Zeke and NFL have discussed settlement

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Said this in another thread but the timing of all this during the owners meetings makes me think this settlement could all be part of a larger agreement. Jerry goes along with the other owners on the topic we can't discuss. Jerry gets the draft in Dallas and Zeke's situation settled. Goodell gets his extension and hopefully Friel gets shown the door.
Exactly what I was thinking. Jerry wouldn't lay down on the protest issue unless he gets a sweet deal in return.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I get it, but Zeke did have a rocky offseason and I think even he has admitted he needs to make better choices. I dont believe taking a one game suspension for conduct detrimental and being cleared of DV would be a bad choice on Zekes part. But hell this is all speculation anyways. We have no idea what the supposed settlement looks like.

The NFL has separated out the other offseason incidents from this one-- so any punishment they levy has to be applied based on the merits of Thompson's accusations. Either he hit her- or he didn't. There is actually not much gray area here-- and even if he did hit her-- the NFL has violated his rights as a defendant so blatantly that their case should be tossed entirely or completely retried by a new objective court-appointed arbitrator.

Reactions: CWR

packpitts

Reaction score
I would take the deal if it were this:

Two game suspension for conduct detrimental.

NFL MUST drop any mention of domestic violence. No counseling, or future possibilities of being banned for life.
NO

Sydla

Reaction score
IIRC, he's said nothing about that. I know Mike Fisher has been following him and Fisher has been predicting that. But Wallach has stated that he thought EE had a case all along, that there were differences between this and the Brady case.

The only thing I can recall him being wrong on is that he didn't think the NFL would win the most recent appeal. But he then predicted that EE would file for a TRO and be granted it again this week.

I haven't really followed Wallach before September, so if he predicted that prior to September then I apologize.

YR

Sorry for the confusion. Don't mean Wallach, mean goshan, the poster. His credibility here seems to be lacking.

Last edited:

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Would make no sense if he's innocent.

It would, in that he’s going to lose. You have said so yourself. If the league is willing to remove the “strike” against him and more or less make this violation conduct detrimental to league, instead of a domestic violence offense and walk back the language they used, it makes tons of sense.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Good point but I disagree. Look a M Irvin, M Vick and many other players who have been convicted of much worse than what this case has shown.
Also the accuser is not a child or a actress in Hollywood. She's evidently a skank and teams, fans, businesses and people in general have a tendency to move on and forget unless the charges are very significant or on video. If Zeke goes on to become the go to RB of the DC, the endorsements will follow.

True, people will forgive and forget. But I don’t see Arby’s or subway lining up to give him endorsements.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
True, people will forgive and forget. But I don’t see Arby’s or subway lining up to give him endorsements.
Not this minute but if/when they settle, the car dealerships will start calling and it will move up from there. It really depends on his future performance as well. When or if he's hoisting a trophy, look out because they will all come begging for Zeke.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. Don't mean Wallach, mean goshan, the poster. His credibility here seems to be lacking.

Exactly.

And from what I've seen so far, there are more judges telling the NFL and their lawyers that they don't understand employment law either than there have been judges telling them they do understand employment law.

YR

Sydla

Reaction score
To get back to the timeline.......... Elliott has his TRO now and could have a PI in roughly two weeks. If he's granted the PI, the NFL would have the option to file an appeal to CA2. Now the timing of when that hearing could take place might affect the NFL's decision to file an appeal or not.

But there is an actual case in the system right? Up until now, we've just seen mostly legal wrangling to allow Elliott to play while they real case plays out in court. When would the full hearing on the merits of the case? Likely in the offseason?

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
For the love of God just settle this thing, i'm so sick of this and the kneeling coverage. It used to be my escape from "real life" to sit down and watch coverage, or a game and only talk about the match ups.

I'm at the breaking point with the NFL, i'll watch the cowboys but the rest has lost the appeal.

-Ben, in Cincinnati

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Lol @ Arby’s and Subway not lining up. The best he can get now is Family Dollar and Wonder Bread.

