zeke's roster spot should go to developmental RBs as we try to hit on one.

stiletto

Reaction score
I will say this:

- Fundamentally I am against going backwards...you threw it out, the trash is on the curb and then you back into the trash and rummage to find something you already agreed was TRASH.
- That said, there were a number of times on Sundays I would look up and ask, "Who is that #15...?" and it was Zeke. He's got something...just don't know how much.
Good description. That's what they did basically as far as backing up to the trash pile.. They did it for retro-love pretty much. Who cares...?

Semantics aside, progress has pretty much stopped because of who is coaching and Q-Bing this team. Pretty dark times, not as bad as the early 2000s but it's not far off really if they continue. Hopefully it is just one year that they aren't moving forward and they are just trying to get away from the terrible contract of Dak and letting others ride off into the sunset. Probably giving them too much foresight. LOL

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Even if we had a starter ahead of Zeke, I still wouldn't be happy because I don't think we're contending.

Zeke's are for contenders who can't find someone better to plug a particular hole. You're trying to maximize the team now.

That's not us. We should be building a roster. Particularly at RB, which should be a churn churn churn position anyway. Zeke's roster spot should go to developmental RBs as we try to hit on one.
If Jerry thinks we're contending, that's all that matters. Some see this as a rebuilding year. I think he's still trying to win with his strategy. That's why you sign someone like Kendricks, that's why you sign someone like Elliott.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I don't need the constant reminder of how long it's been since we've been to an NFC championship game I do not care I mean I would love that to happen again but every season's new every season is a one off stop living in the past but if you choose to keep doing this I don't need the reminder most of us can do math it's actually a little longer than that but I choose to look at it as we have 3 Super Bowls and 33 years line me up all the other teams in the same 33 years and tell me how we stack up that's all I care about cause we're waiting on number 6 jerries waiting on #4 again there's been huge gaps for other teams having droughts 52 years for the Kansas City Chiefs in between their wins that's a whole lot longer than 27 years an eagle 60 years one Super Bowl I don't wanna hear about what you think should be happening look at it as a new year A1 off it's a week to week league parity has arrived..

I hate to break it to you but I'm not joining your little pity party I'm not grabbing some torches and pitchforks because you know what all this griping complaining isn't changing a damn thing ohh it is is giving some of us fans headaches you're redundant we're tired of hearing about it if you don't like the way things are ran at the front office if you think your team is underperforming if you think they're a circus if you think they're no good you don't like the direction they're going in go away this is not a requirement of life to follow a team!!! No one is holding you all hostage...
Wow. . . Post of the century. Thank you for putting into words how I have felt. Bravo

NotForLong

Reaction score

Where are you gonna get this developmental RB from? And if you do find one. Will he not just be another cog in the RB by committee

I for one wish we had Zeke in the goal line role last year. I realize the contract would not allow for it. But he is back now. Cowboys could get 750 yards and 12 TD out of him and I would be happy