Zeke and NFL have discussed settlement

Sydla

Reaction score
Keep thinking more, because you are wrong. Winning in court isn't the only objective. NFL needs good news right now. This isn't helping them.

If they have a locked in win in court, as you seem to claim they do, you don't suddenly negotiate something like this just to get some good PR.

In fact, at this point, settling the Elliott case would be NEGATIVE PR for them.

Try again.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Said this in another thread but the timing of all this during the owners meetings makes me think this settlement could all be part of a larger agreement. Jerry goes along with the other owners on the topic we can't discuss. Jerry gets the draft in Dallas and Zeke's situation settled. Goodell gets his extension and hopefully Friel gets shown the door.

Gaede

Reaction score
Possible they are trying to avoid another loss in court--not just because of Elliot, but because of the precedent it would set for future cases?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok if I'm Zeke, I'll take a settlement.
Here's my deal

1. Drop everything, all suspension talks etc
  2. Public apology for wasting my time, and the cowboys time
  3. Cowboys get to host a Super Bowl
  4. Public apology for messing up the Dez catch in greenbay
  5. We get to swap BJones for Landon Collins
  6. He takes Taco back and gives us Reuben Foster
  7. We get Leary back
  8. Makes Belichek coach the cowboys
  9. Autographed photo of Ed Hochuli
And give us Landon Collins

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No deal. ...i want to see roger and lisa on the stand under oath on national tv. Which is exactly what the nfl is trying to avoid.

Whether they think they can win, lose or draw they do not want to take the stand under oath...because the most important case they WILL lose is the case of public opinion once the press and fans see how corrupt the nfl and their process is.

And I think they're finally starting to realize that all of this off the field crap is having a huge negative impact on their overall product. The true money-paying fans are getting sick of it.

Sports is an escape for the masses from the sometimes ugliness of everyday life. And now, with a mess like this and others, football isn't now causing more stress, angst, and hostility rather than being a way to get away from it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Hmmmmm what's this about

I'm glad they're at least trying to work something out. That's how most sane parties attempt to resolve disagreements, rather than filing motion after motion.

jaybird

Reaction score
Ok if I'm Zeke, I'll take a settlement.
Here's my deal

1. Drop everything, all suspension talks etc
  2. Public apology for wasting my time, and the cowboys time
  3. Cowboys get to host a Super Bowl
  4. Public apology for messing up the Dez catch in greenbay
  5. We get to swap BJones for Landon Collins
  6. He takes Taco back and gives us Reuben Foster
  7. We get Leary back
  8. Makes Belichek coach the cowboys
  9. Autographed photo of Ed Hochuli
You're Helirous

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Possible they are trying to avoid another loss in court--not just because of Elliot, but because of the precedent it would set for future cases?

I think that's something that needs to happen. If Elliott were to be punished like this, under these circumstances, it sets an awful precedent for every player in the league.

It basically turns on a neon sign that says "Open For Business" for every money-grubbing opportunist out there. You don't have to "prove" anything, the NFL will take your side strictly for the sake of PR, and the perception that they care about domestic violence.

Players would be "guilty" without any benefit of a trial. Of course the gold diggers would be paid off. There is no "he said/ she said", it's simply "she said" and the league believes it. Even when it comes from an obvious piece of trash with the worst name and reputation.

I hope the league isn't being inundated with this one's most recent pictures.

"Nice going Roger! This is what you've chosen to side with!"

The precedent that the league is trying to set here needs to be obliterated. Not simply for Zeke Elliott, but for every other player in the league. Because if this one stands, they're all in danger of being next.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
And I think they're finally starting to realize that all of this off the field crap is having a huge negative impact on their overall product. The true money-paying fans are getting sick of it.

Sports is an escape for the masses from the sometimes ugliness of everyday life. And now, with a mess like this and others, football isn't now causing more stress, angst, and hostility rather than being a way to get away from it.
This is 100% right on the money. We enjoy football as an escape from everyday grind......

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I disagree that offering a settlement indicates the NFL knows it will lose in court.

I think the NFL is 1. Recognizing that they are off the hook from a PR standpoint; a lot believe Zeke is innocent.

And 2 Rodgers is out for the season in a league where there aren't many big stars to begin with and ratings are down. No need to give your audience further reason to tune out.

lopey

Reaction score
Keep dreaming. NFL has 90% chance of winning in long run.
If they have 90% chance of winning, why would they settle? I think they are worried about the entire process.

Sydla

Reaction score
I disagree that offering a settlement indicates the NFL knows it will lose in court.

I think the NFL is 1. Recognizing that they are off the hook from a PR standpoint; a lot believe Zeke is innocent.

And 2 Rodgers is out for the season in a league where there aren't many big stars to begin with and ratings are down. No need to give your audience further reason to tune out.

Not sure they know they will lose but rather they are realizing they might lose. Two weeks ago, they probably were in the "no shot" to lose category.

If they settle, they will take a huge PR hit. So for them to entertain the idea of settling, it's telling. I think they are afraid of the ramifications long term if they lose.

Or maybe they know something about the girl that's about to come out that will totally sink whatever thin case they had. Unlikely, but I guess possible.

Biag

Reaction score
I would take the deal if it were this:

Two game suspension for conduct detrimental.

NFL MUST drop any mention of domestic violence. No counseling, or future possibilities of being banned for life.
My thoughts exactly.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Said this in another thread but the timing of all this during the owners meetings makes me think this settlement could all be part of a larger agreement. Jerry goes along with the other owners on the topic we can't discuss. Jerry gets the draft in Dallas and Zeke's situation settled. Goodell gets his extension and hopefully Friel gets shown the door.
100% !!!!! I agree. It’s all a setup.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Zeke shouldn't take any form of punishment. Zero. Zilch. Nada. This entire PR mess is only because of the vindictive, non-chargeable, nonprosecutable, DV claim, including the supposed conduct detrimental to league of pulling a woman's top down and being at a bar fight, which are a result of the excessive media focus of the former.

It's a joke that this whole process has even gotten this far, and egg should be on the face of the NFL for overstepping its bounds when it comes to issues of legality and fundamental fairness because of reasons of PR instead of right action.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Surprised you continue to show lack of understanding of employment law. Zeke will almost certainly lose long run - 90% chance. No way NFL agrees to this stuff. They may agree to a walk away 2-game suspension at best with a redefined definition of suspension. They aren't firing anyone, apologizing, or agreeing to a different panel. That is throw a way emotional s**it that never gets through any legal process based upon logic (I have been there). Nobody agrees to that kind of stuff in a corporate negotiation.

I've basically followed what Daniel Wallach has been reporting and his opinions because he has followed the case diligently and been in court in person. More importantly, he's been pretty much dead on correct as to what goes on and he now believes that EE will win his case.

All of this depends on the accuracy of the report. If the NFL has come to EE about a settlement, it shows that they are now worried they will lose the case. If David Moore failed to mention that it was EE's team that came to the NFL about a settlement...then that's a different story.

If it is the former, then I negotiate a hard deal. Your first offer in negotiations or settlements should always be a strong one in your favor because you never know what you may get and if your offer gets rebuked then you have wiggle room to still get what you want as you continue your negotiations.

In summation, you're right...I don't really know much about employment law. But, I trust Daniel Wallach's expertise over your opinions and I do know a lot of about negotiations and settlements since I've been involved with them on a corporate level for the past 15 years which includes union negotiations.

YR