Thanks Goodell!

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Not sure they know they will lose but rather they are realizing they might lose. Two weeks ago, they probably were in the "no shot" to lose category.

That's probably affecting their decision, yeah I agree.

If they settle, they will take a huge PR hit. So for them to entertain the idea of settling, it's telling. I think they are afraid of the ramifications long term if they lose.

See that's the thing I'm getting at. I don't know if they take a big PR hit.

We all know this suspension was levied because the league didn't think it could afford to take another hit like with Josh Brown or Ray Rice.

But we're now over a year past the alleged altercation and it's clear there is no 'elevator camera' type bombshell that's going to blow up in their face.

It actually seems like all the details the NFL has are out in the open and the court of public opinion's verdict ranges from "meh" to "There's not enough here/the league is out of control".

IMO, the league has already won from a PR standpoint regardless of what happens next.

Or maybe they know something about the girl that's about to come out that will totally sink whatever thin case they had. Unlikely, but I guess possible.

Maybe. But I kind of doubt it. Their whole case was flimsy as it is. Anything short of the victim admitting she lied wouldn't be much different.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
I think with two judges who have echoed "lack of fairness" has caught the eye of the NFL and they know going to trial will expose the unfair due process Zeke was given that violates Article 46. If I'm Zeke, I don't take any deal. Let the NFL process be exposed. I can almost bet Zeke wins in court and the NFL feels the same way with two judges already highlighting "lack of fairness" in their decision to grant a TRO.

erod

Reaction score
Ok if I'm Zeke, I'll take a settlement.
Here's my deal

1. Drop everything, all suspension talks etc
  2. Public apology for wasting my time, and the cowboys time
  3. Cowboys get to host a Super Bowl
  4. Public apology for messing up the Dez catch in greenbay
  5. We get to swap BJones for Landon Collins
  6. He takes Taco back and gives us Reuben Foster
  7. We get Leary back
  8. Makes Belichek coach the cowboys
  9. Autographed photo of Ed Hochuli

Ed's signature? Maybe a selfie with him?

DONE!

erod

Reaction score
Lest we forget, if Zeke takes any suspension for this type of offense, he loses the guaranteed money clause in his contract, from what I understand.

And another offense would be a year suspension.

Perhaps that could be negotiated, too.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's probably affecting their decision, yeah I agree.

See that's the thing I'm getting at. I don't know if they take a big PR hit.

We all know this suspension was levied because the league didn't think it could afford to take another hit like with Josh Brown or Ray Rice.

But we're now over a year past the alleged altercation and it's clear there is no 'elevator camera' type bombshell that's going to blow up in their face.

It actually seems like all the details the NFL has are out in the open and the court of public opinion's verdict ranges from "meh" to "There's not enough here/the league is out of control".

IMO, the league has already won from a PR standpoint regardless of what happens next.

Maybe. But I kind of doubt it. Their whole case was flimsy as it is. Anything short of the victim admitting she lied wouldn't be much different.

They got a lot of positive feedback from women's groups, and many in the media over their firm stance on Elliott.

If they cut a deal now and walk back his suspension, those same groups and many in the media are going to skewer them. And they know it. So for them to even entertain a settlement, they are most likely weighing negative PR of settling versus a significant blow to their power under the CBA if they lose this case.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I agree 100%

If you are guaranteed that the truth will prevail, by all means. However we all know the system is flawed. Given that there is a CBA that gives the Commissioner hugely broad powers, it is going to have to be proven that he has abused those beyond a doubt. That isn't going to be easy. I think there is a very slim chance overall that the penalty gets dismissed.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Being in the news too much.
Using that logic, Goodell should be suspended for conduct detrimental, as well...he's been in the news just as much as Zeke (and it has not been for positive publicity for him or the league). Of course, that won't happen but Goodell has hurt the NFL's image far more than Zeke has, IMO.